What it's like to ride my 06... - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
90% INDESTRUCTABLE

What it's like to ride my 06...

I just sent my story to Super Streetbike Magazine, after they contacted me to do a feature on my bike. (Thanks Chris )

I thought you guys would enjoy my ride description...hopefully they print it like that.

"Just wheeling it around you can tell it’s special…there’s no resistance to movement, in any direction. no fuel sloshing from the tank. It’s tall in the seat and the bars are low and very wide, it’s a firm ride. Turning the ignition on, the TL dash lights up blue and the tacho bars sweep across…very Moto GP like. It starts absolutely instantly on the 14 cell Shorai and settles to a loud and lumpy 1700 rpm idle. The clutch takes up on the last inch of the CRG lever and it picks up and flies off instantly. It’s incredible to ride, it accelerates brakes and turns in an instant. The revs rise so fast, I can barely keep up with the gearchanges. I have to plan ahead! The TL quickshifter is instant and completely smooth, there is no noticeable pause, it doesn’t unsettle the suspension at all. The front lifts if I am even slightly too aggressive with the 1/6th turn throttle. In fact the front lifts if I’m too aggressive changing direction. The feel and feedback through the front and rear Ohlins is immense…I can tell every detail about the surface I’m on. The wheel can be made to spin in fourth gear, coming onto Phillip Islands main straight. It’s so light it dances around on the surface under hard acceleration, and changes direction as easily at 200 as it does at 60kmh. The STM slipper is as smooth as butter, the rear gently sways under fast multiple downchanges. The carbon brakes have a ferocious amount of power, and only need a light finger. They add unbelievable lightness to the steering, it’s like a bicycle to turn in! It took a few rides to learn not to turn in too early! Mid turn it’s planted and leans far enough for knee, calf and toe to be skimming the surface. It’s a bit twitchy exiting corners and likes to be on the fat of the rear Supercorsa, before ripping through the gears again….It’s really a fingertips and toes ride, all the inputs need to be light and precise. It responds instantly and accurately to every movement. It’s like dancing with unstable explosives.

I love what I’ve built, and I’ll never sell it, or build another one… It’s beautiful, trick, fast, unique, it’s what I’ve always wanted in a bike. And I’m as happy working on it and admiring it’s details, as I am riding it."

FASTER AND FASTER 'TILL THE THRILL OF SPEED OVERCOMES THE FEAR OF DEATH

-HUNTER S. THOMPSON .................................................. ............................................sig by PETROL_SPICE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM
kickin' at the darkness

dude, thats awesome!! i'm really glad to read this as i begin to gear up for my return to the road! you're describing exactly my type of bike...
i know exactly what you mean about everything being a calculated motion, a finertips and toes ride!

thank you for sharing! thats the beauty of Yamaha R1 owners... they can describe exactly how and why everything happens on a sportbike...
seldom do i find others who can actually talk the talk, and walk the walk!! congrats!!

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Sir Douglas

Send a message via AIM to DouglasyzfR1
Congrats that's awesome!

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Venom X/O

Sweet! It's a shame it looks like a tin can now

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:17 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Sweet! It's a shame it looks like a tin can now
i was trying to play it cool, way to give the guy a break eh?.. ooopps.. too late!~

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 PM
MummyMan

Very nice write up
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
90% INDESTRUCTABLE

Hahaha...cheers lads...Yes, I was remembering beyond wadding it! The mag's not interested in doing a feature on a pile of dismantled parts...surprisingly! :

-HUNTER S. THOMPSON .................................................. ............................................sig by PETROL_SPICE
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Seņor Citizen

It's not a tarts handbag. How did you get it in a mag?

Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARBONAR1 View Post
Hahaha...cheers lads...Yes, I was remembering beyond wadding it! The mag's not interested in doing a feature on a pile of dismantled parts...surprisingly!
thats almost shocking actually... did you include a picture of your hand for printing as well!???

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
90% INDESTRUCTABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol_Spice View Post
It's not a tarts handbag. How did you get it in a mag?

They've moved up a shelf ever since they featured Chris's black beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
thats almost shocking actually... did you include a picture of your hand for printing as well!???

post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 AM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARBONAR1 View Post
They've moved up a shelf ever since they featured Chris's black beast.
agreed.!

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Seņor Citizen

Booooo it doesn't have a Titanium kickstand. Booooooo

Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 AM
kickin' at the darkness

heck, not even a CF kickstand.!!

too soon!?

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Seņor Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
heck, not even a CF kickstand.!!

too soon!?

It's never too soon to take the piss.

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 AM
WOG

I was contemplating subing to them after Chris' bike, then came Jovan's. If you get featured Ben it's a no brainer.

Sig courtesy of my brotha from down unda PetrolSpice
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Ride it like you stole it!

Very nice bike. That's just about what I picture my bike looking like when it's all done. Very nice write up as well.
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Venom X/O

Ben should send in a full body X-ray. I bet the parts holding his bones together cost more than the bike mods

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 AM
Seņor Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Ben should send in a full body X-ray. I bet the parts holding his bones together cost more than the bike mods
Spitballs and chicken wire are pretty cheap.

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol_Spice View Post
Spitballs and chicken wire are pretty cheap.
This is Ben were talking about. He payed extra for all the Ti and CF he could get.

I found an upper 3D X-ray

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 AM
Seņor Citizen

Here's his wrist x-ray...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode