How much sprocket wobble is too much? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

09-14 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 09-14 R1

 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
gkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 822
Garage
How much sprocket wobble is too much?

So just replaced the sprockets and chain and the rear sprocket has a wobble to it... Worried about it, I occasionally feel a a light impact sensation or something thru my foot pegs, not sure if I'm being paranoid because my old chain and sprockets where worn pretty bad and appeared to have rubbing on the inside of the plate of the chain.. see attached for video of new sprocket. Things I've checked, torque of the sprocket bolts and alignment and torque of the rear axle.


Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
gkamp is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:15 PM
I eat my R1
 
iamzombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,176
Christ, is it bent or is your axle horribly out of adjustment? That does not look normal to me.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
iamzombie is online now  
post #3 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,511
How many miles. Looks to me like it's time to replace all bearings' Cush drive and axle. Don't **** around.
Thejman1000 is offline  
 
post #4 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
gkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 822
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzombie View Post
Christ, is it bent or is your axle horribly out of adjustment? That does not look normal to me.
:/ dang

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
gkamp is online now  
post #5 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
gkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 822
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
How many miles. Looks to me like it's time to replace all bearings' Cush drive and axle. Don't **** around.
14.5k... it's my daily don't even really hot rod it... Don't feel any play when I grab the tire and try to move it...

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
gkamp is online now  
post #6 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
gkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 822
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
:/ dang

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
Axle alignment

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
gkamp is online now  
post #7 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
14.5k... it's my daily don't even really hot rod it... Don't feel any play when I grab the tire and try to move it...

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
It only takes a little play. I personally would replace all the bearings their pretty cheap. Check the Cush drive peices.
Thejman1000 is offline  
post #8 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
gkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 822
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
It only takes a little play. I personally would replace all the bearings their pretty cheap. Check the Cush drive peices.
Are they pressed in? Yeah I was just looking at bearings.... Can't believe bearings would go out so early...

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
gkamp is online now  
post #9 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
Axle alignment

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
Even if the axle was out it wouldn't do that. You would notice a horrible chain noise if it was badly out of wack. Have you hit any pot holes?
You could also have a rim problem
Thejman1000 is offline  
post #10 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
gkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 822
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
Even if the axle was out it wouldn't do that. You would notice a horrible chain noise if it was badly out of wack. Have you hit any pot holes?
You could also have a rim problem
I mean not anymore than normal riding in the city... Nothing that I recall that was like damn that was hard.... 😟

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
gkamp is online now  
post #11 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
Are they pressed in? Yeah I was just looking at bearings.... Can't believe bearings would go out so early...

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
Yes. You can bang the old ones out if you don't have a tool. Install new ones with a large threaded rod and some washers and nuts if you don't have a tool. I've seen them fail much earlier than that. Do you use a torq wrench when tightening??
Thejman1000 is offline  
post #12 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Never too old to let 'er rip
 
Rainey fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 79
An axle not being aligned properly just means the rear sprocket is not on the same plane as the front sprocket. It would have nothing to do with causing a wobble. Something's not right there.
gkamp and mhuber like this.
Rainey fan is offline  
post #13 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
I mean not anymore than normal riding in the city... Nothing that I recall that was like damn that was hard.... 😟

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
Replace all things. If money is an issue check each part one by one. Start with the axle. But I doubt it's that.
Thejman1000 is offline  
post #14 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
gkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 822
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
Yes. You can bang the old ones out if you don't have a tool. Install new ones with a large threaded rod and some washers and nuts if you don't have a tool. I've seen them fail much earlier than that. Do you use a torq wrench when tightening??
Yes I always torque the rear axle nut with a torque wrench.. wow failing less than 14k... Had ~60k on my zx6rr never once touched bearings 😟.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
gkamp is online now  
post #15 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Chillin'
 
One2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 9,546
Garage
Doesn't look like the tire is wobbling.

I'm sure it's just the sprocket.

Remove it and lay it on a flat surface it's what I would do.

Could also be a cush drive or carrier issue.
iamzombie and mhuber like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
One2 is online now  
post #16 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,511
Looking at you video several more times I'm gonna have to say Cush drive inserts and the bearing in the sprocket carrier.
Thejman1000 is offline  
post #17 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
Doesn't look like the tire is wobbling.

I'm sure it's just the sprocket.

Remove it and lay it on a flat surface it's what I would do.

Could also be a cush drive or carrier issue.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....off...lol
Thejman1000 is offline  
post #18 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
gkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 822
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
Looking at you video several more times I'm gonna have to say Cush drive inserts and the bearing in the sprocket carrier.
I'll pull it apart and look, anything that can be visually inspected?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
gkamp is online now  
post #19 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Chillin'
 
One2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 9,546
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....off...lol
gkamp likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
One2 is online now  
post #20 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
Yes I always torque the rear axle nut with a torque wrench.. wow failing less than 14k... Had ~60k on my zx6rr never once touched bearings 😟.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
Most of the time they fail due to heat. Just curious do you do any stoppies??
Thejman1000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome