Has anyone had a new key made? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Ride it like you stole it!

Has anyone had a new key made?

The bike I bought came with 3 keys. It has the red key and 2 black keys. For some reason, one of the black keys grew legs and walked away. Has anyone on here had a new key made? How much did it cost and how big of a pain was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM
R1 Forum Star

about $2.50 at the local locksmith shop.

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/50-r1-012-%60phantom-squadron%60/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

The key has a chip inside that works with the computer and the bike won't start without it. I just got off the phone with the dealer and he says 80 Euro for a new key with the chip inside. He also said that I can 'de-code' the key that is missing so that nobody can start the bike if it turns out the key was stolen and the person wants to come back later for the bike. I asked if I can just buy a used key on ebay and re-code it with the red one. He said he wasn't sure and it was worth a shot.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmo View Post
The key has a chip inside that works with the computer and the bike won't start without it. I just got off the phone with the dealer and he says 80 Euro for a new key with the chip inside. He also said that I can 'de-code' the key that is missing so that nobody can start the bike if it turns out the key was stolen and the person wants to come back later for the bike. I asked if I can just buy a used key on ebay and re-code it with the red one. He said he wasn't sure and it was worth a shot.
just saw you were in Germany. Sorry, US bikes don't have the immobilizer

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmo View Post
The price sounds about right. I was quoted through a dealer 70 - Only if you have the RED key or else a full ECU change over
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

I have the red key. I don't feel like shelling out 80 Euro's to have another key. I have 1 key and that is enough for now. I can get another Yamaha key for 30 or 40 bucks with the chip inside and just reprogram it on the bike. I think that is the way I am going to to. We will see.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

We get the coded keys too and stealerships here are even worst. I have an eBay contact in Ape Town that does any key and including coding for a lot cheaper, plus they work, so if you get an eBay seller that can do coding too you'll be good.

Sent from
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
kickin' at the darkness

yeah its a bit of a pain with the chip, but its worth it for peace of mind i think...

i bought a US model, and though i have yet to loose any car keys, ever... for some reason
one of my R1 keys grew legs and walked away as well... weirdest thing... lucky i already
purchased one of 'em RED yamaha keys sold by a forum sponsor, and i'll just have to remember
to take it to the local mall before spring...

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Here's the next question. Does anyone know if any uncut Yamaha key will work? If I get the key cut and use the red one to "re-program" it in the ignition, will that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode