Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best year of R1 and why?

90K views 106 replies 72 participants last post by  stan1 
#1 ·
I hope to be in the market sooner than later this year to get an R1 to add to my stable, and was curious on your thoughts/opinions on what year is the best and why?

I hope this doesn't start a flame war or anything, I just genuinely want to know.

Thanks all,
Dustin :rock

#44 ·
Hey mate,

I really like the looks of the newer models but have never had the cash for one. I've had a 2001 model and 2 1998's (see sig, avatar and pic attached).

The only major problem was 2nd gear slipping on the earlier models. can't think of anything else.

There's a thread for people modding their carb versions you should check out - lots of people in there will be able to tell you all you need to know re: engine mods etc.

andy

Attachments

#58 ·
Check out Rod's 00 abit closer . . . its not what it appears you have to look closer . . . check out the rear suspension and swinger, front suspension & brakes . . . there's some really sweet stealthy upgrades going on there . . . you don't notice them until you pick apart the details :secret:

#49 ·
Don't forget the fly-by-wire throttle on the 07-08.. the power is there in a hurry compared to my '01...

#51 ·
They all have their groundbreaking strengths that would make them technically "the best". But realistically if your talking about the best ever. Especially performance wise then it would be the '08.

If your seriously looking at getting an R1.. the more important question would be what do you plan to do with/on the bike. That would help us better suggest which year to choose.

My immediate recommendation would be get a leftover '07. I wouldnt get an '08 right now because:

1) The '07 and '08 are identical except for a different ECU and paint colours.

2) You can find a new leftover '07 for $9,000 OTD and it would depreciate alot less than the '08. Which currently runs about $11-12,000 OTD.

3) The '09 R1 should be completely redesigned and will immediately make your shiney 5 month old '08 outdated when it is announced in September this year.

#55 ·
Hahahah agreed.
I just got a left over 07. And your right their trying to get rid of them and the price was dropped dramatically.

#52 ·
I fell in love with the 02 R1 but sadly, I have never actually owned that model. I htought my 04 R1 was fantastic, and would be impossible to better on looks and performance, then I got the 07 R1........ and Yamaha had managed the impossible, they improved the perfect...... and made the 07 / 08 R1.....

so I guess now I would say the 07 / 08 R1 is the best

Steve

#54 ·
see dude... J$ is all fcked up... hes got the 07 with the look of an 08!! pimpin raven black :riding:ncont:

#57 ·
Opinions on this are a bit like arseholes .... Everyone's got one :)

Personally, I'm a '98 lover but that's because it's the only 1 I've ever owned! I'm sure they ALL have their good points.

#62 ·
07 With ECU fix or 08, is the best r1 IMO, After that id say the 03

#63 ·
Ive ridden a carb'd 2000, owned a 2008 and now own the 2010 Crossplane.

The 2000 was a torque monster, Id have one at the drop of a hat.

2007-08, excellent bike, easy to ride, fast as ****.

2009-2010, probobly the most comfy bike ive ever ridden, lovely gadgets, rattles like a skeleton having a wank in a biscuit tin, really smooth once at speed though.

All views based on road not track.

#65 ·
Lol @ oh boy I said it!

I rode my euro 2008 110 miles to trade up to a crossplane, the torque was waaay stronger on the crossplane then the 08. On a track a crossplane would be better, on a straight probably the 08, but it would have to have an impeccable start to overcome the crossplanes torquey start.

The end.

#66 ·
Without any doubt the 09 (euro spec)
had a 172bhp 2007 R1 and didnt get on with the engine feel at all. Unless it was spinning above 8000rpm at wide open throttle nothing much happened. On the road the engine did nothing for me unless you were on big straights. Off part throttle it basically did nothing.
the 161bhp that my 09 makes with Akra's is plenty for the road
I always though the 07 felt like an 04 with a slightly laggy throttle and more top end

#67 ·
Then something must be wrong or you aren't riding it in the correct RPM range, when I ride my 07 the slightest touch of the throttle will just about kill you if you are leaned over. :fact

IMHO here, I have taken my 07 on a few road trips and ride it every day year round and take it to the track every now and again and if you are complaining that the bike feels sluggish below 7k RPM's or is hard to ride on the street, then you just plain need to learn how to ride or just need to pull your head out of your ass and quit giving us your biased opinion.

(albeit the 09/10's are already +2 in the rear which would give them an advantage in the low end grunt department)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.