Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Can a suit be repaired to like-new condition?

992 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Sabotage 
#1 ·
I finally got the suit I've been dreaming of since January and I had my first street-crash two days after getting it. The suit did its job and I'm okay, but I'm wondering if it can be repaired to look brand new. The left arm inner-fabric is ripped up, there's a hole through the leather in the left knee, and the shoulder titanium sliders are completely destroyed.

I live fairly close to Barancle Bill, is he any good? I'll try to get pictures of the suit on here soon.

It was a horribly shitty day from morning till night and I should have called off the ride. Everything went wrong that day (look at my leaky master cylinder thread), tail gate had to be pryed open to get the bikes out when we arrived at the dragon, couldn't get the bikes to ratched down correctly etc.. THE NIGHT BEFORE I bought a Shoei X14... Another piece of equipment I had been dreaming of for months. I had it less than 24hrs before smacking my head into the asphalt.... I can say that it felt unbelievably soft when my head it the road, so $600 down the toilet is better than a brain injury at least.

I'll have a video of the crash sometime in the future. It probably isn't wise to upload before I talk to my insurance company. The bike is pretty good though, almost all of the damage was easy-swap pieces.

See less See more
#11 ·
Sorry to hear about your crash, glad you made it out without too much damage to yourself or the bike. I guess you got the suit and quality helmet just on time!!! Sucks that the suit and helmet got damaged but it's better than your skin and head.:fact

I'm thinking Allstate doesn't cover gear, but I may check. Is it worth putting in a claim if they don't cover gear and the bike only has mostly fairing damage? How much do they usually raise your premium?
It all depends how old you are, if this is your 1st claim and what your premium is now. You can pretty much count on your premium going up so after you see what it's going to cost to repair everything you'll have to see how the cost works out long term.

That sucks big time with especially with all new gear. Good thing you were covered up though.

Were you riding your bike with the leak still?
I was wondering the same thing and how bad the leak is.

#13 ·
It seems like some of you are speaking about the protective gear like it was purchased as a fashion statement. If you buy gear and you never get to use it for what it was intended for then it's a waste of money. Gear is like insurance; if you never use it that's money down the drain, just like insurance. I never want to test out my gear but when I do test it, I'm just glad as fuk that I had it on. I don't care how bad the gear is destroyed, as long as it did it's job and I'm not destroyed with it, I'm happy. Plus you know what's cooler then having brand new leather? Having leather with battle scars and a story behind it.

Earlier this year I had a high side on my F3 track bike. The engine locked up in a turn that threw me in the air. During touch down, I landed on my shoulder and broke my collar bone. The co-pay to address this fail cost me $3000. 1/3 of that cost could have bought me better gear that may have help to prevent that injury. I know you may feel down about what happened to the gear but just think about the medical expense and additional pain that may have been involved without the top of the line protections. This should be a celebration that your hard earned investment paid dividend when needed most.

Reactions: cyclepsycho7
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.