Bumpy feedback after tire change - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Bumpy feedback after tire change

So I just had a set of Q3's installed on the bike after my trackday and now I have this like 2-3 bump feedback every 1-2 seconds when at lower speeds. I can feel it in the bars but not 100% sure its coming from the front tire. I took the bike back to the dealership and still has the same issue after they changed the front tire with a new one. Anyone else had this issue after getting new tires?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Sold)2010 Yamaha R1 LE
2015 Yamaha R1 Raven

List of Mods:

Too Many to List
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 PM
c(','c)

Garage
Did they balance them?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

2015R1M@Instagram
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Mad Thou Rider

as above. also worth checking the wheel bearings as one could be starting to fail

" border="0" />
thanks petrol!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:59 PM
para bellum

Send a message via AIM to Kangaroo Send a message via Yahoo to Kangaroo
Chain tension might be too tight and fawked up your bearings.

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchbluE View Post
Did they balance them?

Yes Twice

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
as above. also worth checking the wheel bearings as one could be starting to fail
I'm no expert but what exactly would I look for because the bike only has 2300miles on it and the chain has never been to tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
Chain tension might be too tight and fawked up your bearings.
Shouldn't be anything with chain tension as the chain has been within spec the whole time. I check that frequently. Guess I'll have them check the bearings anyways though

(Sold)2010 Yamaha R1 LE
2015 Yamaha R1 Raven

List of Mods:

Too Many to List
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:10 PM
my genius knows no bounds

the thing that changed is you went from bridgestones, soft carcass tire, to dunlops.. hard carcass tire.

also, the sidewall of the Q3s have carbon fiber, a hot selling point but they probly also affect the comfort factor. i experienced same thing on brand new set of q3s on my raven before it was stolen.

also, this stiffer slightly less comfy tire is gonna show you even more how on/off the front forks are, cuz of that damn shim in the bottom which doesnt let oil flow well. its the first thing dave talked about when he and i were discussing the stock front end. its like item #1 on his to do list for this bike apparently, and it greatly improves things.

also, the dealer probly set them to those bullshit pressures on the sticker, which is often a state mandated thing. try setting them to 33F/33R cold for the street and see if that buys you a little more "squish" haha.

soon im posting an update to my settings thread, ive been fiddling lately and found a more comfy setup.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbuster View Post
the thing that changed is you went from bridgestones, soft carcass tire, to dunlops.. hard carcass tire.

also, the sidewall of the Q3s have carbon fiber, a hot selling point but they probly also affect the comfort factor. i experienced same thing on brand new set of q3s on my raven before it was stolen.

also, this stiffer slightly less comfy tire is gonna show you even more how on/off the front forks are, cuz of that damn shim in the bottom which doesnt let oil flow well. its the first thing dave talked about when he and i were discussing the stock front end. its like item #1 on his to do list for this bike apparently, and it greatly improves things.

also, the dealer probly set them to those bullshit pressures on the sticker, which is often a state mandated thing. try setting them to 33F/33R cold for the street and see if that buys you a little more "squish" haha.

soon im posting an update to my settings thread, ive been fiddling lately and found a more comfy setup.
I've had Q3's before on my 2010 and never had this issue. So today I decided to look at everything myself and I noticed they didn't take off the old weights and just added new weights. I had gorilla tape over the old weights from the track day and guess they weren't paying close enough attention to see them. So its going back in the morning for them to correct that and see if it solves the issue. If not I may be switching to a different tire for peace of mind

(Sold)2010 Yamaha R1 LE
2015 Yamaha R1 Raven

List of Mods:

Too Many to List
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 PM

Holy hell. That's pretty fail, I'd be yelling at the guys that did such shitty work. Sounds like an inertia problem, probly woulda happened no matter what tire you're using at the moment.

Keep us updated, curious to see if it gets sorted by just dealing with the wheel weights without changing anything else. If it's the same, then maybe suspension settings try next? I got an idea =D
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbuster View Post
Holy hell. That's pretty fail, I'd be yelling at the guys that did such shitty work. Sounds like an inertia problem, probly woulda happened no matter what tire you're using at the moment.

Keep us updated, curious to see if it gets sorted by just dealing with the wheel weights without changing anything else. If it's the same, then maybe suspension settings try next? I got an idea =D
Hopefully we will know in the morning if its fixed. The place that did it is called RideNow and they are a authorized Yamaha dealer and have a pro account. So this ain't the out the way shop that did it. They said that if they cant fix it in the morning they will have to call Dunlop and Yamaha to find out if they have heard of this issue before. I'm just over here like"This wasn't happening before the tires soooooooooooo".I'll reply back here tomorrow and let you know what the outcome is.

(Sold)2010 Yamaha R1 LE
2015 Yamaha R1 Raven

List of Mods:

Too Many to List
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
So I took the bike back and of course it took them all day to call me back because they had some work ahead of me but the guy said the vibration was gone after the rebalance. I picked the bike up but haven't had a chance to actually check. If its still there then I will be switching to a different tire. I'll take the bike out later to check and post back here

(Sold)2010 Yamaha R1 LE
2015 Yamaha R1 Raven

List of Mods:

Too Many to List
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:04 PM

.....well?!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 05:39 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was waiting for the outcome also. I'd guess that the tire balance was the problem being I've ridden bikes with improperly balanced tires and it felt like what the OP described.

Lucky 13 Squadron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode