Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2006 R1 50th Anniversary LE?

18K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  Mossawi 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone,

I don't how to ask this without sounding stupid because I already bought the bike and I should have done a "carfax" thing for bikes before buying. Anyway, my question is, how do I know or where would I look on the bike to see if I bought a 50 anniversary edition or a limited edition.

Thanks in advance.

#11 ·
Let's correct this:
For Europe they where called SP ( Special Performance)...for USA LE ( Limited Edition)

For USA 500 LE where made ( they have a Plaque that reads...XXX of 500 LE). Even though it has been mentioned that no record shows as they where made 500 in sequence or not......
For Europe around 500 SP where made. ( they have a Plaque that reads...XXX SP) Same as LE's..no confirmation can be found on exact quantity....
Yamaha had an overrun in US and made around 300 more LE's and they badged them SP's.( Do not know why or the reason....)
Reason: No idea.... This was confirmed by our Local Yamaha Dealer.

You can tell that they are the LE/SP by the Marchesini Gold Wheels, the Ohlins Gold Front Fork , Ohlins Adjustable Rear Shock, amongst other details and performance.

Also, if you take a look inside below the passenger seat cowling, there is a metal "X"that has a white sticker with the following number: 4B14

Hope this clears the dust.

#6 ·
well not trying to be nosey, but what did you pay? does it have ohlins forks? gold wheels? sorry cant think off the top of my head what extras the LE had versus the normal R1 except for those 2 things

#12 · (Edited)
Keeping things simple. The LE will have the number plate on the left of the triple tree (#244/500) The LE will also have gold emblems, gold forks, gold wheels and a yellow rear spring.

The NON-LE will look like the second picture below...

Attachments

#17 ·
To add a bit more of info....
Mine came with this box, inside the box, this card and also a bent 1 dollar bill marked 2006. Also, my #750 SP model emblem was inside the box.
I live in Puerto Rico, we are a Commonwealth of US and all of our Yamaha Motorcycles come from Mainland US.

After seating and having a brief conversation with one of the "old"guys at the Yamaha Dealer, he explained that after the 500 limited editions ran out, Yamaha started shipping to the US , Canada and PR some SP's ...
Very confussing though.....

Attachments

#18 ·
Whew I'm glad that the correct info finally came out. That was difficult to be patient reading through the responses!! :LolLolLolLol: :fact

Care to provide more details on your 50th, OP? Doesn't sound like you got ripped off to me, though without more info...nobody knows!

#34 · (Edited)
OP:Sorry for the thread jack but I had to comment on cbseanrich's Termignoni exhaust. I have the same one on my 06 R1 and love the sound, look and fitment. Also like that I've never seen another bike in my area with a set of them.

OP: From your description the bike seems like it's in good condition and I think you got a reasonable deal. Enjoy, great machine!!!

#19 ·
Thanks guys for all your feedback, I truly appreciate it. I paid 4200 and I had the oil changed the first day I got it from the shop I bought it from. I have since had the oil changed again at a different shop last month and the shop owner said that I have a pretty good bike. Even if I didn't get ripped off, I wish I could have talk the price down a little bit more. Thanks again guy. I love this website.

#40 ·
Hey guys, i'm from Brazil and i'm getting a hard time identifying my father's 2006 R1.

He bought as LE imported from Canada, it does have characteristcs of an LE, but there's no metal plate with the serial number indication (X/500) anywhere and now that i'm trying to sell it, this information is really valuable to buyers, they lose interest as soon as they learn the motorcycle does not have this count plate.

You can see the pictures i took here:

https://www.moto.com.br/comprar/-1280299.html

I would really appreciate any information that leads me to prove this is a LE (or not).

Thanks anyone that can help = )

#47 ·
I have always struggled with Ducati’s lack of record keeping when it came to different special edition bikes. But since I have agreed to buy an 06 SP , I realised the problem is quite common with these homologation special bikes, the SP being one of them.
Anyway I just bought a mint SP but the first owner misplaced the little box with the number plaque unfortunately. Now the question is, can that sequence number be identified through the frame number or were they just randomly passed on without linking it to the frame number.
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.