Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Rode in the cold the other day

4K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  RedDevil154 
#1 ·
I commend those of you who ride in 40 and below weather. Even with my cold weather gear, the other night I was frozen to the bone when I got back. How's every one else doing in these colder months?

#5 ·
I have heated gear. You actually begin to sweat if you have the temperature up too high...

Reactions: gkamp
#12 ·
Well the part of NZ that I live in is about 68 is summer and my R1 is my main transport so I am used cold riding.

Heated grips and decent insulated riding gear is the main thing .. and a really good wind blocker for your neck. One you have those things nailed down it all pretty much fades in to the background and you just get on with it.

The good thing about riding so much in cold weather is that when the sun does come out you really really appreciate it. :wink2:

#14 ·
I don't go out if it's not above 50F. The tires just don't have enough grip. I can manage by just going slow and not leaning much but then what's the point.

#18 ·
Have you seen the roads in Michigan??

Reactions: Kevap and bukwyld24
#21 ·
45 if it's sunny out is about my limit theses days. When I was 17 I rode my bike to work every day throughout the winter because I didn't have a car. Even through snow storms!!! It almost made me hate riding the year after when I finally got a car. I shortly got over it and now my present limit of 45 has been the same for many years.

#24 ·
Ive learned that 55°F is my limit and more likely closer to 65°F on leisure rides. Also haven't invested in the COLD weather gear like has been advised.

#31 ·
Nothing under 70 for me. Although, I have ridden the Skyway when it was in the mid 50's and fogged in on top at about 6K in elevation. I couldn't feel my hands. Whole body was going numb.

Reactions: RichRaven05
#35 ·
Coldest ive ever ridden was I think 28* when I left the house at 7am. It hasnt been that cold just yet. But id rather it be cold and dry then cold and wet.

this morning, it was 43* and it rained a few days before and its still damp outside and woooo....when giving it throttle. I can feel the rear wheel spinning from lack of grip while still moving forward LOL. SO, it was almost like a rolling burn out HAHAHA.

And all i have is summer gear =( but i wear base layers and use disposable gloves as a base for my hands then just wear my gloves over it lol. One time use but it helps. Glad I get free gloves at work

#40 ·
Video: Man drives scooter on QEII highway in a blizzard | Calgary Herald

This was yesterday in my city. Were all babies compared to him lol You could call this everything in the book from being stupid to brave but either way he deserves credit for manning up for his family. Bus was not an option either because he was going from the larger city to the smaller city which is about 20 kms outside

#42 · (Edited)
In 1974 in December I rode from Rahway NJ to Newark NJ on a major Highway in 10" of snow while it was still snowing to get to work. As mentioned previously, no car at the time but still had to pay apartment rent. The highway had been plowed but was still covered with packed snow and ice. Had to put both feet down like skies a few time to stay upright. Lot's of fun, LOL. The looks you get from cagers is priceless.

Sometimes if you don't have a choice you do what you have to do even if it's not the smartest decision.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.