What's the right tire for YOUR bike? - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Track time :flex:

This is completely personal preference.

I, personally, am a die hard Michelin fan when it comes to street tires. The pilot road is made to warm up quicker being a street tire when you dont carry warmers with you everywhere.

CCS Expert #31

2014 NE Middleweight SuperSport Champion
2014 NE Middleweight SuperBike Champion

Sponsored by:
-J&G Performance 781-871-1404
-DanQ Suspensions
-Vortex
-Race Tech Suspensions
-Glaveco Leathers
-Training Wheels Motorcycle School
-Twizz Designs

What's the right tire for YOUR bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:00 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRce1o View Post
This is completely personal preference.

I, personally, am a die hard Michelin fan when it comes to street tires. The pilot road is made to warm up quicker being a street tire when you dont carry warmers with you everywhere.
Hi MaRce1o,
Thanks for your replay! So far the best tire I tried for this weather is the Dunlop, but i have the feeling that the Michelin pilot road 3 or 4 can match more my expectation in this cold weather! I mean it can worm up more and quickly than the others considering the tread configuration!

Last edited by emap72; 01-15-2015 at 07:09 AM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Mr. Martini

Garage
I normally ran Dunlop UK slicks on the street for a while, then had a cold tire crash so went to Dunlop Q3s doing tons of canyon riding, dragging knee in the canyons and doing aggressive cornering, I started to come away from that and commute more, and went with 2ct Michelin, those were on an 09 R1, well, crashed and broke my back on those in April, then about 2 months ago I bought another R1 2013, and it came with the Michelin pilot Power 3s can't stand them I feel no front tire stability, feel like it's gonna break loose, couldn't find my confidence, anyways, back to what I need help with, I'm in the search for tires, I commute a lot, like 100 miles a day, and I also need something with good sides for when I hit corners aggressive, I know everyone's aggressiveness is different, for me just take it as, I don't know how to be calm when a corner comes up, unless I'm not too comfortable with my tires, thanks

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Hi emap72,

New here so a bit late to the conversation. I've been running pilot road 3's on my KTM990 SMT for 5 years now, about 24k miles and really like them. They work well in the wet (I live in seattle) and the dry and I was getting about 6500 miles on the rear most of the time riding pretty aggressive touring.

I'm getting a 2016 R1 soon and I will probably run Pilot Road 4's most of the year for sport touring. I'll mount something else for track days.

Hope this helps.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 PM
I eat my R1

I've been running PR3's (and at the end of last season PR4) since I replaced my OEM Pirelli's. I've got roughly 25,000 kms (15.5k miles) from the rear (too cold to go put a battery in the bike to verify, lol) from the rear and while it will definitely need replacing soon, it's still got quite a bit of life left.

If you are constantly doing track days or canyon carving at high speed, a sport touring tire may not be for you, but for me the Pilot Road's are nothing outside of amazing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode