Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Cross Plane R1 for taller rider.

10K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  cyclepsycho7 
#1 ·
I did some poking around on the search section and on Google but could only come up with this topic on older models. What I'm after is a 09+ Cross plane engine R1. I'm 6' 4" 270lbs and am looking for a R1 Based on two things, the speed, and the awesome cross plane sound. I'm not new to bikes but I am new to the R1. I recently sat on a 2016 R1 at our local dealer and I felt as if i was on a pocket rocket. My knees came up past the gas tank and I just felt as if I was sitting on top of the tank. My buddy who was with me has a 2016 CBR1100RR and I fit perfect on it. I've seen some people say the 09-11 model R1s are a better fit but I can't find any info to confirm. Cycle Ergo also doesn't have a 2016 CBR to compare against the R1 on their site. I'd like to know which years were the best for a taller person rather than wasting time driving around to used dealers or private sellers and waste their time just to sit on a bike. Any help would be great!

#2 ·
The 09-14 R1 is probably the biggest liter out there so i think you would be fine on it. Its sucks driving around to dealers but thats what i would suggest for sure because on paper it might seem right but you'll never know until you sit on it. If possible i would get a test ride because thats the only way to know if it fits. If you manage to score a test ride with a am piped xplane you'll be sold even if it doesnt fit lol

#5 ·
I'm 6'4" at 275 lbs with a 2011 model R1 and I have spent have different rear sets (fully adjustable) and clip-ons. I'll admit putting the rear seats lower and forward then adjusting the clip-ons to fit my stance on the bike as been perfect-o for me. I have the Sato rear sets and renthal clip-ons with CRG full length leavers. If I can find a good used '16 or '15 I have both the '11 and '16 but, I just now got the '11 the way I like it.

#6 ·
5'11", 225 lbs.. 09 R1 with bar risers, adjustable pegs and fully setup suspension all around, raised 7mm w/ adjustable suspension linkage...

flat out.! this is a beast of a bike & very easy to ride for miles!

#15 · (Edited)
I've had more Kawi's than Yam's, both great bikes. I Also had one Honda but can't really judge how good they are being it was my first learner bike in 1974 (CBT500). It rode fine but was only a side by side twin. My next was a brand new 1977 KZ-1000, Awesome bike!!! Then a 1982 LTD 1000, then a Ninja 1000 and after that a Ninja 600. After that it was all Yamaha with a few Harley cruisers and 1998 Yamaha Roadtstar. Presently only have my beloved 06 R1 which I will never sell and for two up riding my Harley 1986 FXDR touring bike. God I love bikes!!!!!

#12 ·
Thanks guys, according to cycle ergo the 09-11 should be the best fit. I know I could ride a smaller one but I'm using it to replace my F250 to and from work. I live 15 min away on long stretches here in Florida and I'm tired of my Shadow 1100. Its fun but hurts my lower back. I want a sport bike for fun and for comfort to and from work no so much weekend track runs. My wrists are stout( I'm a diesel tech for a living) and my upper body is well enough for the stance on long runs. Riding my buddy's CBR1K is more comfortable than my Shadow to me. I've sat on the ZX14 too but it just seems to bulky to me. Plus I REALLY like that cross plane sound, I get a brief high when one passes. Thank you guys for your input I'm leaving today to go look at one.

#14 ·
Well went ahead and bought one tonight! 2011 Raven Red, its been lowered and has brake-away levers. 2600 miles. Paid $7,400. They go around that since I've been looking. I fit perfect on it though I must say i may pick up drop pegs for it as they seem to me to be up to high in traffic stop and go.:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.