Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Front brake pulsing, found out rotors installed backwards

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  vasol 
#1 ·
So i just got my hands on an 09 r1. The front brake pulses so i thought the rotors were warped. Upon closer inspection, i find the rotors are actually on in reverse order (according to the directional arrow).

My question is, are the rotors actually warped?? or are they pulsing simply because theyre on backwards?

Not sure how many miles have been put on the bike (it has 16k total) with these reverse rotors, maybe they got warped because they were on backwards to begin with?

Perhaps the reverse rotors caused uneven wear in the brake pads?

Should I reinstall them the right way and see if it works or just save time and replace them all together?

I'm also experiencing vibrations around 6-8k rpms under acceleration, apparently this is normal?

#2 ·
Don't forget the tire is directional as well. Is the arrow going the same direction as the arrow on the wheel? Is the tire new? Maybe someone put it on backwards. You got to get the wheel/tire direction right first. If it still pulses you probably have a warped rotor. Replace them as a set with new pads. Good luck!

#4 · (Edited)
:secret:......They spun the tire on backwards.....as it is likely not the OEM tire from 2009....

Here is another way to tell.....at the front of the wheel, the spoke of the rim should be concave side up, not the convex side. Look at this picture for reference....

Please post a picture of your front tire as mounted on the bike for further help...:fact

#7 ·
thanks everyone for all the help. the tire is new and was installed last year according to the previous owner.

And yup, looks like the wheel is indeed on backwards, concave side is facing up on the spokes as in the picture. They probably realized they put the tire on backwards...and instead of correcting the problem they decided to half ass it.

do you guys think flipping the wheel around and mounting the tire properly would get rid of the pulsing? I've read from a few other forums some front wheels can be flipped without any issues (besides tread direction), and that some people flip their wheels on the track to even out tire wear. im just trying to figure out if the backwards wheel and the pulsing brakes are related. recommendations on my next steps?

#8 ·
Most tires don't do well flipped. I would have the tire aligned with the proper rotation direction of the rim. Put it back on and see if you have a pulse. Another thing is that if the bike was/is stored outdoors, the buttons on the rotors can rust/freeze up and prevent the rotor from floating properly.

#9 ·
wait so im confused, is the picture you posted the correct way? if so thats how mine is mounted, exactly like in the picture.

got the front up on a stand today, theres lots of rubbing from brake pads onto the rotor, if i spin it full strength it would only go around 2-3x. from what i can tell the rotors dont seem to be warped..although the wheel is kinda difficult to spin. some of the pads look like they are wearing unevenly as well, perhaps this pulsing is a caliper issue?

can you provide anymore information on the buttons on the rotors rusting up? i've searched and couldnt really find anything. Thank you!

#11 · (Edited)
Glad you got it sorted out....

The bike has been crashed?.....If the caliper is ground down and broke the bleeder off....Wait...the bleader is on the inside....How the heck did that get ground down there.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.