Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2010 R1 Cold Start issue?

8K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  soumen.sam 
#1 ·
11k km on it, the bike was starting and running good on a cold start (Not cold weather only, when its idle for few days). But since some time I'm noticing on a cold start its starts fine and remains in idle no issues, just the idle is lower than normal (800-900) But if I accelerate and release the throttle, when the RPM falling down its tends to drop power and engine stalls. Its like its losing power when the RPM is falling. Its even happening at very slight acceleration. No issues if I accelerate and keep steady in any RPM.

But after just 100miter run no problem at all. I even keep it start idle for two minutes after a cold start before the run, but still this happens just at the beginning run.

Exception is I used Abro Fuel Injector cleaner since some time and using it for last two full tank. Could this due to the foul spark plug? Few time back cleaned the air filter and all cleaned inside.

#7 ·
I thought its the best forum worldwide so always post here, but gets very less feedback, almost nil. SO feeling sad.

Re-posting: 2010 R1 Cold Start issue
11k km on it, it was starting and running fine on a cold start even in winters (when its idle for few days). But since some time I'm getting this issue, its starts fine and remains in idle no issues, just the idle is very lower (800-900) even sometime the engine stalling due to low RPM and if I accelerate it stalls. But once it crossing 50°C its back to normal rpm by itself. Even with the hot engine after a run if I stop the engine and restart again it takes around 5sec to back to normal rpm. Cant figure out the issue. Everything is working fine, did diagnostic test and all working ok. Thanks

What I observe once it cross 50°C if I turn off the engine by kill switch and keep the console on and start again then no issue but if I turn off the key and start again then for few sec the idle goes down and up again. So thinking it could be an electrical issue or ECU related?

#8 ·
I think the problem is nobody has a definitive cure for this. There's not enough info and a lot of people don't ride in the cold.

My bike did this a few times when it was cold, but now it rarely gets cold where I live so it doesn't happen. Can't troubleshoot a problem that doesn't happen.

I did find this, not sure if it will help with cold starts.
1-bike will not start. 2-turn kill switch on. 3-turn ignition key off. 4-wait 5 seconds. 5-turn ignition key on. 6-turn kill switch off. 7-start bike

As for the warm restart, that is curious. I've had hard starts and low idle after the bike has been shut off, but I tend to blame it on heat soak.

#9 · (Edited)
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I dont mean cold weather, I live in average 30°C weather and in summer its pretty hot here. By cold start I mean when the bike is idle for few days or a day.

Points are once the bike was idle for 20days when I was working on cleaning it very well, detailing etc, after the job done when I start it was producing good smoke from behind the radiator, I applied bug and tar remover etc to clean the pipes and engine area. Not sure why the smoke produced but the engine reached to 100°C in just 1-2minutes and fan turned on, after few start the smoke was gone and became normal. and during the work I only cleaned the airfilter but didnt remove any fuel lines. Just since then I'm getting this issue.

Its starts fine each time but idle is very low if I accelerate and leave the throttle the engine stalls. But just it crossed 50°C the idle became normal. Even in winter here 10°C I didnt have any starting and idling issue.

I feel like its a electrical issue more than mechanical but not sure what is the fault. When the engine is hot if I turn off the key and start the engine again, it remain low idle for few seconds and then became normal. But if I just use the kill switch and leave the key on and start again then idle is proper from the start.

I checked the air temp sensor by a hair dryer heat and its working fine. Could it be the engine temp sensor issue or ECU issue?

And yes before this I was using a fuel injector cleaner.

#12 ·
Hi NoExpert, thanks for your feedback.

What is coolant temp sensor? is it not the engine temp sensor or both are different? and where it is located?

The smoke was likely any residue from the cleaner left on the pipes I too thought so and saw smoke developing on the pipes but why it reached to 100°C in just 2 minutes? where normally it takes over 10-15minutes to turn on the fan if I keep it idle.

When researching about the idle issue I saw the air leak advice and few days back I open the airfilter box and check all, all screw tighten properly, cover set properly and filter too. So dont think there was an leak. However I have the K&N filter and after cleaning I didnt recognize which is front side and which is back, so just kept the text side in front.

I will research about the coolant temp sensor. Thanks

#13 · (Edited)
Regarding the modes I only installed LeoVince carbon fiber exhaust, only exhaust under the seat not full system. no other modes technically and ran with that exhaust 1k km and no idle issues at all. Even in winter here its was starting and idling fine. Just recently getting this idle issue.

Moreover its a ECU based bike, if there is no technical issue its ECU maintain the air fuel mixture during a cold start like ECU based cars. So at any weather it should start just fine.

#14 ·
Someone else posted this in another thread (see below). I haven't tried it yet, but I doubt there is much legitimacy to it.

Turn the bike on with run/stop switch already in the run position and let the fuel pump run its complete prime cycle. Then hold the throttle WIDE OPEN and hit the starter button. Let it crank for about half a second with the throttle wide open and then let it shut. It should fire. If it does not kick all the way over repeat the same process however this time, after you let the throttle shut, wait another .5 seconds and start to open it just a hair. This works on all FI R!s including the 02 03. Its basically a pseudo choke.

#16 ·
Parts wear over time and not only motorcycles but car as well require more power for cold starts.

My bike never had a cold start issue for a while but then gradually did get the cold start issue.

I think you need a better battery.

You said your bike is stock. Could be a bad O2 sensor. That could cause an all of a sudden poor idle.

I do know that my bad idle started around the time I got my bike flashed and deleted the O2 sensor.

#23 ·
I'm not sure, I got this bike at 9k km and the previous owner is a deff, no technical knowledge and he couldnt able to gave much info about the service history. But I was planing to give it a good service from yamaha dealer and they will replace whatever require but the service station is far away from my home and its rainy season so couldnt able to do this, as soon as the season end I will do this. And in the meanwhile I'm trying myself if I can fix these. Thanks

#28 ·
I drove it yesterday and today and no stalling, at the start RPM was little high above 1k and same regain above 50C.

I thought about the fuel issue at the beginning but there have no connection between fuel and 50C temp, still I check that too. Thanks

#29 ·
I realize this thread is a little old but my bike does the same thing. When the bike sits for a while, and I start it up for the first time, it starts off great. Then when it warms up and rev it. The engine will stall. It didn’t start til I had my ECU flashed after having a previous company do it. I’ve spent a lot of money trying to find the culprit and still no luck

#30 ·
As per my observation I highly doubt its due to the O2 sensor and definitely its a electrical issue as if I dont turn off the key no poor idle issue while restart.

I didnt spent a penny on it, instead I sold the bike yesterday and upgrading to a 2015 Fireblade. Definitely R1 is a gem and beast machine but after riding for a year and recently driving a zx10R and fireblade I felt R1 is a fully track focus bike and not good for long rides and the bigger issue is it heats up a lot, where these other two not even slightly heat even in slow traffic.

Any way thank you guys for your helps so far and I appreciate it and enjoyed the R1 as it was my 1st superbike which made my dream came true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.