Danget! Binned it again! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
R1 & Turbo

Danget! Binned it again!

So this is the 2nd time I ate chit this summer. Another rookie lesson learned (cold tires). Last wed I was feeling a little frisky on my way into the office. I decided to lean into the first turn of the day a little too hard. I kinda knew I was pushing it but I've been trying to trust my tires a little more lately and working on my low speed turning ability. Big mistake! I kinda knew I should've waited for the tires to warm up but I under estimated how cold it was outside. Looking back it was 50 deg outside and I was only 3 blocks from my house. The pavement went from asphalt to smooth concrete in the middle of the turn. As soon as the surface changed I lost the rear at around 25mph ish and she slid into the curb. I had on all my gear so I hopped right up without injury but the bike was ugly all down the right side and I broke off a rearset. I pulled out my tools zip tied the plastics up and put a bolt through the rearset and kept going. My bike is a complete disaster right now looks wise.

Im going to replace everything mechanical thats broke but I plan to leave the ugly plastics for a few more months incase I bite it again. I need to invest in sliders bad!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Owner of the color changing R1

glad you made it out alright. buy yourself some fiberglass and paint and repair the plastics yourself....and give it a new paint job

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Competition Werkes slipons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, Flashtune.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nster View Post
So this is the 2nd time I ate chit this summer. Another rookie lesson learned (cold tires). Last wed I was feeling a little frisky on my way into the office. I decided to lean into the first turn of the day a little too hard. I kinda knew I was pushing it but I've been trying to trust my tires a little more lately and working on my low speed turning ability. Big mistake! I kinda knew I should've waited for the tires to warm up but I under estimated how cold it was outside. Looking back it was 50 deg outside and I was only 3 blocks from my house. The pavement went from asphalt to smooth concrete in the middle of the turn. As soon as the surface changed I lost the rear at around 25mph ish and she slid into the curb. I had on all my gear so I hopped right up without injury but the bike was ugly all down the right side and I broke off a rearset. I pulled out my tools zip tied the plastics up and put a bolt through the rearset and kept going. My bike is a complete disaster right now looks wise.

Im going to replace everything mechanical thats broke but I plan to leave the ugly plastics for a few more months incase I bite it again. I need to invest in sliders bad!

Honestly the concrete is a more likely culprit than your tires being cold. Although if your tires were warmed up it probably wouldn't have happened. But concrete gets real slick in conditions that asphalt normally doesnt. i.e. morning time with some frost still out.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
R1 & Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett04 View Post
Honestly the concrete is a more likely culprit than your tires being cold. Although if your tires were warmed up it probably wouldn't have happened. But concrete gets real slick in conditions that asphalt normally doesnt. i.e. morning time with some frost still out.
I agree completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
glad you made it out alright. buy yourself some fiberglass and paint and repair the plastics yourself....and give it a new paint job
Im going to glass them up, repair the cracks as best I can copy the youtube how to on it on it and then plasti dip them for the time being.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 AM
Herro!

Sorry to hear DW. Glad you weren't hurt, and you should definitely invest in sliders

Last edited by SakiBomb; 11-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Turn and Burn!

Suxs dude! So close to election day too!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Quality Parts at Great Prices!

You must love your gear!

Show us how bad it looks, somehow I always think, bikes that look rough just adds character and gives you street cred :P
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Venom X/O

Sorry buddy

Would love to see some aftermath, no offense

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
R1 & Turbo

I spaced on this thread. sorry guys it's been a wild year for me and I got busy.

here is an update sorry for the crappy photos my iphone4 camera sucks.

How I bought it 3 years ago

2000$ in parts later

These are from the first wreck I had last year where some lady cut me off and I rookie braked and lost it.

This saved my leg

This is after I put on on crap fairings and got it running good enough for me to get around town and look for a job while my srt4 was down.

Got a new DD car (2013 wrx) and let the bike sit till now.

Almost a year later I finally got some money aside and I am putting it back together again.

Still needs alot of work and time but this is where Im at so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode