Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Friend Totaled My 2011 R1

11K views 121 replies 53 participants last post by  BleedsBlue 
#1 ·
Guys,

here it goes.

I need some advise and suggestions on where to go with this thing. I am so sad to even write this as I have been without a bike for almost 3 months.

The story goes like this> On August 20th I went on a trip to France. I decided to leave my bike parked in my buddies house garage (he lives with his parents so technically their garage but i dont think they were aware at the time) I live in an apartment and there is not underground parking.

I left him with the Keys to the bike in case he needed to move it around in the garage but did not leave him with the (ownership*title* or insurance papers) I also did tell him that he is not to take the bike out as I am only storing it.

I came to find out that he did take it out a few times while I was away. The last time he took it out he smashed it going 150KMS about 100Miles thankfully he came out of it with only a few scratches and no broken bones.

This is where is gets interesting. when he crashed the bike he dragged the bike to the side of the road snapped off the plate and ran away and got picked up by a buddy. I had made a phone call home (Canada Toronto) only to find out that the Police has called and spoken with my family regarding a bike accident.

Bike was towed and never seen again as it was way to much to recover in fees when i got back.

After speaking with my buddy who crashed my bike while i was in Paris he wanted to claim it as stolen from his property and I advised him that this is not a good idea as I only have 3rd party insurance (comprehensive so it would only cover the other car! But he didn't him any other car) and thats its best for him to turn himself in as if the police were to ask me where my bike was when i was away it would still lead to him.

The police have charged him with *Fail to remain*, *something else*, *no ownership-title* and No Insurance. He already had his first appearance on the 30th of October. He sent me a short text asking me for my papers but I said to him that I was not giving them to him unless I was given my money for the bike.

I dont really know what to do at this point, I have yet to see and Money from him for my bike and he is trying to avoid me, (*at this point he is obviously not a friend*)(So I could care less.) I have not spoken to the cops yet about the situation and im sure if i do they would want me to press charges as im sure they spent a decent amount of time looking for him in the bushes,.

What are my options here? I just want my money! its about 10500 as the bike had very low Km. It is sad and makes me so angry as i write this....

RIP 2011 Black Yamaha R1

Attachments

See less See more
#83 ·
i dont trust anybody to even move my bike on a spot, never mind leaving it
in their garage... lol... maybe thats just me... but if they dont handle motorcycles
ever.. why would i trust them with mine!? it aint about how good a friend they are..

my baby, she gets the storage... period.

#84 ·
i dont trust anybody to even move my bike on a spot, never mind leaving it
in their garage... lol... maybe thats just me... but if they dont handle motorcycles
ever.. why would i trust them with mine!? it aint about how good a friend they are..

my baby, she gets the storage... period.
That's sad dude. Most of my mates ride bikes, so I don't have a problem with them moving, swapping or sitting on any of my bikes.....old story, they break it, they buy it.........

#85 ·
what's so sad about that.. i can take care of my own toys... thanks..

#88 · (Edited)
thats what i was thinking... to be honest.. i only know one friend i would actually trust with my bike but he's a rider himself.. you know what he'd say? get a storage locker!! hahahah... :finger

A lot less drama that way! That's the way I prefer it!
yup... one little parking lot spill and you're looking at 800 bucks easy... no thanks.. an old buddy of mine
trusted his bro to move his bike back off the storage unit... 650 bucks later... he felt bad for even asking,
and in the end he just fixed it all himself... if you cant afford a bike, you probably dont have the kind of dough
it takes to maintain one in the 1st place..

#92 ·
I would have let it stay at my friends house too....why not its your boy and you are supposed to trust him. I would deff take him to court. You wreck it = you bought it. He is not a friend if he is ignoring you and will not pay for the bike

#94 ·
wow. yea you honestly never know who your friends are. This kid I have known forever dropped his dirtbike onto my FJ fender and i could have gotten it repaired somewhere for 500 but did paintless and dealt with a little scratch to try and save HIM money and I still never got anything. I told him next time I see him i'm taking whatever he has on him... people suck. I am trusted with others bikes on a regular basis... my buddy even let me pick his 09 R6 from the dealership and told me to ride it around and check it out. I just have morals and people know it so they know that A, im not going to **** it up or B, if i do i pay for it.

#96 ·
Sorry its taken me sometime

Sorry for taking so long guys.

Thanks for all the support :).

Today that im writing this I have yet to see a dime from this FCUKING monkey. I have a few choices that im left with. 1, I can go into the Police station and press criminal charges on the kid (don't really want to go that route tho, I have morals.) 2, I cant take him to small claims court (SUE him) I feel like this is never ending with this guy., he just keeps saying I have no cash, Im not working - bla bla bla.

The reason I don't want to go to the copshop is because he'll probably get jail - license suspension and all. Before you judge and say you should, hear me out.... I wish no jail to anyone and I carry strong morals I would never wish jail time on someone i know regardless of the situation.

This is just not me.... Still I would like my cash, funny thing is, that even tho I threatened him with pressing charged all he said for himself is that still wouldnt change the outcome as I have no cash now and wont have cash then.

He did try to feed me some shitttttttt about how when he has cash Ill be the first he calls, bla bla bla...

#98 ·
Sorry for taking so long guys.

Thanks for all the support :).

Today that im writing this I have yet to see a dime from this FCUKING monkey. I have a few choices that im left with. 1, I can go into the Police station and press criminal charges on the kid (don't really want to go that route tho, I have morals.) 2, I cant take him to small claims court (SUE him) I feel like this is never ending with this guy., he just keeps saying I have no cash, Im not working - bla bla bla.

The reason I don't want to go to the copshop is because he'll probably get jail - license suspension and all. Before you judge and say you should, hear me out.... I wish no jail to anyone and I carry strong morals I would never wish jail time on someone i know regardless of the situation.

This is just not me.... Still I would like my cash, funny thing is, that even tho I threatened him with pressing charged all he said for himself is that still wouldnt change the outcome as I have no cash now and wont have cash then.

He did try to feed me some shitttttttt about how when he has cash Ill be the first he calls, bla bla bla...

Sounds like now would be the perfect time to put his ass in bro.. jail just do it. Go down to the police station and do what needs to be done

#99 ·
What will it solve bro>? It wont change the fact that he has no cash and this out only make things worst on getting cash,.... As much as i dont want to do it, I thought about it.

#103 ·
he wouldnt have the money in jail either and even if you pressed charges you would have to say that he stole the bike and completely lie just to ruin his life and in the end the bike is still wrecked.

you learned your lesson and i agree with what others have said; its just time to shut up and start turning wrenches.

#104 · (Edited)
re-read the first post. The guy DID steal the bike. He was specifically told he couldn't ride it.

OP, nothing immoral about following thru on pressing the charges. You want this guy to do it to somebody else? ....although I doubt you're the first person he's screwed. Think for yourself what "when I get some cash, you'll be the FIRST one I call" means. How many people does this jackass owe money to? Press the charges and don't look back, that guy is a piece of shit and he's gonna keep being a piece of shit unless somebody calls his bluff.

#106 ·
As been said send the **nt to jail. Your moral he isn't.
When he decided to take out YOUR property when you SPECIFICLY told him not too, KNOWING full well that IF something happened he had no way of reimbursement, he basically thought 'fvck him'.

He's not working, living at his parents, going now where in life, sponging of others and screwing others over he can't be arsed to work for himself.
He CAN'T pay you back, why?
He had no money?
Why? Get a fvckin job piece of sh*t and pay back your friend!

I have 3 friends I would trust with my bike keys for any period unsupervised. I am so close to these guys that it would be worth the price of the bike to find out that they weren't who I think they are. But they would still face some consequences.
I was trying to sell my previous bike when the the rsvr came up at a good price. I didn't even ask and he lent me £3k to get it, didn't manage to sell it for a month, he never asked for it once. He needed it back to travelling the next month, I knew this, I sold my other bike for 800under its value to get it gone, cash went from buyers hand to an envelope with his name on it, took it to him directly. I'd do the same for him at drop of a hat. That is a REAL friend, and they do exist. Sometimes finding out to the contrary is costly, but he's in the wrong, not you. Send him to jail. It's beyond getting cash back now its principle, one way or another, financially or otherwise he has to pay for his decisions to screw you.
To put things in perspective, if I left my bike with a friend on the grounds they wouldn't ride it, and they did id flatten them even if they hadn't crashed it, and we would no longer be friends. Simple trust is black or white, no exceptions.
Good luck!

#107 ·
Force his hand, his parents will likely cave when their son is looking at spending some time in the graybar motel and front the money. Then, it's between them on how to settle it out, and more likely than not their kid is a POS as a product of their efforts (or lack of), so don't feel bad about any of it.

#111 ·
:stpd: I would go to a local dealer and get a written quote for a brandnew 2011 model. Tell him and his parents, if bike is not paid for fully within a certain timeframe (a week at most) you will press charges against him for "grand theft auto" . Not sure of all the legalities of this, like Kmac said it will force them to either payup,or their POS son goes to jail, end of story.

#110 · (Edited)
press charges & sue his arse! what's morals got to do with it@!/?

seriously kid.. you got taken for a ride... and now you're out a bike and no $ to repair!
never mind loss of value...

get off your butt and take care of business...

your bike is totaled! plain and simple!!

and this happened what 5 months ago!?? the longer you wait around
with your morals, the harder it will be to prove it even happened... i'm Honestly amazed you still havent done anything about it.
that is exactly what your so called buddy is counting on!

life is tough... friend or not, he made shitty choices, and even left the bike on the side of the road..
obviously he does not deserve your pitty..

#114 · (Edited)
sadly you're right... i'm glad i'm not trusting enough to just let someone destroy my $10k toy...

It's a lot easier to get paid back via court ordered restitution then a civil suit. Honestly he's not going to spend much time if at all in prison/jail. He'll get 2.5 yrs of supervision and probation agent. He will have to pay the court ordered restitution to finish his probation.
amazingly enough, its a lot harder to convince OP of this than you would think... dancing in circles hoping buddy will come to his senses
does not get it done, on either side of the border.. apparently for some folks, research really is a dirty word...

#113 ·
It's a lot easier to get paid back via court ordered restitution then a civil suit. Honestly he's not going to spend much time if at all in prison/jail. He'll get 2.5 yrs of supervision and probation agent. He will have to pay the court ordered restitution to finish his probation.

As others have said I highly recommend going this route. I didn't look back to see what state your in but your states statutes of limitations may only allow a small window of time when he can be charged with this crime so the sooner you make up your mind the better for you. It's your money though but it is kind of frustrating to hear that you're planning on letting him walk. Good luck to you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.