Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Show us your Chicken Strips

276K views 3K replies 241 participants last post by  Smitty965 
#1 ·
Hey guys, post pix of your chicken strips....:rock

#1,354 ·
Fast in the middle and slow on the edges :(

Springs too soft so really I can't complain about the rear wear.

How's the front look to you? I think maybe slightly fast rebound and maybe and 1 psi or 2 to clean it up a bit?

This is on my Aprilia Dorsoduro, 1290 is gone bye bye lol.

#1,360 ·
I'm glad to see that the point has gotten through to someone. Actually, I see it being a toss-up between rebound and tire pressure at the tracks.

But yes, most issues will come back to rebound, if it's a single cause issue. Probably has to do with the fact that rebound damping is what is controlling the spring's response after an event. Too fast and stability and feel can suffer; too slow and you are trying to get traction.

But, all things are not always single issue and at some point personal preference will take over. For those it become impossible to completely understand without checking the other settings and finding out what the rider expects. It's easy to do with some of the riders I work with because they have heard the same questions over and over. To the point where Marcelo and a few others tell me what they encountered and answer half my questions before I ask them. It does amount to something, from what I've experienced, since those riders have gotten faster, smoother (sometimes), and generally experience better tire life/traction.

#1,359 ·
Honestly I think it's because it's the easiest one to mess up, it's the one you would push the most.

Compression for instance means the entrance of the turn a lot faster, which is where most people would hesitate, since it's easier to control the exit than the entrance.

This is my guess. Dan would be the one to answer that though

#1,363 ·
We're all rookies :fact

Only two ways you'll know the answer, either by asking or finding out the hard way :lol

#1,371 ·
If you're not pushing it at all and just using the bike as a commuter the Shinko will do just fine :fact

#1,374 ·
Well I took a lot of pics but later realized that most were so close that you couldn't tell if it was front or rear or direction of travel but here's a few of the right rear, Then the front (both sides).
Lastly, A pic of my front zip tie. I think I'm using about the right amount of travel but am looking for opinions on anything relevant.
These were taken after running the back side of Ortega Hwy (So Cal) about 5 times. I had a hard time finding empty spaces between traffic. Then about 15 mile ride home.
I found that I wasn't going quite as fast as I did on my 05R1 but I haven't run that road but a few times in the last 8 years. Towards the end of the day my speeds were almost on par.
I have my first track day booked at Chuckwalla Oct 5th, so I'm trying to get back in practice.

Attachments

#1,376 ·
Tires are looking ok, make sure to set your pressure properly before going out....and have fun :D

turn-in feels a little weird... any ideas? lol
Youve got more than turn in issues there :lol

Man i hate winter soo much

#1,380 ·
Tire just looks completely worn out. Hard to give a good reading on it

#1,396 ·
What we need is side pictures, where the smaller grooves are

#1,394 ·
No, it is get help tuning the suspension so you don't chew up a tire thread....

#1,398 ·
Well i can see he gets on the gas pretty early which is good. If my eyes arent lying to me i see a slight bit of fast rebound raising from the grooves.

#1,402 ·
Rare for a shock. But why would it be too fast? Remember that it's almost never too fast rebound on a shock.

I was told about lighter springs also for the forks from a friend. I was thinking about throwing in ohlins fork springs and those piston kit for now until I get the actual whole Ohlins fork and rear shock. Speaking of rear shock, is the stock one good enough til then?

Dara
When I started the suspension 101 thread, I used to think everything had to be done at once, and the forks were the weak link on most bikes. And overall I still have that opinion with regard to racing and track riding. And conversation with Dave M. has reinforced that for those types of riding.

But when it comes to street riding, I am pretty firmly of the opinion that springs for your weight are the way to go. The damping curve may be off, but it may be negligible for a street rider.

So before you toss out the stock components for a couple thousand dollars of aftermarket parts; consider some proper springs.

Rebound is too slow? Looks like the front lip of the groove are raised.
Too slow would be rear edge typically. And it's usually a given that we can not normally go fast enough on rebound in the rear end of a motorcycle.

But why? Why is he seeing possible signs of fast rebound?

#1,405 ·
I think it is Dan's mantra....Start with Sag...

#1,407 ·
I was going to say, pretty positive you answered why the fast rebound when you mentioned the springs for street riding. The correct spring should help the problem due to the fact that he weighs less than my dog :lol