Considering another Bridgestone for my R1M - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Considering another Bridgestone for my R1M

Morning gents!

So I just hit 2,500 miles on my 2016 R1M and I'm looking at a new set of tires (a rear at the very least)

I'm no tire expert, but I absolutely LOVED the confidence I had in the RS10, but as we all know... they melt VERY quick. I mean I had enough confidence I leaned my bike far enough to grind peg a few times and still didn't slip.

I commute with my M (Only about 15 miles round trip) Monday - Friday. I go up to Palomar mountain (very fun canyon ride) about once a week. I also like to take rides around Southern California every now and then.

I'm not looking for a tire like the Angel GT or anything, but I feel like I can get a tire that will give me the confidence I had in my RS10s with at least another 2-3k miles.

After doing some research I came across the Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21. Now I'm curious... has anyone else ran the S21? How does it hold up compared to the RS10 as far as grip and mileage goes?

If you guys have any input, feel free! I'm also willing to take a look at some other tires that are out there

Located in SoCal (North SD County)
Riding a 2007 R1 (stolen)
Now riding a 2016 R1M - #169
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We have our whole lives to make an income"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 PM
c(','c)

Garage
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 PM
I eat my R1

Motomummy has some good pricing !!

gotredbull

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 AM
my genius knows no bounds

Q3's
68mustang and Sammo115 like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 02:31 AM
An R1 kinda day!

Garage
Mitch PP3 - 2CT

"Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!" ...(Buttafewcoe)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Semi-famous old guy

Garage
Just put Metzeler M7RR on mine and so far I like them quite a bit. Very good grip, turns in a little more progressively than the RS10 but I think I'm going to play with the ride height and see what happens.
I went through 2 RS10 rears and one front in 3300 miles. Hoping these will last longer. Btw, street riding only(no track on Oahu )

I may be getting older, but I'm not getting any slower(or smarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:39 AM
My R1 eats me.

I have new RS10 F/R tires I pulled off my 2015 with no miles on them I'd like to sell if anyone is interested. $250 plus shipping. Could possibly make arrangements for delivery in the WI/IL/IN tristate area.

Sorry I know I should be posting this in the classifieds but this website makes you wait 2 months before allowing you to post there.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:21 PM
I eat my R1

Pirelli super bike slicks
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:42 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerlyb View Post
I have new RS10 F/R tires I pulled off my 2015 with no miles on them I'd like to sell if anyone is interested. $250 plus shipping. Could possibly make arrangements for delivery in the WI/IL/IN tristate area.

Sorry I know I should be posting this in the classifieds but this website makes you wait 2 months before allowing you to post there.
bud we can buy them almost everywhere for $240-245 shipped. shipping for tires is about $12 each.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Brrrrrp Brrrrpp

I just put a pair of S21's on my 09 and they are comparable to the S20's I had on there before as far as grip on the street, confidence inspiring and predictable in all weather. The wear is supposed to be way better than the S20's and they were better than the RS10's.

When I bought the bike it had a set of Metzeler RR's and they were very grippy in the dry but terrible wet performance and wore very quickly, also I didn't like the way they dropped in hard on cornering, it almost felt like I had to hold the bike up a bit..

I have not taken the S21's to the track yet but the S20's gave me full confidence and grip pushing as hard as I could at medium level leaned over fully enough to grind the end of my boot on occasion.

I will be putting some miles on them soon and heading to the track on them at the end of the month so I can report back to you then if you like?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 11:26 PM
SwissGod

Garage
I just got a new rs10 on the rear. I think they're great tires. Tons of grip, more than enough for the road and plenty on track. My rear only lasted me 1500 miles though... but the performance is well worth it in my opinion. I've even been caught in a storm with them and they kept traction well. I want to try out a set of q3's once this set is all worn. From what I've heard q3's will last longer but still give good grip. I've also rode the s20's and s21's on my zx14r and those performed amazingly. I would imagine they would go nicely on the r1 as well. I've had 4 separate sets of bridgestones now and they've all been great. Every set has been a 190 rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5669.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	890185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5667.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	890193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5668 (2).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	890201  

I <3 mothers
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:00 AM
For no ma'am

The Metzeler RR K3 that came on my RSV4 were pretty darn good overall and I was able to get an astonishing amount of miles with them. They feel like harder RS10's basically and at least on the Ape they seem to give a little bit more feedback compared to Bridgestone. I would say they are stable once hot like a Dunlop Q but have decent grip right out of the driveway like a PP. I'll likely be putting them on the R1 once I wear this next set of RS10s out.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 AM
For no ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomn8tor View Post
Just put Metzeler M7RR on mine and so far I like them quite a bit. Very good grip, turns in a little more progressively than the RS10 but I think I'm going to play with the ride height and see what happens.
I went through 2 RS10 rears and one front in 3300 miles. Hoping these will last longer. Btw, street riding only(no track on Oahu )
Would love to hear how the M7RR worked out

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 AM
00 R1

Mich, PP3!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 11:06 AM
For no ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Lag View Post
Mich, PP3!
As much as I absolutely love them for the street, they turn to goo in a couple of laps on track. But thanks.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 PM
My R1 eats me.

I'm running with pirelli diablo supercorsa sp v2 with 200 on the rear on my 2015 R1. I think they're better and last longer than the factory Bridgestones. Does anyone notice a difference in feel with a wider tire in the rear?
Hot Rod likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 05:47 AM
If you ain't first your last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treemugger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Lag View Post
Mich, PP3!
As much as I absolutely love them for the street, they turn to goo in a couple of laps on track. But thanks.
I hated the pp3 every time I put some trust in it and leaned it over it would feel great and then suddenly step out and nearly highside me I played with setting and pressure for awhile and the went running back to my q3's lol I'm running the s21 right now, I like it, seems to wear good with lots of abuse. Traction feels just as good as my q3s until I get them real hot but they are predictable. My favorite quality in a tire
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:46 AM
The law is grey

The new michelin RS looks neat. I LOVE the power cup evo!
fastrob691 likes this.

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:20 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookidoll View Post
I just put a pair of S21's on my 09 and they are comparable to the S20's I had on there before as far as grip on the street, confidence inspiring and predictable in all weather. The wear is supposed to be way better than the S20's and they were better than the RS10's.

When I bought the bike it had a set of Metzeler RR's and they were very grippy in the dry but terrible wet performance and wore very quickly, also I didn't like the way they dropped in hard on cornering, it almost felt like I had to hold the bike up a bit..

I have not taken the S21's to the track yet but the S20's gave me full confidence and grip pushing as hard as I could at medium level leaned over fully enough to grind the end of my boot on occasion.

I will be putting some miles on them soon and heading to the track on them at the end of the month so I can report back to you then if you like?
The Racetec RR? Which one? Thanks for the feedback on the S21.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM
I eat my R1

I'll be going to the new Power RS, but i'll replace my rear with another 'Stone till the front wears some. Also Michelin wont have the 200 rear till April/May, but the 190 is out now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode