Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Picking up a track bike... suggestions?

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Tattooedup0605 
#1 ·
I know I will catch some flack but I've got the opportunity to pick up an 03 CBR600RR for 2k. Salvage title and broken beat fairings. Needs some items but for the price can't pass it up. I think it's only got 16-20k on the odometer. Would make a perfect canyon/track bike so my beautiful R1 stays clean and rash free. Any thoughts on where I should begin for parts and build ideas from track day vets. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
Nothing wrong with a track bike even if it is a Honda.. :D

I would give it the usual check up. Fluids, brake pads, wheel bearings, head bearings, tires, etc.... Set the suspension and give it a whirl on the track. I would make it a dedicated track bike though so you can start chopping the street stuff off.

#4 ·
Hey man maybe head over to 600rr.net and get some advice.
Have you been riding on the track for a while?
If yes, you’ll know the basics like getting the suspension re-sprung / revalved for your weight, SS brake lines, cheap body work and some protective bits.

I used to ride a 2005 600RR (very similar to the 2003) and it’s a great bike. Very easy to ride and very tame and confidence inspiring.
You will enjoy it on track.

#5 ·
Hey buddy!
I will be doing that as well. I figure the Honda guys will have some good info. Just bounced ideas from all sources

Haven't done track in a very long time but I will be doing the usual. I mostly do canyon stuff. I lived near Palomar mountain in SoCal so that was close and quick.

Nice to hear someone had the bike and it's fun. That's my objective...fun!!

#7 ·
I'll see what I can do to get the price down a bit. I work for a dealership and the owner is a friend. He could sell for more I'm sure but I want something to beat up instead of my R1, although I still beat that up plenty. I'm not too concerned with price. It seems like a decent deal. As long as I'm not gonna triple why I spend on the bike to get it road worthy

#9 ·
I had a few 600rr's. My last one was a 2006. A girl owned it since new and only put 2000 miles on it. I paid $4500 for it back in 2013. They are fun bikes. Very slim feeling bike.

#14 ·
Not saying the the 2009-2014 isn't a great track bike. It is.

That's the ONLY time it feels heavy to me; when it's on the track.

I like it because it keeps me uncomfortable to a certain extent keeping me from pushing harder. I'm there for fun; not bragging rights for the fastest lap times.

All the performance mods I have are for pointing and squirting on the street and some high speed runs here and there. Mainly for acceleration. I like acceleration.

Something small on the track would be great to perfect BP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.