Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Replacement Clutch: OEM or EBC

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jonrone 
#1 ·
Anyone have recommendations on clutch replacement? Bike in question is a 2008 R1

I went and put a sportbike unlimited tune on my bike and here I am 4 months later with my clutch slipping outrageously even at 50% throttle above 8k RPMS.

I've seen in a couple places to go stock as the EBC doesn't quite cut the bacon...any input or recommendations?

I've never had to do a clutch on any of my bikes, most one has ever needed was new springs.

I low sided the bike last month and two days after getting her back on the road she starts slipping a little bit and come day 3 and 4 it's become really bad. Tried a clutch adjustment and it just doesn't seem to help.:crying:
miss Shambles

See less See more
#9 ·
I've used all brands and clutch fibers and steel plates. OEM are by the far the best. I smoked Barnett carbon fiber clutch fibers in one pass as the drag strip (after 40 easy street break in miles). EBC Kevlar whatever OEM's are the best.
Get stronger springs, you can use a red scotch bright pad to clean up blue'd steels as long as they are not warped, New fibers if they are bad. Typically the inner most fibers take the most abuse and the outer ones may not need to be replaced.

Make sure you're clutch is adjusted correctly, not just at the lever. Also make sure your not low on oil.
Synthetic oil will make your clutch slip easier.

I was spraying a 40 hp shot of N2O on my bike. Stock clutch was slipping, I replaced 3 of the clutch springs with heavier ones (using the same clutch pack it stopped slipping under full power.

R1 clutches are easy to replace and you don't always need to change the clutch cover gasket. Depending on condition of said gasket when the cover is removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.