First Ride! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Objects in mirror are losing

First Ride!

Been a while since I posted.
Wife bought me my new R1 while I was in Afghanistan. Just got home a few days ago and took her out for the first ride.
I've been riding for over 25yrs and this machine is by far my favorite! It did not disappoint!
Love the balance, the position and the handling but its hands down the fastest thing I've ever driven and definitly NOT for begginers or the faint of heart. I can see how a new rider would last less than his first tank of gas.
Rolled the throttle gently about 1/8 of an inch and WOW it was like being shot out of a gun! 30mph in about 0.5sec and 15ft and that was me trying to take it easy!
Didnt get to ride her long (Im in Utah and its cold as hell especially compared to souther afghanistan) but I took what I could get. About an hour into it it started to snow so I had to put her back in the garage.
Now all I can think about is getting her back out!
This is my first liter sport bike so I want to say thanks again to everyone who gave me their advice.
Hope to meet up with more riders when things warm up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Ride it like you stole it!

First of all, welcome back from your trip. Glad you made it home safe. I did 2 tours overseas and got out of the military in February.

What year R1 did you get? What color....? Fill us in. Ride smart and have fun on a great machine!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Never be afraid to slow down!

Congrats on the bike!!!! But glad you're home safe and thank you so much for serving!!!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Herro!

Thanks for serving, glad you made it back safely.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Take the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalcon45 View Post
Wife bought me my new R1 while I was in Afghanistan.
You got a good one there, jealous. My Ex would have sold my bike and bought purses with it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
ROWDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalcon45 View Post
Wife bought me my new R1 while I was in Afghanistan. Just got home a few days ago and took her out for the first ride.
I've been riding for over 25yrs and this machine is by far my favorite! It did not disappoint!
Love the balance, the position and the handling but its hands down the fastest thing I've ever driven and definitly NOT for begginers or the faint of heart. I can see how a new rider would last less than his first tank of gas.
Rolled the throttle gently about 1/8 of an inch and WOW it was like being shot out of a gun! 30mph in about 0.5sec and 15ft and that was me trying to take it easy!
Didnt get to ride her long (Im in Utah and its cold as hell especially compared to souther afghanistan) but I took what I could get. About an hour into it it started to snow so I had to put her back in the garage.
Now all I can think about is getting her back out!
This is my first liter sport bike so I want to say thanks again to everyone who gave me their advice.
Hope to meet up with more riders when things warm up!
Congratulations! Well deserved! Next best sensation to SEX! POWER!

ROWDY
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I eat my R1

Thanks for your service and congrats on the new bike. My R1 was the first bike i have ever purchased or really ridden and I'm going 6500 miles strong in less than 3 months. No doubt bike is a lot to handle!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
LIVE EVERY MOMENT!

Welcome home and congrats on the new beast!..enjoy it and treat her good....ya the wife too! hahahah Thanks for your service...now go ride again!!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
My R1 eats me.

Thank you for your service. I just picked up my first r1 few weeks ago and it's been amazing. You are going to love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
fast toys arent just 4 boys

1st ~ Thank you!
2nd ~ Welcome home!
3rd ~ You have a great wife!
4th ~ Pictures of your bike when you can!

"The reason I do it is because if you do it wrong, it will kill you. If you think it's too dangerous then go home and cut your lawn and leave us to it"

~ Guy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
It's my fault.

Miss you Pierre
Much love Andre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode