Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

When is Yamaha going to give us a new R1/R6 ?

3K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Kangaroo 
#1 ·
It's been 5 years now for the R1 and 6 years now for the R6 since a re-design.
When is Yamaha going to give us some fresh meat?

I've got a 2011 Suzuki Gsx-r750 that blows away the R1 in handling and it's pretty dam close in power to the newest generation R1.

The 2013 Kawasaki zx6r looks like tits in it's class. We shall see.

What's Yamaha waiting for?

#3 ·
Five years since the last remake of the R1? :dunno

#12 ·
No. I said "dam close" as fast. I am not talking about Squids twisting the throttle between stoplights and seeing which one pulls harder. Out to the real world-

In the real world my 2011 GSXR750 lap times are faster on the track. This applies to Laguna Seca and Infineon too. The Suzuki handling is far better. This applies to liter bikes too. I sold my R1. The R1 gets out gunned in just about every liter bike category. The new gixxer is faster for me at least.

So, don't want to bash Yamaha....but it's time for them to join weight watchers and sharpen everything up here. There's a problem with the torque.

REDESIGN PLEASE.

#17 ·
Here's my 2004 R1:

Its a better bike than the 2009 generation in my humble soft spoken opinion.

As you can see I dropped a lot on it to make it perform very well.
It can run kinda close to the current crop of liter bikes out.
I don't know why- but the current gen R1 didn't even feel like it was a liter bike. Yamaha is adding complex ( and Heavy) stuff to their R1 when they should be concentrating on how to make it lighter and dance quicker side to side. It's a move out on a tangent and I hope they come back to the center for 2014.

Attachments

#27 ·
Here's my 2004 R1:

Its a better bike than the 2009 generation in my humble soft spoken opinion.
based on what criteria exactly? i thought you said it was subjective.. at least we agree on that... :lol

#20 ·
im not saying the r1 is the best thing ever....but for those of us who enjoy it and own one....we like it. if Suzuki floats your boat, good luck.im sure every liter bike will be pushing 180 hp stock and weight feather weight soon. im sure yamaha will progress as always....market hype is also what you read in magazines shootouts!

#25 · (Edited)
Hey now.

The first OP that doesn't drink the Koolaid or has something somewhat negative to say gets to be a troll?....motorcycles are highly subjective. If you can't handle it then ban my ass from the forum.

I never said the R1 isn't good. All I am saying is Yamaha needs a revamp.
The mods were the usual plus Ohlins Carts. & Shock, Graves system, velocity stacks PC3r, dyno tuned Pirelli SC dot race. That's what it needed.
Maybe not much $ for rich boys that are sponsored...but a lot for me.

All I can say when stock Suzuki 750 can run Group A pace with street tires and be almost as fast as my decked out R1 then somethings got to give. Imagine what the gixxer is going to do when I drop $4k on it and put race rubber...it's fast I tell you.

Bikes have evolved. Yamaha needs to evolve a bit too. R1 is a great bike.

#31 ·
All I can say when stock Suzuki 750 can run Group A pace with street tires and be almost as fast as my decked out R1 then somethings got to give. Imagine what the gixxer is going to do when I drop $4k on it and put race rubber...it's fast I tell you.
What track? A tight track will have 1000s, 750s and 600s dancing around one another in every turn, depending on rider skill.

I don't know your skill level, but on a fast track, you shouldn't have any issues outpacing 750s.

Also, since you mentioned it, what you did to your R1, or any motorcycle for that matter, isn't necessarily decked out or lightened to any significant degree.

And yes, I would love to see a new R1 from Yamaha.

#29 ·
No problem. I understand.

Bikes are all about personality. I rode the new 2011 ZX10 and really hated it.
That bike ran wide all the time and I couldn't adjust it out.
My buddy is faster than me on it and he loves it like a son.

Anyhow, the point was Yamaha needs an update. It's a somewhat portly feeling bike. The only mag I read is Road Racing World. Opinions are like assholes I say.

#32 ·
This is all very true...which is why my preference is not fast tracks that favor shear hp. I prefer tracks that have more of a mixture.

Hey Minacious & Bacchus40,

I'll be driving down 101 to the 10 over to Chuckwalla...passing you in the evening on Dec 2nd. I've got one spot left in my Cummins Diesel rig for your bike. You can go if you want.

#39 · (Edited)
Yamaha said a 675 and 1100 triple in 2014, at Intermot. Going to have to put up with a wobbler and a 7 year old R6 for another year. The triples will still have a balance shaft and excessive electronics...so not a huge weight saving...and probably not a huge power gain. :(

The 06 will continue to have the best power to weight ratio in standard trim, of all the R1's. :flex:

#42 · (Edited)
Actually there is truth to this.

Fast liter bikes require a tremendous amount of skill to use the power compared to say my new 750. That's why the Daytona, the 750, and the 848 are simply brilliant. I feel that most riders in the low A or high B level ( which is the majority) can benefit from the better handling/lower power bike. The increased corner speed outweighs the raw horsepower in the straits.

Given to a Pro or extremely talented rider then of course they can use it and set the track records you speak of.... But that is only a small segment of track riders. 99% of the buyers are mere mortals here. Connecting high hp to the tarmac is difficult even for the "big boys".

That is why the R1 even with the lower liter bike power has the potential to be outstanding. The R1 has a very good connected feel. If Yamaha can make that bike handle better than say my 2011 Repsol 1000 and knock 50 lbs. off...then it would dominate.

As I stated before-
Jenny Craig diet. Lower mass and better centralization. Faster flick rate.
That would be a winner. Instead Yamaha chose to give it TC. I wish they would have focused on these other things. Hell even my loved 04' R1 is lighter. In 2007 Yamaha lost their edge. Its time they get it back now.

Edit: I think my 11' 750 is fugly looking too! Suzuki doesn't give a crap because they are all about function not aesthetics. They built a bike that is low, short , very light, and very flickable. Buy whatever you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.