Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Show us your Chicken Strips

276K views 3K replies 241 participants last post by  Smitty965 
#1 ·
Hey guys, post pix of your chicken strips....:rock

#1,844 ·
Metzeler K3, pretty good tyre for the street. But not for trackdays... :(

Wrong pressure....

It was overheating, impossible to solve with pressure or suspension. Hot pressure was around 2.2 bar. I change the front K3 for a K1 and... fixed :)

This day we have 42ºC (around 108ºF) and plenty of sun and the track temperature was totally horrible. Street tyres burnt there.

Metzelers are not the greatest tires in general. But for street riding, almost anything will do.

Yes you did over heat that tire. Street tires are a lot softer than the softest track tire so they can warm up quicker since, for the most part, they're not being pushed while street riding.

#1,839 ·
Wrong pressure....

#1,840 · (Edited)
It was overheating, impossible to solve with pressure or suspension. Hot pressure was around 2.2 bar. I changed the front K3 for a K1 and... fixed :)

This day we had 42ºC (around 108ºF) and plenty of sun and the track temperature was totally horrible. Street tyres burnt there.

#1,841 ·
2.2 bar=31psi?.....

#1,845 ·
Here's mine from last weekend. Curious to hear general thoughts. Track is left turn dominant. I apologize for the pictures not being ideal for analyzing, I didn't take these with the intention of posting here. I was getting a lot of sliding on the left of the tire as well, I'm thinking mostly due to the tire having it's 4th or 5th track day on it.

#1,848 ·
Here's mine from last weekend. Curious to hear general thoughts. Track is left turn dominant. I apologize for the pictures not being ideal for analyzing, I didn't take these with the intention of posting here. I was getting a lot of sliding on the left of the tire as well, I'm thinking mostly due to the tire having it's 4th or 5th track day on it.
Interesting picture.

Have you resprung that shock? And how long since the last service/rebuild?

#1,847 ·
Looks good Buzz! You need dune track plastics:fact...

You will need to do a weekend with N2, because I have a 12 day pass with them. I am trying to talk gearheaded into coming up for an NCBIKE weekend this year too.

Reactions: Lenny ZX9R
#1,854 ·
new set of tyres after 2 sessions at a trackday on wednesday last week.

felt good to get back on the track after about 2 years away!

Looking good bud :thumbup

#1,857 ·
If thats a front I'm really intrigued to it. Do you have a shot of the rear as well?

I'm wondering if messing around with the geometry would unload the rear and load the front a bit more.

#1,858 ·
This is a Metzeler Racetec RR, it was wearing nice and clean until this happened during the last session of the day. If I remember correctly, I had it at 25psi off the warmers and it would gain 2-3psi off the track.

I think I know what caused this mess, tire pressure was too high causing cold tears. I didn't check the pressure before the last run, and the sun had come out and the ambient temp had risen along with the track temp. I checked the pressure after I saw the chunks of rubber peeled off and it was at 30psi.:eek5:

It was my mistake and I'm considering it a lesson in tire care. I also need to work on my throttle application. Should be earlier and smoother. This was only my second track day on this particular bike and I was still sorting out some things. Stock rearsets were messing with my foot position, made it hard to keep my toe sliders off the deck and I would open the throttle abruptly once I had the bike stood back up. I've installed Vortex rearsets since then so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

My question is; will the tears heal up if the tire is run at the correct pressure?

Should I flip the tire first?

It will not be used in the rain so the direction of the sipes don't really matter. I'm thinking that it should heal itself without flipping it, but if it doesn't start to clean up after a session I'll either flip it or replace it. Depends on how it looks.

#1,860 · (Edited)
This one really confuses me...you say it got hotter outside....so then the pressure would need to be raised....and the pressure gain was too much so the tire was too hot....which also points to needing a higher pressure.....but you claim that it was a cold tare.....shouldn't it have been a hot tare based on all the other evidence? Did you sit on pit road for a long time before the start of the session and let the tire cool down but go at it like they were smokin hot on the first lap (thus asking to much of them when they were cold)?

Dan, Marcelo am I correct to be confused? Or what am I missing here? Is it actually a hot tare in the picture?

Cold Tare:

Your Tare:

Hot Tare:

Yours almost looks like a faint hot tare...or a cold tare that cleaned up through the rest of that session........:dunno....I am confused.....

#1,862 · (Edited)
So a hot tare in reality?

#1,863 ·
So a hot tare in realty?
I'd go with overheating to some degree. But if one or two pounds increase didn't help, I'd consider a different compound.

Reactions: Tad158
#1,865 ·
I was going to say, that looks more like the line where he was getting on the throttle. By the end of the day, confidence higher, more relaxed because youre tired, you actually put fast laps down. Unless the temperature change was dramatic, i would say he was just going harder on the tire without knowing.

Reactions: Tad158
#1,866 ·
This was on my ZX10 in case anyone was wondering, I normally ride my 600 at the track. There is about 80hp difference between the two bikes. I can openly admit that I am still adjusting to the Ninja on the track. Not sure if it matters, but this was at NJMP lightning, which has one very long and fast right hand turn before the straight. I was passing a lot of other riders around the outside of that section.

It was specifically turn one where I was not managing the throttle as well as I would have liked. I was having trouble getting my inside foot positioned correctly due to the shape of the stock pegs and the camber of that turn. Worrying about dragging my foot leads to being off the throttle, which leads to parking it in the turn which leads to whacking the throttle open once I'm over the hump in turn one...

There are a couple of reasons why I initially thought this was a cold tear. First reason, the spots where the rubber chunked are pretty deep. Looking at the tire, it kind of reminds me of digging through an orange peel with my finger nail.

The other reason is that I found a picture on one of Dave Moss's tire tutorials, it was a Pirelli slick with "way way too much air" in it. I thought it looked a lot like my band of tearing on my Metzeler. For those who don't know, the Racetec RR is very similar to a Supercorsa SC.

Am I seeing this right?

I fully understand that the big bike is going to eat tires at a faster rate than the 600. I just don't like the way this tire is wearing and I want to try to get it wearing evenly before it turns into a canoe.

Attachments

#1,869 ·
I think the last reason is the biggest contributing factor for why it looks the way it does. Be smooth and the stopwatch will reward you:fact

#1,871 ·
Thanks to DanQ and Marcelo for passing on their knowledge.:bow

#1,872 ·
I can see the rubber, and Marcelo can see the technique. You're seeing both, so it's a pleasure to watch you analyze.

One thing that helps with cold problems is seeing chunks missing from deep within the carcass. Hot does something different, and cold seems pretty chaotic. Not sure if that makes sense, but it usually helps me figure things out.

Reactions: MaRce1o
#1,873 ·
The deep tearing and the shape of the tears is what made me think it was cold tearing from the start. It didn't occur to me that the tire had already begun to heal itself, which would naturally make the tire harder to read.

I'm going to flip the tire and try to get another day out of it. I mostly ride at Thunderbolt which leaves the left side of the tire practically untouched compared to the right side. I'll be sure to work on my throttle control primarily, which should be easier when I'm on a track that I'm much more familiar with.

Thanks guys

#1,877 · (Edited)
no chicken here, although there is more to go yet :)

:)

Reactions: Bdog
#1,878 ·
Bdog, your picture is broken.

60thannR1 they look pretty good. There might be a tiny compression triangle, but I think that would be nit picking.

Reactions: MaRce1o
#1,879 ·
Update on my Metzeler rear tire that I chunked up a few months ago:

Went to thunderbolt Monday with ACE. Rained until 10ish, track was decent by noon. Heavy wind after lunch, great for drying the track but keeping the bike on pavement got tricky at certain points. Pavement felt cold, even in direct sunlight. Still a good day at the track, though. I brought my friend out for his first track day ever, he rode his 2015 R1. I was on my ZX10 in the advanced group.

I had the pressure set at 29f and 25r on the warmers and kept it there. The rear tire looks a lot better, I can still see where the chunks were ripped out but they were becoming less noticeable every time out. I think I can get one more day out of it, probably two if I flip it now.

Attachments

#1,880 · (Edited)
Since we aren't seeing many pictures of front tires, I thought I'd post up mine from Monday. It's a Metzeler Racetec RR K2, which is very similar to a Pirelli SC2. Air pressure was 29 hot on the warmers. Ambient temperatures were in the 60s, heavy wind, some wet spots on the track.

I think I know what caused this tearing, but I'm always interested in a second opinion. The tearing didn't start until my last 40 minute session of the day. I was getting pretty comfortable, bike was working better than ever and I even got to mix it up with a crossplane R1 for a few laps.

Attachments

#1,885 ·
Hi man there is pressures - the most important target is gain of psi (from cold to hot after track must be 5-7 psi)

Front: 29-32 psi (cold), 30-35 psi (after warmers)
Rear: 23-26 psi (cold), 25-28 psi (after warmers)

So start in the middle (check your air gauge that show u right pressure!!!)

At the end - your problem is geometry tear - front tire shows that you have too much weight on the front tire.

Did you change rear right height ? Or lowering forks ? Did you set the sag ?

Martin R