Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Need help with clutch adjustment

21K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Sharksawyer 
#1 ·
Today while riding, I started to notice my clutch was slipping bad. First thing I thought was my oil was low(don't know if level affects slippage) had my buddy hold my bike straight and noticed that my level is just above the middle between the 2 notches in my glass. I'm running motul synthetic in my 14 R1. I think I've pinpointed my issue to my clutch cable/lever not disengaging my clutch fully, so when I'm doing 80mph in 6th gear, if I twist my throttle at all, it would shoot high up in the RPMs but the bike wouldn't really move too. I tried to mess with the adjustment right before my clutch lever, but it was tightened all of the way, if I loosened it, the slipping got worse. I know there are 2 adjustment nuts, but I've never adjusted those no any bike before. Could anyone give any advice or tips on how to adjust the clutch properly?

#2 ·
They both do the same thing. Up top if you screw the barrel adjuster in, it will give you more free play at the lever and clutch plates will increase grip. Shouldn't have to touch the bottom one but if you do, adjusting the nuts so the cable housing moves closer to the push lever will tighten the grip on plates. Also, oil in the middle of sight glass is not your problem.

Mark

ps You want about 1/2" of free play at the end of your clutch lever.

#5 ·
On the bar near Ray clutch lever, I don't have anymore adjustment. I have never tried to touch the side adjustment though. I think that's what I have to do. I changed from a stock lever to a crg RC2 lever about a month ago, but didn't have any problems with slipping. I don't beat on the bike too much, I don't wheelie, I am very adamant on oil changes and maintenance.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I'm gonna have to take a look at the side adjustment. If I turn my lever adjustment to the right, towards my lever.. It goes all the way to my bar and stops, I have no free play what so ever. If I turn the adjustment screw left and back it away from my lever, I get more slack in my lever, but the slipping becomes way worse. My bike only has 9k miles, I'd hope to God my clutch isn't burned out lol

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I don't wheelie, I don't really beat on my bike too much. There's the occasional "Oh I wanna go fast" but I don't really beat my bike up. I try to take as best of care of it as possible. Just changed the plugs at 8k miles, I did an oil change right before I stored it for the winter last november, did another oil change when I took her out of storage this spring. I'm going to do another oil change tomorrow and stop running full synthetic in her, I'm going to yamalube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.