Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Codes galore

2K views 35 replies 2 participants last post by  Itsslow 
#1 ·
Long story short; bike has sat for ~2 years and is now throwing a few codes..

Ran the diagnostic on it and it's showing codes 22, 30, 60 and 70.

When I try to crank it, it will either sputter for a few seconds and die or go WOT until I hit the kill switch. There's no in between.

I don't mind throwing parts at it, but I just need to be pointed in the right direction on which ones.

Thanks

#3 ·
That's the site I was using to run the diagnostic codes for it. I saw what they referred to, but wasn't sure if anyone knew what reason would point to all of them.

Code 60 is apparent to be the cause of my idling problem. Is the throttle servo motor a normal part that goes bad? Twisting the throttle gives no change once it's cranked.

Not sure how to clear them, but I'll look into it more tomorrow.

#4 ·
Code 60 in the manual looks like it has a good set of steps to follow to narrow down the issue. Have you followed all the steps described for code 60?

If not follow all the steps and this will let you know what needs to be replaced whether or not it be fuse, cable or throttle body. Fingers crossed its a poor connection or a fuse ...

#8 ·
did you test it via diag mode to see if it is working? That is the best way to see if its bad. If it is not changing values then follow the procedures, hose first then sensor.

the sensor is attached to the airbox filter case duct that attaches where the air comes in through the frame to the airbox. the diagram is on page 7-23

#10 ·
Take a look at the how to here http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/46-how-tos/265306-how-09-14-r1-smog-plates-install.html

It will show you what you have to do to get to the sensor as its basically getting to that place to install the smog block offs, what tools, how difficult it will be.

Since it sounds like you are not in the same place as the bike it might pay to have yourself ready to go if you need to check the actual hose or sensor connection.

Good luck!

#11 · (Edited)
Alright. I got the intake taken apart and found the sensor. It appears fine (not damaged in any way), but nothing changes when I unplug it or plug it back in. The code is still there.

Soooo I guess I'm good to assume that the sensor is bad and that I should order another one?

Edit: just to make sure, we're talking about #32 on this diagram, correct?

Attachments

#12 ·
Did you follow the test instructions for it?
Funnily enough I had the same error come up this past weekend when I was fitting the ais delete kit and a coil harness for my quickshifter. After putting everything back to gather I got the error code.
I pulled it all apart again and disconnected the sensor blew out the insides with compressed air, made sure the pins were straight, reconnected it making sure it was firmly connected.
Then I checked the small hose that connects it to the airbox for kinks or bends and put everything back together, cleared errors and turned the bike on and bingo it was gone.
I found no problems with any of it when checking so you may need to do it a couple of times to make sure.

I didn't need to go as far as following the sensor checking steps in diag mode but it may be worth it if you don't want to lay out for a new sensor only to find it does not fix the issue.

Also I found the sensor on partzilla for $77.43 in case you need to buy one 2C0-82380-00-00 SENSOR, PRESSURE $77.43

#28 ·
So. Back to this again. It would idle for about a week (wasn't in riding condition at the time), but shortly after wouldn't idle anymore.. The code never went away from replacing the sensor either. So I stopped messing with it.

Now I'm trying to figure this out again. What are the odds on both of the sensors going bad?

#29 ·
Hmm that sucks mate. Lets look at this logically.

Is the issue exactly like it was before?

So you tried clearing the old codes again and its still error 14 showing? No other codes?

Have you tested the replacement sensor via the diag mode from before?

Did you check the hose to make sure it is in good condition and not kinked at all?

#30 ·
From what I remember it's doing the same exact thing as before.

Every time I tried to clear the codes, error 14 wouldn't erase and would still show. But the bike would idle once the sensor was replaced and then it stopped.

Hose isn't kinked and looks to be in good condition.

#31 ·
Did you test the new sensor?

Also the only other thing listed as a possible cause is the bikes ECU, maybe take the ECU out check its connectors and re-seat it .. long shot but if the sensor is working and the hose is ok, the only other thing it can be according to the manual is the ECU. But that could be the connection to it from the sensor so check the wiring to the sensor and the ECU connections as well.

Failing that if anyone who lives near you with a 2009-10 ecu would be willing you could swap it out to test if things work better with a different ecu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.