Vibration after tire change - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Vibration after tire change

So I took my bike (05 raven) in to get new Michelin Pilot Power 3's and my next time on the bike I'm feeling some vibration/wobble starting at 112 mph+. There was no wobble whatsoever before the tires were changed and was smooth all the way up. Tire pressures are fine (38 front/36 rear). I also noticed that the rear axle is getting hot after a ride, and can confirm the rear brake isn't dragging (contributing to the heat).

The vibration isn't major but is definitely there and kept up even when going higher speeds. My first thought is wheel bearing failure because of the heat, but I have never had this problem until my tires were changed.

Any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:06 PM
CCS #16

Was the rear rim balanced after the new tire was put on?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:21 PM
I eat my R1

It's easy to take the rear wheel off, I'd take it off, clean the axle and bearing areas, and re-grease. I have a 2012 R1 and the shop which installed my rear tyre last time, didn't grease my rear axle properly. So when I took my rear wheel off to get tyres installed a few weeks ago, my rear axle is scored, heat damaged, rusted, and my bearings are not the happiest. I've been riding on this bad install for 14,000 k's, and it shows. It's really pissed me off, as I'm going to have to get new bearings and an axle.

So please double check your axle installation. It should not be getting so hot. Also check that all the spacers are correctly installed, as sometimes the spacers fall out and then the installer puts the wrong ones on each side and don't give a **** if it doesn't fit so well.

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 PM
I eat my R1

Also, the vibration is 99% likely to be a wheel balance issue. My guess is they haven't properly balanced it.

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 AM
the track is where its at.

They also might have forgotten to put one of the spacers back into the rime which can cause issues.

The speed that your beginning to notice indicates it is more likely due to the wheel balance being slightly out though.

If you are concerned, don't ride around and ignore it, get the issue sorted, as you don't want things going wrong at those speeds.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Alright so I called the shop back today and they said that no, they don't have a machine to balance the tires. He then also said, "you may want to make sure the rear axle is tight cause I can't remember if it was tightened or not"!!

Also like some of you said, it looks like a spacer is missing! I took the bike to a different shop today that some coworkers recommended so we'll see what they have to say.

I'll let y'all know the outcome but now its looking like its going to be due to the tires not being balanced and improper reassembly of the rear axle.

I would normally have taken the back tire off myself and looked at it but I'm living at an apartment complex now and don't have access to my stands and what not.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

The guy at the first shop also told me that they don't see many of this kind of bike so they really didn't know much about working on it. This was a licensed Kawasaki Dealership! Mistake #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode