Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2011 Yamaha R1 - Stalls on First Gear

3K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  omegadoom76 
#1 ·
Ok so I have been reading multiple forums on the site and have replaced and attempted almost everything I have read about and still stalls when 1st Gear is engaged. Here we go:

History: Purchased the bike from a guy who bought it from another guy yada yada yada..apparently someone tried to steal it and wiped out pretty much breaking most of the fairings, bars..ignition switch etc. I have attached an image of what the bike looked like when I got it.

I have pretty much replaced everything from auctions and new parts (OEM) minus the ignition switch. The first issue I had was I ordered an aftermarket ignition switch with a key and had an orange wire left over. The bike started with no issues but had not attempted to drive it. Ran a Diag and 1 code appeared related to the air temp sensor (22).

So i have completely assembled it and the bike stalls when 1st gear is engaged. I replaced clutch switch (New) below lever, bypassed kickstand switch, then ended up purchasing an OEM (New), and still stalls. Neutral light is on when in neutral and comes off when in gear and also stalls. If I attempt to start it in gear while squeezing clutch it won't start at all. A local guy (El Paso TX) said I needed to replace Neutral Switch, another guy said I needed to replace the clutch. I mounted the bike to see if it would spin in 1st gear and wheel is very tough to rotate so I know the clutch is still good. Before I send it to the shop, which are crap here (Lies, Lies, Lies) maybe someone can help.

Any responses can be replied to here or emailed to friendsandhotrods@yahoo.com

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes but remember if it works then you need to stall it out with the back brake. Not safe if you don't feel comfortable. I have seen this before, get it up in 5 and pull the clutch in and rev it up or take it all apart and some the plates. Just a guess hear based on your info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Yeah just remember it might not want to stop if the clutch don't disengage so you will need to force it to stop with the back brake. I seen it happen on another r1. The plates get stuck together. I guess you could put it on a stand with the chain off and try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
bubkell, I just had a chance to attempt separating the clutches yesterday and it didn't work. So the next thing I did was drain the oil and check the clutches out by removing them. The clutches we're not stuck together. They are actually still new. The bike has 1600 miles when it was dropped. So the next thing I did was check out the TipOver Sensor which I broke with frustration but Im bypassing that with 150ohm resistors today. Could it possibly be the neutral safety switch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.