Tire questions - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Tire questions

I currently use pilot power 2ct but commute alot. I thought of the continental motion tires. Anyone have any feed back. I do some twisties on the weekends but nothing too crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:20 AM
I eat my R1

I'm a fan of Q3's myself. I'm on my third rear and second front and will be buying them again when they wear out. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Q3's should last longer than the pilot powers. They are also very popular at the local track. I have never had a continental tire on any motorcycle I have ever owned, so can't speak as to how those tires would be. Just my 2 cents.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Is there anybody out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider1977 View Post
I'm a fan of Q3's myself. I'm on my third rear and second front and will be buying them again when they wear out. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Q3's should last longer than the pilot powers. They are also very popular at the local track. I have never had a continental tire on any motorcycle I have ever owned, so can't speak as to how those tires would be. Just my 2 cents.
Just curious how many miles you getting out of your Q3's?

Thanks,

Mark

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM
I eat my R1

I'm running the Conti attack 3 on my 400, very good wear and wet weather performance. I'm not sure how they relate to the motion but if you want a good high mileage tire the Michelin Pilot Road 4 is all you can use on the street at a sane pace. I've nicked the pegs on my MTS 1200 2 up and I get 8700 rear and around 11-12k front. I cant use more tire safely on the street.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:23 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksawyer View Post
Just curious how many miles you getting out of your Q3's?

Thanks,

Mark
My first Q3 rear I was able to get just over 9k miles on it. This was mostly because this was my first liter bike and I rode like a grandma and never went to the track. Just commuting to and from work. I went through 2 more Q3's with less than 2k miles each cause I picked up a nail in one and ran over a razor blade in the other. My current Q3 rear has 5k miles on it and I still have a good amount of meat left. I am starting to ride a bit more aggressive so I'm guessing I will be closer to 7k miles when I change again. My fronts last for at least 10k miles riding like a baby. Once I start riding it at the track, all bets are off. Hope this helps.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Unacceptable

You might want to take a good look at the latest batch of ST tires. Yes, I said sport-touring. A wee bit heavier, and maybe a little pricier, sure, but with mileage figures easily lasting at least twice as long as a 100% sporting tire. And before the purists start to whine, they can handle damn near anything you can throw at them on the back roads. I've even seen fast 'B' pace riders take them to the edges on trackdays. The only caveat is that they tend to get a bit greasy when pushed hard in hot conditions.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Is there anybody out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider1977 View Post
My first Q3 rear I was able to get just over 9k miles on it. This was mostly because this was my first liter bike and I rode like a grandma and never went to the track. Just commuting to and from work. I went through 2 more Q3's with less than 2k miles each cause I picked up a nail in one and ran over a razor blade in the other. My current Q3 rear has 5k miles on it and I still have a good amount of meat left. I am starting to ride a bit more aggressive so I'm guessing I will be closer to 7k miles when I change again. My fronts last for at least 10k miles riding like a baby. Once I start riding it at the track, all bets are off. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! Been riding regular Pilot Powers for the last 12 years or so and get 8kish out of a set. Will probably try the Q3's next.

Mark
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Thread killer...

I got about 1500 out of my Q3. It still has plenty of tread, but it is flat spotted in the middle. Where I am at we have a lot of great roads to have fun on, but it is usually a 30-40 mile ride to get to the ride, so we do a lot of what is basically commuting, before we get to the fun twisty stuff. I just slapped on a Roadsmart3 on the back with a new Q3 up front. Hopefully I will get a few more miles with this combo. I would be happy with 3k, overjoyed with 5k, anything after that would be gravy. Also looking for a second rear rim so I can run either a slick or a DOT for when I go to the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by YZF-Rich; 02-16-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Thread killer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksawyer View Post
Thanks for the info! Been riding regular Pilot Powers for the last 12 years or so and get 8kish out of a set. Will probably try the Q3's next.

Mark
If you like the Michelins, you might not like the Dunlops. I have read and talked to a lot of people that like Q3's and a lot that like PP's, but haven't run into too many people that like them both...

I can't stand Michelins...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the sport attack 3, so many good things said about them and after seeing what you said I'm glad i ordered them
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Thread killer...

The trend in the group I ride with is heading towards running a sport tire up front and a sport touring tire in the back. On a liter bike it seems you get one front per two rear, so in theory running this combo will make them wear about the same. Down side is you need to buy two tires at once, but hopefully one less rear tire over the same amount of time. We have some pretty spirited rides, but it's street riding so you are not pushing the tire like at the track. I was running the 180/55 Q3 and wore out the center. This time I have the 190/55 Roadsmart3. I will probably go back to the 180/55 size RS3 when this one wears out. The smaller size is about $15 cheaper and I am not using the additional 10mm anyway...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

I've gotten great mileage and performance from the pilot power 2ct , about 6k on the rears. I wad just looking for better wet weather traction and performance that's why I went with the sport attack 3, Q3 don't get the mileage I want
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:21 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejill91 View Post
I've gotten great mileage and performance from the pilot power 2ct , about 6k on the rears. I wad just looking for better wet weather traction and performance that's why I went with the sport attack 3, Q3 don't get the mileage I want
I've liked my 2ct front and pilot road 3 rear from day one.. I converted from 2ct front and rear so I know where your coming from. Next round I'll go to a pilot road 4 rear. Great mileage, grip, and wet weather no problem!

Last edited by Zac Agee; 02-19-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Thread killer...

Wet weather is not an issue for me. I am only riding for fun on the weekends and if it is more than a little wet I don't go, but the Roadsmart is supposedly excellent in the rain.

My R1 came with 2ct's and I hated them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode