Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

How fast is that R1?

12K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  cyclepsycho7 
#1 ·
I stopped by a friend's house who hadn't seen my R1 before. He asked "How fast will it go, about 200 (MPH)?"!

I wish. When I told him maybe it's in the neighborhood of 170, he looked a little disappointed as if to say, "Is that all?" In his defense, he's a motocross guy, not a street rider, but I still got a kick out of it.

#9 ·
Whaaaaaaat?? Open her up!!

I think people underestimate the top speeds because they don't have long enough roads. I know a road out in the boonies that's semi-deserted, limited access and straight for about 7 miles.

I got my f4i to 150mph clocked by gps there and I've had my R1 up to 170 indicated on the racetrack with loads of power left.

#15 ·
I enjoy opening her up, Tbh its hard to keep it legal sometimes the bike just wants to cruise in the triple digits.
still.. more often than not when the opportunity arises I open her up. Im pretty used to 130, 140. 150 feels quick.
The top Iv gotten so far was 178(indicated). I wanted to keep going but alas the limitations of the road stayed my hand.

The opportunity doesn't arise often and I don't enjoy speeding on public roads. I'm sure the bike will pull at least 180 stock.

#18 ·
Fastest I've been (on land) was on my brother's 929RR. Up a grade, it was still pulling when the speedo hit 172 and I backed out of it. Don't know what my actual speed was. Haven't had the opportunity for that kind of velocity on my R1 yet.

200 MPH is really rockin'. There's a reason you're in the club at Bonneville if you hit it.

#21 ·
I think that's one of the must exciting things about having any liter sport bike. You can hit 130 within seconds. I do 130 every time I ride the bike but do it where I don't put anyone in danger. When you've live'ed somewhere long enough you know the areas where you can do a 10 second WOT and shut it down just as fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.