Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Crossplane vs. Not so Crossplane

32K views 62 replies 16 participants last post by  TwentySixRed 
#1 ·
So guys, insight to me the actual differences in the earlier R1's vs. the crossplane engines. Are they really all the rage?

#9 ·
As much as I'd like to, I don't think any dealer is gonna allow a 19 year old to take their R1 for a spin regardless of my history on my own sportbike being flawless

#13 ·
Interesting. I've put over 20,000 miles on two different 2002s and now a 2003.
Never noticed vibrations... :dunno

I prefer the wail of the "screamer" engines myself.
And it's not because I'm too cheap to buy a newer R1.
I have a few other new screamers as well. :smile2:

#5 ·
after finally pulling the trigger on a new R1 I will find it hard to ever look at another bike with a standard I4 ever again. the sound while riding it is even better than the sound you hear not riding it.
think of a nice thumping V8 engine and imaging riding it. that's what it sounds like to me.

#6 ·
Well let's put it this way. I currently own a 2010 BMW s1000rr and a 2011 Yamaha r1 and until the engine on my R1 started knocking, I hadn't ridden my s1000rr since I bought the crossplane.

So if someone is choosing the crossplane over an s1000rr. It's definitely crossplane ftw lol.

I've also owned in my past
04 R1
07 R1
And nothing compared to the crossplane R1. The 07 was a fast one tho. But still the crossplane !!!

#12 ·
100% agreed. I had an 04 R1, 08 R1 and then an 09 R1 and that bike has tainted me so bad i couldnt buy my dream bike which was a 2014 bmw s1krr because it sounded like a gsxr(even with a shorty arrow exhaust).

You dont have to test ride one to see if you like it because you will. The guys that dont own one will say other wise but ask anyone whos converted and spent actual seat time and i'll bet 99% are happy with the xplane. The sound that motor makes with some pipes is honestly the best sound out there.

#15 ·
Guess I got lucky and always had smooth screamers.
Put 30,000+ miles on an '06 FZ1 as well. Traveled all over on all of them. Many many 300+ mile days on the R1s and 600+ mile days on the FZ.
No issues with bar/clip-on vibes.

#46 ·
I'm running a ECU flash by Woolich in the Bus and turned it into a totally different motorcycle, power across the board and gained a few horses. Took a full day to create a custom map to smooth everything out and since i'll be turning the exhaust into a complete soon, it'll run me another $450 to readjust the map,other places are charging in excess of $800 for the flash and $600 for 3 dyno runs.

#48 ·
I had an 08 and an 09 back to back and the 09 definitely vibrated more(with flashed ECU too). I would still pick the xplane in a second though because like i said before that, that bike sounds vicious with a am pipe.

Correct me if im wrong but i think the flash doesnt do much for the 08's and under.

#53 ·
first my hx, started with a 600f4i, drug the pegs off and drug the can, till I got an erion racing can.... such a screamer!, then graduated to 08 cbr 1krr, a few of them to be honest...absolutely loved them! felt completely at home every time I sat on one. rode the tires off them, and crashed them as well (at the track)

one lowly day decided to toss a leg over a 15 r1 for a casual test ride out of curiosity. 10 miles later I was completely hooked. The feel, the constant build of power, and the lack of vibration...I was addicted. Now my theme song seems like Dr. Dre, Never Enough (2004). :eek:

#57 · (Edited)
$610.00 for the Flashtune kit in Australia, or $475 to just send it in and have it done. Our dollar is below $US. ( http://motorcycleworkshop.com.au/product-category/flash-tune-kits/yamaha-flash-tune-kits/ ) This site is like a storefront for http://dynobike.com/
I flashed it with another member's tune for my '09. Pretty good, but on hot days a roll on flat spot.
Plus, I live out in the boondocks, and the bike dyno guys here don't know how to deal with the flashtune setup. They said they can deal with a PC5 though.

I splashed for the PC5. They're tuning it next week.

Putting PC5 tune data in, do you need the datalogit(?) cable? That was extra on the $610.

As a Ducati and V8 fan, I like the sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.