Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Stock RS10s

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Treemugger 
#1 ·
I've read quit a bit about these. The majority opinion seems to be great grip but horrible tire life.

I'm at 1500mi on mine and the rear is gone. The front looks to be at 50% tread or so. I'm curious if any of you tried to squeeze more mileage out of the front, and just swapped rears? Or should I bite the bullet and throw on a new set?

#2 ·
It really depends on your riding style. If your not too aggressive take them down to the cords and have fun doing it. Pretty much any of today's HyperSpots won't last long if you push them.

#3 ·
One front tire will last me through two rear tires with the rs10's. The rear suspension really needs to be set up for your weight and riding style to get the most out of the rs10's on the new R1. Same tires came on my zx10 and get 1.5x more mileage out of the rear on the zx10 vs R1. The rs10's is very sensitive to tire pressure. I find the rs10 to be an extremely affordable track tire that is dot legal. I did many track days on them before switching to slicks. I have used them with tire warmers and without on the track. They heat up rather quickly without warmers. If you want something that will last longer I'd try the s21 evo. If you don't ride very aggressively on the street or don't use your bike for track/street (Or like me, change tires when you get to the track), switch to somthing harder and longer lasting.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess i'm going to try to squeeze another rear out of my front tire life. When I took delivery of the bike, the tire pressures were stupid high. Like 40 psi. I've been running 32F 30R mainly because I've always been a Michelin guy and my pilot powers always worked well and delivered decent mileage at those pressures. I looks like I need to play around with my pressures a bit and find out what will give me the balance I'm looking for.

#5 ·
Reactions: fastrob691
#9 ·
:dark: OH HELL NO. Unless your plan is to show cords by the afternoon sessions. Stop posting this shite.

BS says 32-34 psi. These tires like psi. Anything less and you'll eat them up much quicker than you have to and not gain anything from it.
This.
Grip doesn't really suffer much like it would on other tires. As a matter of fact I've gone as high as 38 cold on track for the rear to keep it from self destructing.

#6 ·
Ok. I guess I'm just used to tires that have a stiffer carcass and need lower pressures to grip. I'll play around and see if I can detect any loss of grip with a higher pressure. I certainly don't mind sacrificing tire life for grip, but I might need to start adjusting for mountain runs vs tooling around.

#8 · (Edited)
You may want to try these.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pirelli-diablo-rosso-iii-rear-tires

I've been using them for a while and they last pretty well because of the different compound in the middle vs the soft compound on the side.:wink2:

I go 2 back to 1 front all the time. I have to do a bunch of crappy miles to get to the good stuff so take it for what its worth.

Edit: BTW, I probably don't push my bike in the turns as much as you do but I did years ago and these feel pretty sticky in a fairly sharp angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.