Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

New member here, need a little help

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  DarkHorse 
#1 ·
I just got my 2010 R1 yesterday. The guy I bought it from had not ridden it since May, but he got it serviced then and replaced the battery then. I started up when I test drove it and drove it back home. Now it won't start except when I push start it. The speedometer lights up, I can hear something click when I press the switch, but the engine doesn't turn over.

What should I do? Is the battery dead or weak?

#2 ·
Top up the charge on the battery, check that battery cable screws aren't loose.
The starter motor on the R1 is weak, and needs all the voltage/current it can get.
If you have good voltage & current, and the starter won't spin the engine, makes a loud click when you push the start button, then your starter motor is locked up internally by a loose magnet (common defect), and you must replace it.

#3 ·
See the other threads on "starter motor failed" etc. There are a few.
The permanent magnets are glued to the inside of the starter case.
The glue fails after some time and it locks up the rotor, will not spin, and draws high current from battery.

#4 · (Edited)
Chill, lol! its just a battery that simply does not have enough CCA (cold cranking amps). I bet money the first time the battery dies on anyones R1 09^ they get a nice lithium battery, The more I crank my bike the stronger the battery gets (how they work to a point of course) and believe me the starter motor has more than enough power. The only "Common issue" here is a battery and everything else is luck of the draw :)

#6 · (Edited)
things to do in order....

if you have a volt meter test it,

ask ole boy if battery has a warranty.... likely he will not answer lol.

"I started up when I test drove it and drove it back home. Now it won't start except when I push start it."

dead battery and he sold it to you put a little charge in it and boom works for now

go by a LI battery and be done with this no issue ever again! or be back on here 3-8 more times with the same issues like everyone :)

#9 ·
You're the expert... Everyone else who had a starter motor fail should have just bought a fancy-scmancy battery. What fools they were...

#10 · (Edited)
So I took the battery to autozone, and they attached it to what I'm assuming is a volt meter. It said the battery is at 100% capacity, but they also said that the battery is bad. The display literally said "100% capacity, BAD BATTERY." Idk how to make sense of that. When I put the battery back in the bike, the bike is completely dead. So I guess no option but take it to yamaha dealer?

Also, which model of the shorai is best? I'm looking to spend the least possible on a good lithium battery, since I was not anticipating these expenses.

Thanks again guys

#13 ·
Guess I am the expert :facepunch:?:grin:, I have the anti gravity and like it a lot, I had bad luck with that other brand but that was just me, I promise that the LI batt are worth it and then u don't have to worry about is it gonna start this time and the weight not that it really matters but they are very light, everyone else who's wrapped up about losing 6 pounds off their bike should just lose 6 pounds of fat imho.

Google how batteries can charge but not hold a charge.

#17 ·
I got a bit frustrated with it and ended up taking it to yamaha dealer. I didn't want to want too much time as I have to study for the MCAT. I'm gonna start a new post because now I have completely different problems with the bike, it turns out. Battery and starter motor were not the problem.
Thanks for the help everyone

#18 ·
Doesn't the starter crank the motor or not?
Not hard to isolate electrically a no crank problem.
10 minute job with a schematic and a DMM.

#20 ·
I still say get a lithium battery.

I've had an Alien Motion 12 cell in my bike for a few years now. Never once charged it. It's a beast.

Get the quick disconnects and simply unplug the battery and take it in the house when it's cold in the garage/outside.

However, I will be purchasing the charger for maintenance of the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.