Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

changing clutch plates?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Enrique777 
#1 ·
my clutch plates r worn out and it slips like a bitch so i ordered the new clutch and friction plates, now the dealer is telling me its a 2 hour install so $180 to install. is this something i can do myself, are there any instructions on how to do it around? i change the oil and everything i just never looked into this, if its not that big of a deal i might go for it myself.

#7 ·
that good thread. you dont have to take center hub out with impact. just removing old plates and soak new plates and install them. getting cover on is hardest part..just take little patience. remove the piano wire and dont put it back in... most will tell you to install new one when you take old one out..but just leave it out. small set of picks and magnetics help get plates out. changing clutch usually takes me about 20 minutes.

#8 · (Edited)
Wasn't there a debate about whether or not to put the wire back in :dunno Then again I doubt most of us are making drag runs with our bikes, so if yours is out and you have not any issues, that pretty much sums it up for me :lol

#10 ·
I had a fiber plate explode on my son's YZ125, particles went through the weep hole and locked up the tranny. It didn't really do any damage, but I had to split the cases, clean everything, remove all of debris, and replace all of the bearings and seals. It sucked!! :rant

#14 ·
wire is suppose to help dampen clutch. it keeps last 2 plates against the little damper springs in there. suppose to keep it from chattering. but i can tell zero difference with it in or out... so i dont chance it.

#15 ·
hey boys been reading up on anythign i can about the clutch as im bout to change mine coz its left me stranded on freeway other night as previous owner either adjuted it wrong or didnt know how to ride , i say this coz the bike only has 6500kms lol so shud be like new, anyways...
whats this piano wire you guys are speaking of? anyone got pictures ? sorry if its a nob question, ive never done ay work on bikes before and im in the learning stage... thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.