Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Crashed :( - Now I have 2 bikes :)

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Doppler 
#1 ·
About 2 weeks ago I low sided my ever faithful 07 R1 on the road. Lost the front at a moderate pace on a corner I've blasted through literally hundreds of times before at higher speeds. Turns out there had been a previous crash and oil and coolant was cleaned from the road but the surface still had low traction. Such is the joys of riding on the roads.

Bike slid off the side of the corner and backward down a slope into the shrubbery of the roadside, me following it down. Fortunately bike and I missed the trees. Wearing full gear so uninjured which was also a bonus.

A couple of days later bike was assessed by insurance and written off. Where I live that means it pretty much cant be registered again. I got a modest payout which to be honest exceeded the true value of the bike.

I purchased the wreck back at a favorable price and will make it a track bike, wont need much work. :icon_biggrin:

Of course I then had to get some new wheels for the road! I wanted something current but unfortunately I couldn't quite afford new at the moment. Then I found a 2015 ZX10R with 350km on it for a steal. I always liked Kwakas and it was over $10000 less than RRP of an S1000RR so I bought it and looking forward to getting to know it as well as I know my R1. After so many km on my R1 that'll take some time! If it turns out to be half as reliable as my 07 R1 I'll be wrapped.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks mate, appreciate it.

I'm going to leave it fairly stock for a bit whist I do the research but I think the Euro spec that we have here in Australia is less restricted than the US version so hopefully it wont need too much. Quickshifter for sure, maybe just a slip on if the ECU isn't too restricted. Double bubble screen and eliminator are a given.

#5 ·
Yep. Small nick not much bigger than a rice grain and very minor depression in frame above the clutch case from the point of the fairing.

Plenty of other damage that adds up fast like subframe twisted and broken, fork tube damaged etc. In NSW even economic write offs can no longer be registered again without jumping through massive hoops. I have heaps of spares so will be an easy fix for the track

Attachments

#11 ·
I'm starting to look into all of that. Like the R1 there is a big difference between the Euro spec here and the US version. 25 is a massive gain!
I was speaking about the 2015. It has traction control, power modes, and abs optional if I recall. That is the closest to the 2015 r1 in terms of electronic rider aids. 2015 Gsxr-1000 and cbr1000rr have none of that. I was going to buy a 2015 zx10r if I couldn't find an r1 for a decent price. Good choice brother!
Copy. Yep, power and traction modes and ABS. I'll be adding a quickshifter for sure. Not decided about exhaust and tuning options yet.

#10 ·
I was speaking about the 2015. It has traction control, power modes, and abs optional if I recall. That is the closest to the 2015 r1 in terms of electronic rider aids. 2015 Gsxr-1000 and cbr1000rr have none of that. I was going to buy a 2015 zx10r if I couldn't find an r1 for a decent price. Good choice brother!

#19 ·
Thanks mate. Overall I'm pretty happy; I'm not busted up, I have a respectable track bike for my purposes (no racing, just a social track day every few months or so) and a sweet new road ride. :thumbup
glad you are ok. nice zx10. i like those. if you dont mind me asking, how much do you pay for full coverage insurance?
No problem. I'm in Australia not the US, my comprehensive insurance is just under $1100 per year.

Just got back from Phillip Island. 2800km later my ZX10 does not look new anymore, obliterated by bugs, lol.

#23 ·
12 of us rented a house. We usually get one at Smiths Beach walking distance to the track but it wasn't available this year so we got one in Cowes. I thought it was a way smaller crowd this year. I was disturbed to see Target as the centre piece of the expo to say the least. :whtfu:

Pics or it didn't happen :fact
lol
That is forum rules! I don't have many to be honest. Below is one of some of the bikes from my group taken on the way down.

Man that's gotta suck. How is the x10 comparing to the R1?.

Also i'll raise you a destroyed Busa =P
Sorry to see that dude, I remember from previous posts how much you liked that bike. Hope you weren't hurt.

I really like it. The riding position is a little more cramped in the legs which is fatiguing on long hauls but it's more than made up for by the extra power, electronics etc. Power delivery is somewhat similar to my R1 but more of it. The gearing is way long as is well known for sure. A gearing change should make it much better for real world street use. Fuel delivery is a bit twitchy when it first comes on. I do not like the stock Bridgestone BT016R's at all but the steering feels quite sharp and the bike is quite flickable. Rear spring is too soft for me. I'll be fitting a quickshifter. Stock exhaust is so quiet, I miss the angry screamer noise my 07 with Yoshi TRC 3/4 made! lol

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.