Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Does new electronics package make R1 possible for newbies.

5K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  DarkHorse 
#1 ·
I tried searching r1 for beginners and got posts till 2004 to 2012.so looking for some fresh review on 2015 R1 , if electronics can make diff on dummies.

Just got my MC license in states . Looking to buy R1 2015 as first Bike.

Let me give intro about myself.

I Used to ride for almost 10 Years till 2005, on (FZ16/ninja 250cc) bikes among cows/ buffalos / dogs / cats / a*holes and Vehicles on Road and pavements.

I am 5”6 /170 lb and If wear inch shoe I can touch my both feets on ground on in R1 2015. so won't be able to touch ground in emergency lending or sharp turn in street.

when I sat down on r1 it felt heavy and bulky.

Mostly I will driving around in streets not on Highway for first few months , so won’t be able to go beyond 3rd gear.

My biggest concern is cornering and slid on high side or low side.

Do you guys think TC and whole electronics package with right settings on 2015 R1 can make difference for Newbie.

See less See more
#4 ·
When I first bought my R1M. My first impression out of the box was that it was freakin rider friendly as hell. Esp if you're well disciplined with your throttle control.

I almost felt like even my wife would of been able to handle the R1 LOL.

Now...after the reflash...No. Hahaha.

#5 ·
An R6 would be more than enough, a new R1 is way too much bike IMO, especially for someone that hasn't ridden in 10 yrs. ( and new to US roads with US drivers !) Get something you can actually learn on and improve your skills, and I think a new R6 is due next year.

#7 ·
sorry, but your background nowhere near equates to suddenly extracting required abilities to ride a 200bhp motorcycle... no the electronics wont do shit for yah :nono:

Reactions: BigAlD and jony
#9 ·
dude the this new R1 feels like a 600. I had a R6 and this thing isn't any heavier and it handles pretty much like one. you're comparing it to your old 250 ninja. yeah it's much heavier.

I don't think you're ready for this kind of bike however. if that's the only bikes you've had before. not trying to be a prick just honest. if you really want a sportbike and you've honestly rode a few years on those 2 bikes move up to a 600. they're plenty fast enough to thrill the shit out of you.

#42 ·
to be perfectly honest this is the one factor that makes me want one badly... i've got an 09 porker which is great for longer trips on the
open road, got some heft to hold the line on 'em windy back-roads but for thrashing around on the weekends and short trips up north... uhmm

yeah the new R1 is easily the lightest of the lot considering what you can remove to make it even more so!! great package :yesnod

#12 ·
the first thing the salesman where I bought my 2015 said to me was have you ever ridden a bike before. I was pretty impressed he asked me that. he knew this bike isn't for a newbie. and he's right. it's even a giant handful for someone like me coming from a R6. it reaches the same speeds in 1/2 the distance which is awesome but in the wrong hands is deadly.

#15 ·
R1 Gurus,

Thanks for all your comments/ Reviews and experience. It sounds like I should graduate on R6 and then go to R1. worst part is no one gives test rides on R1 . but anyway let me go to showroom and get a feel of R6. probably I will wait for New R6 to release by end of this Year.

One more question. - I see a lots of cracks and bumps on Roads , does New R1 / R6 is capable of bearing all these without losing Grip.

again thanks a Lot for all your support. Hopefully to become one like you.

#17 ·
@jony the R6 is more than enough for the street or TRACK. I had a 2008 r6 and would leave plenty of r1's in the dust on the street and TRACK. To me it doesn't sound like you will need to worry about the choppy parts of the street TOO much. Just remember that you need to pay attention 100% of the time when on the bike. Have fun but NEVER let your guard down, EXPECT THE WORSE. So you can ride another day.

#18 ·
I haven't read through all the responses but the electronics are simply there as rider aid's, not as a rider safety net; that's what commonsense & good judgement is for. Will it help keep you from 12 O'clocking the bike while showing off at the light... most likely yes. Will they allow you to pin the thing everywhere without repercussion...absolutely not.

With that said, why not go for something a little more mild mannered, I'd recommend checking out a cbr600rr, probably one of the better packaged supersports. Just enough for aggressive riding, but not awful on the street. I would recommend the R6 but it's seat is higher than the R1 so if you though you were on your toes before... plus it's so track oriented that the riding position may get to you after awhile.

Just my 2cents

#49 ·
I haven't read through all the responses but the electronics are simply there as rider aid's, not as a rider safety net; that's what commonsense & good judgement is for. Will it help keep you from 12 O'clocking the bike while showing off at the light... most likely yes. Will they allow you to pin the thing everywhere without repercussion...absolutely not.

With that said, why not go for something a little more mild mannered, I'd recommend checking out a cbr600rr, probably one of the better packaged supersports. Just enough for aggressive riding, but not awful on the street. I would recommend the R6 but it's seat is higher than the R1 so if you though you were on your toes before... plus it's so track oriented that the riding position may get to you after awhile.

Just my 2cents
You nailed it on the head in my opinion. :fact:yesnod

#20 ·
I went from cruisers to sportbikes and from an R6 to the R1. At first I thought I was quicker on the R6, now I know that's not the case. You have to remember the difference between a 600 and 1000 is the 1000 gets you up to speed A LOT quicker. You'll be coming into turns and coming up to stops a lot quicker than you will on a 600. I find myself having to shut down the bike a lot faster than I did with my 600.

Buy what you want, but be honest with yourself about your ability. It sounds like you're a little intimidated of the R1, which is ok, but if you're scared to ride it maybe you should think of a 600. Just treat whatever bike you get with respect and you should do fine.

#22 ·
This doesn't necessarily mean you're quicker on the R1 it just means you can go faster in a straight line... but anyway, get what you want just be prepared to ride the bike according to your skill level and the conditions.

You're the one in control of your right wrist.

#27 ·
Here I am researching a new 2015 r1... I had a couple r1's and now have a street triple. I love the bike, but miss the liter power..

Seems there are a lot of newbs giving newbs advice. Blind leading the blind. Im not saying that all guys here are squids but some of you show it in the advice you provide. Im not saying im super great at riding either.

After riding sportbikes for over a decade. Crashing triple digit speeds on track, couple lowsides on streets, hitting deer, brake malfunction and highside, breaking bones, skin rash at the track with full leathers. Its the risk you take riding. Even if you try to be safe as possible.

I am a squid myself in some aspects. I topped out every single bike I owned, on desolate roads.
Some will buy a bike and find out its not for them, after 6 months. For some like myself, it will be large part of life and consume a large part of you.

Just know its a risk. Dont matter how big a bike it is. Heck I almost hit a deer again last weekend in the canyons. Luckly it decided to hop the other direction. OP get what you like but accept the risks. Just about every single person I know who really rides, crashed in some form, and lost a couple friends from it.. These are good riders but shit happens. No electronics can stop crashes.

#28 ·
No. No amount of electronic will turn a 1000cc sport bike into something a new rider should learn on.
Unless you can make the bike 200lbs lighter, have about 60hp and throttle response of a turtle, its not a beginner bike.

In your case, you have a significant amount of experience and I'm sure you would do just fine on a 15 R1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.