Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2013 R1 ticking noise

12K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  wgrimsley144743 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 R1. I just got it and it seems to have a slight ticking noise coming from near the header/front of the engine area. It may be the cam chain or something or it could be the cross plane engine is just a little noisier than my zx6r I'm not sure so that is why I am posting. Any ideas as to what it could be? In first and second gear just going aroung town I can hear it speed up and slow down with the engine. It's not bad at all it sounds more like a tiny click than anything. The bike is still under warranty and all. Just wondering what kind of responses and advice I could get on here, any help is appreciated. Thank you!

#9 ·
Will the cam chain tensioner make noise when the clutch was pulled in? I was almost willing to be my house it was the cam chain tensioner until I pulled my clutch in now I'm just lost and think it's both! ?
Post a video of it. If it goes away when you pull your clutch in it's probably a problem with wear on some parts of the clutch basket (rings or some bearing) if you have that clutch rattle. This can eventually lead to magnets on the flywheel shaking loose of their adhesive and getting smashed to bits inside the case. I'm very familiar with this problem because it plagues almost all Suzuki SV-1000's, which happens to be my other bike and it has this issue. I've noticed my R1 very slightly starting to exhibit a similar symptom (at least the sound) and I only have about 4400 miles on it. I can't even ride my SV right now because one of the magnets is smashed in there and it doesn't make enough current to keep the battery topped off (plus I don't want any of the magnet pieces to get sucked into the oil pickup and grenade my motor).

#13 ·

This will take you to the video of my bike. The first segment of it is on the right hand side of the motor right next to the fairing, the second portion is right in front of the headers. I hope this link works and that someone can identify this, thanks for yall's help!

#15 ·
https://youtu.be/beGO_3Wodxs

This will take you to the video of my bike. The first segment of it is on the right hand side of the motor right next to the fairing, the second portion is right in front of the headers. I hope this link works and that someone can identify this, thanks for yall's help!
Your bike sounds completely normal to me. Sounds just like mine.

Search for bad CCT motorcycle on YouTube and you will hear how load a bad CCT is.

And like I've said before, you can go ahead and replace the OEM CCT with a manual CCT if you'd like. I prefer Graves.

#17 ·
Ok. Like I've said, your bike sounds normal.

I would still install a Graves manual CCT for preventative maintenance.

Search for "Yamaha tick" and you will see that your bike sounds normal.

You're sitting on top of a 1.0 liter engine so you're going to hear everything. :yesnod

#21 ·
So just went for a ride for about 30 minutes to see how it sounded after some research. I rode in first gear at 35 to 40 for about 5 miles just holding it there, did some faster acceleration and spirited riding (nothing outrageous) and just had a little fun with the bike. I still hear it, this is the update after i rode. It sounds exactly the same in neutral as it does going down the road. This is it at idle, 3k, and 5k rpm's. The phone is on the right side of the engine at the edge of the fairing.

#23 ·
My friend that races an 06 and rides a 13 R1 said it sounded like normal yamaha chatter to him also. Thanks for all the time and replies. Hopefully this will help someone else that is new to the R1 world as much as it has helped me. One thing is for sure this bike is a beast and I can't wait for my next road trip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.