Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Friend Totaled My 2011 R1

11K views 121 replies 53 participants last post by  BleedsBlue 
#1 ·
Guys,

here it goes.

I need some advise and suggestions on where to go with this thing. I am so sad to even write this as I have been without a bike for almost 3 months.

The story goes like this> On August 20th I went on a trip to France. I decided to leave my bike parked in my buddies house garage (he lives with his parents so technically their garage but i dont think they were aware at the time) I live in an apartment and there is not underground parking.

I left him with the Keys to the bike in case he needed to move it around in the garage but did not leave him with the (ownership*title* or insurance papers) I also did tell him that he is not to take the bike out as I am only storing it.

I came to find out that he did take it out a few times while I was away. The last time he took it out he smashed it going 150KMS about 100Miles thankfully he came out of it with only a few scratches and no broken bones.

This is where is gets interesting. when he crashed the bike he dragged the bike to the side of the road snapped off the plate and ran away and got picked up by a buddy. I had made a phone call home (Canada Toronto) only to find out that the Police has called and spoken with my family regarding a bike accident.

Bike was towed and never seen again as it was way to much to recover in fees when i got back.

After speaking with my buddy who crashed my bike while i was in Paris he wanted to claim it as stolen from his property and I advised him that this is not a good idea as I only have 3rd party insurance (comprehensive so it would only cover the other car! But he didn't him any other car) and thats its best for him to turn himself in as if the police were to ask me where my bike was when i was away it would still lead to him.

The police have charged him with *Fail to remain*, *something else*, *no ownership-title* and No Insurance. He already had his first appearance on the 30th of October. He sent me a short text asking me for my papers but I said to him that I was not giving them to him unless I was given my money for the bike.

I dont really know what to do at this point, I have yet to see and Money from him for my bike and he is trying to avoid me, (*at this point he is obviously not a friend*)(So I could care less.) I have not spoken to the cops yet about the situation and im sure if i do they would want me to press charges as im sure they spent a decent amount of time looking for him in the bushes,.

What are my options here? I just want my money! its about 10500 as the bike had very low Km. It is sad and makes me so angry as i write this....

RIP 2011 Black Yamaha R1

Attachments

See less See more
#118 ·
:iamwithst :sing:

#119 ·
the reality is that it's probably a loss, you won't see any money from him, lesson is put it in storage next time, costs you a few bucks, and certainly not 10K....

as far as his arrest, i wouldn't help him out with any paperwork for your bike unless he has the full amount of cash in hand to replace the bike, let him eat it and tell him not to drop the soap :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol but I wouldn't pursue anything else civil unless his family actually has money

#121 ·
just a thought, and kinda of a useless question, but wtf happened to the ECU!??

not shown in the pics... weird... rough accident for sure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.