Slicks on the street - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Its Black...

Slicks on the street

Has anyone used a slick on the street? If you have what is the pro, cons, or review of doing this.
What is the next best thing to a slick? who has the softest street legal tire? any and all input from riders would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 PM
I am the vanilla gorilla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG_R1 View Post
Has anyone used a slick on the street? If you have what is the pro, cons, or review of doing this.

What is the next best thing to a slick? who has the softest street legal tire? any and all input from riders would be great.

Use the search function. Yes people have but it isn't the best tire for the street by any means.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
I'd rather be ass-to-ass with Kirk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 PM
Thread killer...

I assume by softest you mean stickiest? Dunlop GPA Pro is going to be the best if the temperature is above say 60F. I would not run a front slick on the street, but I have run them on the back, mainly because I had an FZR600 with an 18x4 inch rear wheel, and at the time there wasn't anything decent other than Metzler or Bridgestone slicks that would fit. The drawbacks is mileage obviously, and if you hit water you are in for some fun. Slicks also don't do well on sand/gravel/dirt. Neither do normal tires, but slicks are worse. Oh an slicks are not DOT certified, so they are illegal to run on the street in the USA. I assume Canada has a similar law on the books.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:58 AM
Lucky 13 X/O

I wouldn't run a slick on the street....it'll never get up to temp which means very little grip....not to mention very little mileage. As Rich said, it won't do well with sand, or water....Is it really worth the cost of replacement parts when you crash? Just get any hypersport tire and you;ll be just fine.

Lucky 13th Squadron C/O

LRRS AM
RSP Racing #920
Sponsors: Pirelli, Tony's trackdays, Motorcycle Tires and Gear, Dyno Solutions, Sportbike Track Gear, Knox, Woodcraft, 434racer.com
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Venom X/O

Definitely a no. I made the mistake of running a Pirelli slick on the street just out of boredom in between track days. Never got to temp, and any excess of throttle would spin the rear. Dangerous as hell if you're ever put in an emergency type of situation. Stick to a hypersport like a q3, r10, supercorsas, or power pure (or whatever Michelin has now).

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squadron
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 AM
LIVE EVERY MOMENT!

Has anyone ran a dunlop d211 on the street?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Thread killer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSide_'10R1 View Post
I have. When up to temp they are awesome! Mileage is not that great though. If you get the Pro's you can flip them if you have more wear on one side. I wear the left side much faster on the track and the street. If you are commuting or city riding (no hooligan style) 211's are a total waste of money, but if you are a canyon or track junkie, I don't think there is a better DOT tire out there right now.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 PM
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSide_'10R1 View Post
I did for the little I used to ride on the street...they did fine

Still suck in the wet though, damp isn't too bad

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO -
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
I did for the little I used to ride on the street...they did fine

Still suck in the wet though, damp isn't too bad
+1

I've run multiple DOTs on the street, and they were great when hot. IMO a regular street tire gets to operating temperature faster on the street. I've watched talented (read "fast") track riders run slicks on the street and complain they couldn't keep them hot enough to really stick.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Its Black...

thanks for the input
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Lucky 13 X/O

I would trust a DOT before a slick though, no? Yes, same compound, but aat least you have sipes for the imperfections of the asphalt/sand/rocks....

Lucky 13th Squadron C/O

LRRS AM
RSP Racing #920
Sponsors: Pirelli, Tony's trackdays, Motorcycle Tires and Gear, Dyno Solutions, Sportbike Track Gear, Knox, Woodcraft, 434racer.com
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:59 PM
R1 it's Legendary...like MOTO

Bad idea, don't do it. Simple.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

BaLLiSTiX go get'um
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
I would trust a DOT before a slick though, no? Yes, same compound, but aat least you have sipes for the imperfections of the asphalt/sand/rocks....
Oh yeah, definitely. But heck, even on a track with warmers I run my first lap (most of the time) focused on hard acceleration and deceleration with moderate corner entrance and exit speeds. So when I run the DOTs on the street I give the the same basic treatment, within reason, and then once I've gotten them hot and sticky I won't stop for more than a few short minutes. Too much hassle, but it does keep them working well. I'd rather just run the street tires and not push.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Banned

Pirelli dragon supercorsa suberbike sc2 slicks front and rear. Lol

I'm going to run them till the dot is completely gone.(on the street)

Not enough meat for a track day but plenty for the street.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:58 AM
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHKNB8K View Post
Pirelli dragon supercorsa suberbike sc2 slicks front and rear. Lol

I'm going to run them till the dot is completely gone.(on the street)

Not enough meat for a track day but plenty for the street.
Why wouldn't you run them on the track until lunch or something?

Phantom Squadron XO -
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Banned

Last thing I want to do is wrench
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:53 PM
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
I see...

Phantom Squadron XO -
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Forum Moderator

I've never ran slicks on the street, but I have run many sets of DOT race take offs on the street. Never had any problems with them as of yet. But, this is pretty spirited riding too.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Thread killer...

Quote:
Time for a second set of rims! Yes it is wrenching, but not much...

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 AM
I eat my R1

Old thread not worth starting a new one thowe but I call pure bs on the no slick on streets thing yea I could see if your a casual rider with a few fast pace runs during your ride then theirs no point I since made the switch from Pirelli sp v2 to the sc2 slicks and I will never go back to a tire designed for street corners where the sp's where stepping out the sc2 is just planted waaaay!!! Faster corner speeds even not up to full temp the slick gives you more grip than a street tire up to temp period.only thing il agree with is does take longer to warm up and you have to keep up a fast pace so unless your willing to break a massive amount of traffic laws and risk losing your license if your the type to pull over!!! Then don't do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode