Q3 vs s21 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
If you ain't first your last

Q3 vs s21

I've been running the q3 's since i can remember probably 10+ sets and never really had any issues so I decided to try something new for a change and ordered a s21 rear tire for the hell of it. I've put around 300 miles on it so far and from what I've read about it I expected it to be different. First off the tire to the touch feels very soft compared to the q3, wich everybody says it lasts longer would seem it should be harder in the center at least. Secondly I love the looks but it seems to have a flatter profile (190/55 same as my q3's) but feels like it falls into a turn like a taller tire. That being said I've already hit the seams on both sides of the tire without really trying to hard 😬 i don't think the same lean angle is achievable with the s21 as the Q. Keep in mind I still have a q3 front tire on which is pretty much new too. As far as traction goes it feels very good out of turns or in bumpy turns and have not got it to slide yet under throttle on exits, and it is very stable even with the front tire off the ground exiting a corner. I feel the q3's feel a bit wobbly if you are leaned over and pull the front off the ground, every little bump causes a wobble, these seem to absorb any bumps and remain stable. This tells me at full lean it should be more stable over small bumps as well. I give it a 9 out of 10 so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Banned

you're kind of fu ck ing up. the s21 rear is designed to work with the s21 front. the rear has less crown to allow harder acceleration out of corners

the rear profile is made to work with the front to give them a certain feel going into a corner and while leaned.
I'm having trouble finding it at the moment but there was a good review on youtube where they interviewed a guy from bridgestone and he talked about the tire design. here's a few others

that's right, elbows down on a street tire lol

Last edited by yamaharandy; 09-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
If you ain't first your last

Yes I know the idea and design behind literally every tire not only the s21 but I'm not going to dismount a perfectly good tire just to have a matching set lol as long as they are round and roll it will be just fine 👍 once my front wears down i will put a matching set on though

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 PM
The law is grey

I thought the q3 is closer to rs10? If not what is dunlops equivalent to the rs10?

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 PM
my genius knows no bounds

They're definitely not.. Even as good as the Q3's are, just not the same category. Q3's are hypersport tire and the RS10 is a street legal race tire
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:06 PM
The law is grey

Do you know what is the Dunlop equivalent? I use rs10's. But i don't commute on them.

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 PM
my genius knows no bounds

The GPAs I guess, but not available in stock sizes and it's a tossup as to whether they would outlast the RS10s or not =/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:49 AM
The Doctor's Assistant

In all honesty, OP you don't have to dismount a perfectly good front tire, get another Q3 rear, use it up with the front, and then dismount both. Then get a proper S21 set so you can fairly and objectively evaluate it. It's a complete joke to assess a tire's performance when you don't have its other half to make a proper evaluation. It's like dropping a Nissan GTR engine in a Honda S2000 and comparing it to a stock Mazda RX7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode