Michelin Power RS Tires - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Chillin'

Garage
Michelin Power RS Tires

Here's a great review I found. Michelin might up their tire game with the MotoGP contract.

Can't wait to get back to the mainland and back on the track. In the meantime, I'll continue to build my bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by One2; 03-31-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:32 AM
(inset witty statement here)

Anybody try these out yet? I'm getting close to needing new tires on both my R1's and I'm thinking about trying these on the 16.
fastrob691 likes this.

'16 R1 Anny, '09 R1 Raven, '15 HD Road Glide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Chillin'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelJouster View Post
Anybody try these out yet? I'm getting close to needing new tires on both my R1's and I'm thinking about trying these on the 16.
Go for it. Michelin tends to have good tire wear.

The tires are new so you'd probably be the first on the forum.
WheelJouster likes this.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
Go for it. Michelin tends to have good tire wear.

The tires are new so you'd probably be the first on the forum.
Yeah, I probably will. Probably won't be the first though because riding weather hasn't even began here yet. I don't think I'll be needing them till June, but we'll see. Fingers crossed.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I probably will. Probably won't be the first though because riding weather hasn't even began here yet. I don't think I'll be needing them till June, but we'll see. Fingers crossed.
You lied to yourself. Of course they wouldn't last till June.

I managed to grab a healthy puncture in the rear on Saturday, so I went ahead and ordered these today. Will update will my impressions after I receive them and get them mounted up.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 PM

Michelin Power RS Tires

Mounted up. Went with the 290/55 rear.

But there was rain today and for the next few days too.

I feel like I'm talking to myself. Anyone interested in this thread?

Yup. Sent frum my cell.
fastrob691, cyclepsycho7 and One2 like this.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 PM
I eat my R1

I'm interested. Are you planning to go to the track with them? Also 290 is rather large, lol ha ha
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Chillin'

Garage
Quote:

Yup. Sent frum my cell.
I am.
WheelJouster likes this.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGP1199 View Post
I'm interested. Are you planning to go to the track with them? Also 290 is rather large, lol ha ha

Haha yup, she's a drag slick. As I'm sure you know, 200 actually. Looks huge compared to the 190/50 on my 09 R1. (190/55 wasn't in stock at the dealer at the time.)

No, I won't be testing at the track. If I like them, I'll put them on the 09 also and then that's more of a possibility.

Yup. Sent frum my cell.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:41 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Quote:

Yup. Sent frum my cell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGP1199 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
I am.
Me too!

Quote:
Haha yup, she's a drag slick. As I'm sure you know, 200 actually. Looks huge compared to the 190/50 on my 09 R1. (190/55 wasn't in stock at the dealer at the time.)

No, I won't be testing at the track. If I like them, I'll put them on the 09 also and then that's more of a possibility.

Yup. Sent frum my cell.
I figured it had to be a typo. I'm very interested in hearing your results, very different tread pattern.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:03 PM

I was able to find a gap in rain showers yesterday, so I took the bike to a mostly deserted parking lot for some "laps" for about 15 minutes. It was only 48 degrees out, so I wasn't able to get a lot of heat into them.

I definitely have more rear tire than before. I've had no problem, in recent years anyway, whittling down my chicken strips to virtually nothing on Dunlop Q2s and Q3s, but didn't manage to do that yet on this tire...still an inch or so left to go. Along with the cooler temperature, I probably just didn't have the confidence on them yet, but also I think that there's a lot more tire at lean when compared to the Q3. Well, another contributing factor is possibly not being quite as comfortable on the 16 R1 as compared to the 09 R1. Without them mounted up on the 09, I guess that I can't be sure about anything yet. I need more miles and warmer weather!

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:

Yup. Sent frum my cell.
Following with interest. i am down to one set of spares so I am looking for another pair to have on deck. Plus i'm interested as to handling with the 200 over a 190
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Michelin Power RS Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooedup0605 View Post
Following with interest. i am down to one set of spares so I am looking for another pair to have on deck. Plus i'm interested as to handling with the 200 over a 190

Handling wise, I didn't notice much, if any, difference over a 190.

Stopped by the parking lot again today on my 09 with the Dunlop Q3s. Similar overcast day. Let's just say that 1/2 of my larger than normal to me chicken strips are cause there's more tire on the Michelin's and I'm attributing the other half to it being the beginning of the riding season and me being a bit more chicken.

Yup. Sent frum my cell.
Tattooedup0605 likes this.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
My first track tires where Mich Power Cup DOTs. The rear construction was incredibly soft...on an R6 this didn't seem to matter and all the fast guys used them but I've never seen anyone use them on the big bikes.

Curious to see how this tire does.

YouTube Channel

Follow me on Instagram: @red_man_racing

Grateful for the assistance and support of my family and friends. But sometimes the line is blurred: meet Banky
My friend and sponsor.

Track Ambassador

Sponsored Rider

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APO2112 View Post
My first track tires where Mich Power Cup DOTs. The rear construction was incredibly soft...on an R6 this didn't seem to matter and all the fast guys used them but I've never seen anyone use them on the big bikes.

Curious to see how this tire does.

I forget what my one and only other pair of Michelins were called (maybe just 2CT?). They turned in like none other, but only lasted me 2000 miles. Been going strictly Dunlop since then.

I sure do hope to get at least 4000 miles out of these new guys. We'll see.

Yup. Sent frum my cell.

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I put a set on my 14 R1 yesterday. Drive home from the tyre shop and the reviews i read that they dont turn in as quick as PP3s were true but supposed to be alot more stable. I found the PP3s would get twitchy and slide a bit under hard braking and lose traction out of corners if you were too aggressive on the throttle at the track. On the street they were perfect except they would get slippery at the end of their life unlike metzeler m7rr which was opposite got very grippy at the end of its life.

One2, NZ_R1 and Yautja like this.

2005 CBR600RR
2014 R1
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliploop View Post
I put a set on my 14 R1 yesterday. Drive home from the tyre shop and the reviews i read that they dont turn in as quick as PP3s were true but supposed to be alot more stable. I found the PP3s would get twitchy and slide a bit under hard braking and lose traction out of corners if you were too aggressive on the throttle at the track. On the street they were perfect except they would get slippery at the end of their life unlike metzeler m7rr which was opposite got very grippy at the end of its life.

I agree about the M7RR. I usually replace tyres at about 2 mm because they start to lose grip, but I ran the M7RR rear down to about 0.2 mm!

Will be interesting to read your thoughts after you've had the Power RS for a while.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 AM

I have about 600 miles on my 16 R1 with these tires now. What I've noticed the past few weeks is more stability/confidence while at a lean when compared to the Dunlop Q3's on my 09 R1, which is making things a lot more fun on the street. I'm really liking the tires so far. I'm liking them enough that I've mounted up the same size Power RS's for my 09 R1 and should have them reinstalled today.
fastrob691 and One2 like this.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Chillin'

Garage
Quote:
I have about 600 miles on my 16 R1 with these tires now. What I've noticed the past few weeks is more stability/confidence while at a lean when compared to the Dunlop Q3's on my 09 R1, which is making things a lot more fun on the street. I'm really liking the tires so far. I'm liking them enough that I've mounted up the same size Power RS's for my 09 R1 and should have them reinstalled today.
So as of now, they are better than Q3 in your opinion?

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:17 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:

What pressures are you running on these? I just mounted mine Saturday. It's been raining so no ride yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode