Graves R1 Garage - Page 3 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Graves Motorsports AMA Championship Winning Motorcycle Exhausts and Accessories: Graves Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 301 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 AM
My R1 eats me.

I have a set of your valve springs for a 2001 R1 is there a way to test these to see if there are all equal pressures/spring consistency ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 301 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1BansheePHX View Post
I have a set of your valve springs for a 2001 R1 is there a way to test these to see if there are all equal pressures/spring consistency ?
Absolutely.
Using your valve, retainer, keepers, spring base and a caliper you can find installed height of the spring. Using a spring tester you can find seat pressures, pressures at the nose of the cam, coil bind etc.

There are many shops that will be able to do this for you. Thanks, taige

Last edited by Graves 09; 07-24-2009 at 11:16 AM.
post #43 of 301 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 03:35 AM
My R-1 Shreddds!!

Graves Adjustable rearsets

Hey guys I was lucky enough to get a killer deal on a set of your beautiful adjustable rearsets from a friend of mine who was parting out his bike. HIS R-1 is a 2008 model, MY R-1 is a 2004. I noticed just by looking at the sets that the brake side is different than mine. The existing bracket for holding the brake master is on the rearsets is vertical where my 2004 model brake is horizontal, the master mount holes also appear to be too close together on the rearsets to mount my 04 master. Is there a 2004 bracket and brake pedal for the adjustable rearsets that will accomidate or do I need to adapt a 2008 master?
Also have a set of Forged Marchesini..he he he....to mount up but after stringing the bike and measuring up everything it definitely seems I will need 1/8th inch spacers for each side of the wheels front and back. Any ideas on either of my quality problem dilemmas will be greatly appreciated. I will be seriously updating my goodie list for the ole R-1 soon, oh yeah did I mention the Ohlins steering damper and Graves barends too? Thanx in advance, Chad

2004 Red R-1:Galfer Braided lines, Graves Rear Sets, CF Front Fender,Heel Guards,Heat Shield,Gas Cap, PC III USB, Graves Ti Slip-Ons,Graves Velocity Stacks, BMC Air Filter, Rear Fender and Turn Signal Eliminators, Stompgrip, Marchesini forged magnesium wheels, wave rotors, Gilles tooling bar risers and chain adjusters, GP suspension rework w/Ohlins internals in rear shock, Ohlins steering Damper, XS-Boost fan control (excellent product and one of the best additions), saddlemen gel seat

post #44 of 301 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

The marchis will not be too difficult to space up and install. If it is too complicated you are welcome to send the wheels my way..... ;-)

Email me over at Graves so I can go into detail on these rear sets. Plus I need to invesigate how you can make this happen. Thanks, taige

taige@gravesport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadzook View Post
Hey guys I was lucky enough to get a killer deal on a set of your beautiful adjustable rearsets from a friend of mine who was parting out his bike. HIS R-1 is a 2008 model, MY R-1 is a 2004. I noticed just by looking at the sets that the brake side is different than mine. The existing bracket for holding the brake master is on the rearsets is vertical where my 2004 model brake is horizontal, the master mount holes also appear to be too close together on the rearsets to mount my 04 master. Is there a 2004 bracket and brake pedal for the adjustable rearsets that will accomidate or do I need to adapt a 2008 master?
Also have a set of Forged Marchesini..he he he....to mount up but after stringing the bike and measuring up everything it definitely seems I will need 1/8th inch spacers for each side of the wheels front and back. Any ideas on either of my quality problem dilemmas will be greatly appreciated. I will be seriously updating my goodie list for the ole R-1 soon, oh yeah did I mention the Ohlins steering damper and Graves barends too? Thanx in advance, Chad
post #45 of 301 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Taige,

PM sent. I need a lot of stuff from you!

Peter
post #46 of 301 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimoprime View Post
Taige,

PM sent. I need a lot of stuff from you!

Peter
Lucky you. It just so happens I have a lot of stuff. Send me an email over here at Graves and Ill make it happen. Thanks, Taige

taige@gravesport.com
post #47 of 301 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
oh hellzzzzz yes

Just had my O7 to the shop for a power upgrade. I was planning on going with the pcIII or bazzaz tunning. My tuner has brought some issues to my attention with the 07 not using 100% throttle thru out the rpm range. he has called dyno jet and they have told him to contact Graves. What can be done to over come this issue?
post #48 of 301 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 AM
My R1 eats me.

Hi, Great thread!.

I have an 06 R1 used purely in competition. I'll focus on motor changes here as that is where my questions centre. Firstly it has a full graves exhaust system, YEC Kit cams and springs, YEC T=0.30 head gasket, YEC ECU and harness. I'm in a rush to give her a refresh and trying to line everything up to get it done between rounds but parts are a problem for me and I'm thinking about compromising, which worries me greatly.

Could I use standard valve springs with these cams? I can't find YEC springs anywhere.

All i can seem to find is a t=0.35 YEC head gasket. If i use that, will i lose a lot in terms of compression?

I've ordered the same colour bearings but will changing my head gasket mean i should consider changing bearing sizes?

I've lost my software cd that came with ecu and the data link cable. Got any ideas about how I could 1. find a place to buy or find either 2. or another way to connect to change mapping after rebuild and do some dynoing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
post #49 of 301 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
Hi, Great thread!.

I have an 06 R1 used purely in competition. I'll focus on motor changes here as that is where my questions centre. Firstly it has a full graves exhaust system, YEC Kit cams and springs, YEC T=0.30 head gasket, YEC ECU and harness. I'm in a rush to give her a refresh and trying to line everything up to get it done between rounds but parts are a problem for me and I'm thinking about compromising, which worries me greatly.

Could I use standard valve springs with these cams? I can't find YEC springs anywhere.

All i can seem to find is a t=0.35 YEC head gasket. If i use that, will i lose a lot in terms of compression?

I've ordered the same colour bearings but will changing my head gasket mean i should consider changing bearing sizes?

I've lost my software cd that came with ecu and the data link cable. Got any ideas about how I could 1. find a place to buy or find either 2. or another way to connect to change mapping after rebuild and do some dynoing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Mojoman,
I can help you with these items and give you the technical information needed to complete your goals.

To do this you will need to register on the Graves Works site. After your account is set up you will be able to ask your questions and view the YEC parts for your R6 or R1 if you have both.

To get to this site you will need to follow these instructions.
Type works.gravesport.com in your browser without adding the www.
This will get you to the site, follow the instructions to set up an account.
Then copy and paste your request.

This site is supported by our racing technicians so please understand that it make take longer than a normal respond time to fulfill your requests.

Chuck

www.gravesport.com
post #50 of 301 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
i loose stress in the twisties

I got a 03 R1 and gona do some power mods this winter using some of your parts.
1 -My friend is a trained mc tech and said to look for adj cam sprocket - is this what i see listed on your site for my year r1?
2 - slide stops - what exactly is there function? i am a mechanic myself but not sure what these do. Is it a good power upgrade with k&n yosh slip on? do u supply the map needed for the PC3?
3 - V stacks on the list too - port/polish rounds out the off season upgrade list. Think i'm gona scream in my helmet next spring?

Thanks guys

2003 R1 LE candy blood red powder coated everything silver incl. 98 bolts and rims are candy blood red with flat black star - my luv
2003 Kaw 636 stunt and track setups - my toy
1997 TL1000 s/r was a box of parts but thanks to Ebay it is almost done with sharkskins and frankienstien motor - my project
2001 Raptor 660r worked this one makes you hold on - my beast
93 kx 125 bored out - my 2 stroke

My theropist has 2 wheels and sessions start at 120mph - F%#& prozac!!
post #51 of 301 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrevteg View Post
Just had my O7 to the shop for a power upgrade. I was planning on going with the pcIII or bazzaz tunning. My tuner has brought some issues to my attention with the 07 not using 100% throttle thru out the rpm range. he has called dyno jet and they have told him to contact Graves. What can be done to over come this issue?
X2???

-2011 Black 10R Modded
-08 CBR 1000RR Modded
-07 R6 Charcole Grey (Wifey's)

-Past Rides, 07 R1, 04 R1, 05 R6, 03 R6
post #52 of 301 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
oh hellzzzzz yes

Quote:
bump! any word?
post #53 of 301 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:29 PM
oh hellzzzzz yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFastR1 View Post
X2???
The bike will only read 90% throttle on the dyno at certain RPM's. So at wide open throttle the dyno will only register the 90% limiting the tune. When we called dyno jet they sent us to Graves. Now when he called graves the guy there said he would shoot him an email explaining what to do because he could not talk about it over the phone! WTF????
post #54 of 301 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
The bike will only read 90% throttle on the dyno at certain RPM's. So at wide open throttle the dyno will only register the 90% limiting the tune. When we called dyno jet they sent us to Graves. Now when he called graves the guy there said he would shoot him an email explaining what to do because he could not talk about it over the phone! WTF????
so how did you end up?
post #55 of 301 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM
oh hellzzzzz yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrbamby View Post
so how did you end up?
I bought a YEC ECU. Lose the headlights and speedo but who cares about those two items.
post #56 of 301 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
I bought a YEC ECU. Lose the headlights and speedo but who cares about those two items.
yea speed indication and vision is overrated......so what was the reason behind the only 90% issue?
post #57 of 301 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM
X_Infantry

Graves dudes,

Did you guys remove the top "secondary" disks on the throttle bodys on your 04-06 R1 racebikes back in the day ?
post #58 of 301 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZZ View Post
Graves dudes,

Did you guys remove the top "secondary" disks on the throttle bodys on your 04-06 R1 racebikes back in the day ?
No, In fact we used them to tame down the power at small throttle openings. The kit software allowed us to adjust the position of the secondary butterflies. (TPS over RPM) Worked great! the riders thought they had traction control.
Chuck

www.gravesport.com
post #59 of 301 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM
X_Infantry

Thanks Chuck,

Been a big debate here going back YEARS about leaving in the top secondarys or taking them out on the 04 generation R1.

Out seemed to quicken the "power hit" imo.
post #60 of 301 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

i got a question. i just bought a graves gp shift knuckle adapter for my 05 r1 and it leans up and rubs on my frame. am i suppose to use the 07-08 shift rod? thanks

11.044 @ 127.17-07 R6
9.951 @ 141.44-05 R1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode