Pirelli Supercorsa SC2 - ex race tyres Q - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Obijack
  • 2 Post By SBK Unlimited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Pirelli Supercorsa SC2 - ex race tyres Q

So I commute on my R1 and its a nail MAGNET. I've had to replace 2 sets of Supercorsa SP tyres in 4000 KM on my 2016 R1. I loved them pre-holes. Its just become too expensive for me to keep replacing tyres (I dont trust plugs...I know they work, but Im skittish). A friend introduced me to ex race tyres. Pirelli SC2's with just warm up laps done on them for literally just over a third of the price for replacement tyres. So far no nails...

I run at 2.0 rear and 2.1. Other than following my racer guy's recommendations about the tyres taking a while to warm up I have had ZERO issues when commuting - not that I expected that I would, I dont need their performance when commuting. I have enjoyed spirited rides on weekends and im by no means an expert or really that great a rider. I got them with a slight cold tear and I think ive ridden that off by now. I do about 17 miles to the mountain before I start taking turns and I usually push the bikes through 2nd to 4th on the highway just before to really heat them up.

This weekend I was told by a track instructor that ex race tyres are dangerous because on weekend rides I dont get enough heat in them.

So my question is...am I looking for trouble here? My friends have been using ex race tyres for years without issue on track. This is my first set and Ive not had any issues with them. I personally dont think I am nearly good enough to push the tyre to its limits. But I have doubts and doubts hurt my confidence and then I ride like crap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyre1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	903474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:40 PM
c(','c)

Garage
They need heat. Riding on roads may never heat them up to their proper temps. If you ride at a slow pace or mostly highway for work, I guess these can get you by.

Be very careful though. I know people who have crashed riding slicks on the road.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Ambassador & Rider for Superbikeunlimited.com
Use Promo Code: 2015R1M2017 for online orders!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

They arent slicks though - they are SuperCorsa SC2's - fully road legal

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:15 AM
The law is grey

They are a DOT race tire like the RS10's. You won't have any issues with them. I use RS10's because they stick great and i get decent mileage out of them, and they are cheap ($245 for a set from 190/55). As far as race take off's it depends on what was done. Some teams will only run a 7-8 laps and make suspension changes and change tires to see what the changes made. So you can get a tire with 7-8 lap tires. Some people change tires after a race or two. It is hard to determine what the tire has been through is the only issue I foresee.
Justplainzero likes this.

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 06:24 AM
SBU - For all things fast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
They are a DOT race tire like the RS10's. You won't have any issues with them. I use RS10's because they stick great and i get decent mileage out of them, and they are cheap ($245 for a set from 190/55). As far as race take off's it depends on what was done. Some teams will only run a 7-8 laps and make suspension changes and change tires to see what the changes made. So you can get a tire with 7-8 lap tires. Some people change tires after a race or two. It is hard to determine what the tire has been through is the only issue I foresee.
The SC2 DOT race tire is very different from an RS10.

The Pirelli equivalent to the RS10 would be the Supercorsa SP series tire, a street tire that also can work on the track.

Bridgestone does or did make an R10 DOT race tire, that would be a similarly oriented tire.

The SC2 is a full blown race tire with a DOT tread pattern, SC2 is Pirelli's 'hard' compound. If you're going to use it on the road, you might consider lower pressures to get heat up, but it will make the bike feel more squirmy. It will also increase contact patch.

Just spitballing, I'd say somewhere around 22 cold rear and 30 front would be a decent starting point. Take your time working up to pace and then pull over and check them with your hand to see if they are building heat and/or feel sticky.
Obijack and Justplainzero like this.

along with

Lowest prices guaranteed!

2015 WERA National Superbike/CCS SE Unl GP/Unl Superbike Champions

Follow us!:
Facebook.com/SuperbikeUnlimited
Instagram.com/SuperbikeUnlimited
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 06:52 AM
The law is grey

Why does pirelli have so much confusing nomenclature lol?

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 06:55 AM
SBU - For all things fast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
Why does pirelli have so much confusing nomenclature lol?
Easier than a bunch of numbers like some manufacturers use! Just takes some getting used to. We just switched back to Pirelli as a team and it's honestly pretty simple after you get the hang of their terminology.

along with

Lowest prices guaranteed!

2015 WERA National Superbike/CCS SE Unl GP/Unl Superbike Champions

Follow us!:
Facebook.com/SuperbikeUnlimited
Instagram.com/SuperbikeUnlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode