Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

190/60 vs 200/55???

32K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Kin3tic 
#1 ·
Hey guys buying tires for next year track days and wondered about the tire sizing? I heard the profile on the 190/60 and the 200/55 is the same. Obviously the 190 is slightly cheaper. But curious if any one has insight on this subject thanks!

-kyle

#2 ·
I've run both in Pirelli supersorsa slicks. The 200's are bad ass. Pirelli stopped making the 190 about a a season ago, so they are the V1 rubber. The late 200's are the V2's and they rock! The 200 is slightly taller with a slighter 'V' profile. First time I ran the 200's, I never thought again about the 190's....

*disclaimer - i am talking ONLY about the supercorsa track tire...I know NOTHING about any other rubber out there..

#7 ·
:yesnod
Its like crazy glue :kekekegay:

#4 ·
Actually, I'm wrong. I re-read the title and now im on mobile....lol

Pirelli v2 is a 200/60. They had a 190/55 V1. The 200 is a slightly more 'V' shape.

A 200/55 would be flatter than a 190/60. I would prolly aim for the 190 in that case to help tip in.

#8 ·
one question here,,,, do u guys think the 200/55/17 will fit on my r1?????is an 05,,,im running 190/55 rigth now I will like to try the 200/55 or 60 if it fits,,, thanks
I used the D211GPA last season and will be using the Pro this season. The difference in sizes vary widely between brands and even models, so your mileage may vary (literally). The Q3 for instance is only about 4mm wider between the 190 and 200 (~193 vs. 197), but the preferred rim size is 6 vs. 6.5. That means your rear will be slightly pinched and likely not have the correct contact patch at all angles. The extra 4mm of tire width may compensate giving you more, or equal contact patch or you may end up with less than the stock 190/55. You have to run the tires to see how you like them unfortunately which isn't cheap.

Tires are like ice cream. You have to try the different brands and flavors to find out which one you like the best, but that doesn't mean it is the best flavor for everyone. :D

#15 ·
How does pirelli supercorsa work on street using ? compared to dunlop Q3 and michelin pilot power 3
I dont see Dunlop Q3 has the size of 200/55, only 200/50, and michelin only has 190 tyre

#16 ·
I have the supercorsa 200/55 Diablo. Its grip, grip... Love it!

#18 ·
I switched to the 200 rr pirelli super cors sp v2 on my r1 from the 190 super corsa sp v2 and noticed the handling was terrible using the 200 rr tire. But it seems after reading this thread you guys are liking the 200s.
I ended up going back to my 190s and the bike handles much better again when transitioning and turning. Anyone have this happen with the 200s,
i guess the rake and trail changed with the taller rear tire, but is there some kind of changes to my sag that i should make to make the bike work with the rear 200 tire.

now that the r1m, ducati, bmw hp 4 are all using the 200s i most be doing something wrong with my setup, i have frt/rr ohlins shocks and have the sag set with ohlins specs.
should i change this with using 200s rear tire. my psi is 32 frt and 30 rear for both 190 and 200.
any help would be appreciated.

#32 ·
Not an expert on this, but after doing a lot of reading I’ve come to the conclusion that changing the real tire size on a bike without changing the suspension accordingly is probably more detrimental than anything. The CSBS mentions the possibility of a number of problems arising, including running out of contact patch on the front tire before you run out of rear contact area. Also depending on aspect ration you can create instability in the rear or reduce maximum lean angle. Again...I’m an idiot so take this with a grain of salt.

#23 ·
I have the 200/60. I jacked up the ride height on my shock. Not sure what the measurement is cause I did it at the track. Up a 1/2 turn at a time. When it went over the 'sweet spot', I turned it back down 1/2 turn. Took a few sessions to get it dialed in. I still haven't gotten fork extenders, so my forks are flush with the triples.

#25 ·
Does anyone know if the stock Yahaha 2012 traction control still works if you put non standard size tires?

If the spec is 190/55 and I put 190/60, does it mean I cannot rely on TC working anymore ?

I need to buy a set of wets, a local dealer has Pirellis rain but rear only comes in 190/60, no 55. Front is ok, 120/70, as stock .

#28 ·
what brand tire?
200/55 and 190/60 is literally 7mm wider and .5mm shorter for Dunlop..So for "profile purposes", it is 3.5mm further to flatten the arch

I'd be willing to bet that only someone that is making a lot of money racing professionally would even have a hope of telling the difference between those 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.