Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

My new bike - 2008 R1 in track trim

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  steelpanther 
#1 ·
After owning and loving my 5PW for the last 2 years, I've decided to sell her for something newer.
Since I've been doing more track days, I decided to buy something more focused - a 2008 R1 with track fairings.

As it stands now, it's mostly stock - Current mods include slip-ons (2 Bros) and rearsets.
Planned mods are braided lines, better brake pads and better tyres (along with warmers)
Also looking at selling my car for a small Ute, or getting a trailer.

More pics will follow, but here's a few to get started:

See less See more
#7 ·
@ love2ride - thanks! I'm not a huge fan of the 2Bros either, but have to admit it sounds pretty good (loud AF). Replacing them now is out of the budget unfortunately, but I might sell them at some point and put the money towards new pipes. I've considered an underslung pipe, but the underseat pipes have grown on me.
Pity that Graves are hard to find around here, and would be very expensive to import. I really like the GYTR pipes too.
Do the slip ons from the 04-06 model fit on the 08?
@chadwick - I've only mounted it there once, I usually have it mounted to my helmet. Sadly our track day organizers don't allow cams on the helmets.
I'll be mounting it to my tank soon.

@ Torchsport - Thanks! Can't say I like the big Monster decals all that much, but I'll change the paint if I ever drop the bike.. hopefully not soon!
Spending my money on the important stuff first, aesthetics will be done as needed.
Black and gold would be my first choice though, and a big IOM logo (ny tree cassyn) in the place of that Monster logo.

#8 ·
Nice Bike! Not a fan of the monster decals either but actually like the paint scheme. My 07 came with 2 bros black series cans also and after owning em i dont know why so many people hate on them so much. I guess bc there played out possibly? I love em though bc i think they make my bike sound like pure sex and there loud as ****, not to mention i think they look good.

#9 · (Edited)
I've done my first track day at Zwartkops this weekend. bike felt awesome, and behaved itself very well.
Actually felt very familiar to my 03, but it's much more of a refined experience... gears, handling, and POWERRRRR! The short gearing worked perfectly for the track, but I had some trouble catching an RSV4 on the top end.
Had some rain the night before so the track was damp for my first 2 session, and felt the rear breaking loose on a few occasions.
Started in Group C as I was new to the track, and worked my way up to B. Did my last session in A but finished my session once the race boys caught up with me.
Finished off with a 1:13 - still about 8 seconds off the slowest of the Superbikes racing class.

#11 ·
I'll miss that 5PW, that red/black/white color scheme was always a favorite on that model. Looks like you made a good upgrade though, and getting good use from those tires.
As for the 2 Bros, I never cared for the diamond carbon weave, always looked like carbon's bastard brother, and the end caps left something to be desired but hard to argue with the sound.
Enjoy the ride!

#12 ·
That 5PW was my dream bike, the red/white/black colour scheme was the best looking for that model. It really accentuated the lines and the bike drew a lot of attention.
The midrange power was awesome, but with the 08's gearing, it pales in comparison.

I'm running rather cheap tyres - Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport, but they performed very well for street biased tyres. Most of the guys were running D211/D212, Supercorsas etc

Once these tyres are worn, I'll switch to the D211's - hoping to lap under 1:10 by June. I'm doing 1:14's consistently, with 1:13 something as my fastest for the day, and the odd 1:15 when held up by traffic.

#15 ·
Haha yeah I always thought the R1's were good for taller guys, but I still feel a bit hunched over on it. I'm 1,86m (6'1) tall, but my legs are quite long.
I'm flat footed on pretty much any sportbike I sit on. I like to think the extra height makes me more top-heavy, and in theory should make the bike easier to tip in to corners.
I still have some room for improvement when it comes to BP

#17 ·
Turn 2 still catches me out! That will be my focus for the next track day at Zwartkops.
Overall, my lines require some improvement. I've been watching some onboard footage but I'm definitely starting in the A group next time so I can follow the faster guys and learn a few things from them.

#18 ·
There is another one this Sunday 26th hosted by BMW Boksburg, I am keen on going...

I focus on the apex's rather than my lines... every time I think of riding in group A its either crowded or the national racers show up for practicing...

My last trackday there it was so crowded in group A and B that I rode in group C... which the marshals didnt like and asked me to move up to group B or leave.

#19 ·
I'm keen to go, but my bike is currently with APS to sort out my sump, and only getting it back next week :(
Last guy that worked on the bike managed to overtighten it, and stripped the thread. Leroy had a Helicoil installed for me. Bloody oil filter was also stuck!

Do you take your bike by trailer, or do you ride it there? I've been looking for someone to partner with on track days to share a trailer.
Very keen for Red Star but it would only make sense if I took my bike on a trailer.

#21 ·
I also rode to the last track day, but obviously not the safest or most legal plan I've had.
I actually looked in to buying a half tonner just to haul the bike around, but eventually decided a trailer is a cheaper and easier option for me. My Corolla is too comfortable to give up
I'm scouting for a secondhand single bike trailer at the moment

#22 · (Edited)
So.. the inevitable happened: I crashed, and pretty hard.
The bike looked a lot better than me.

On my second session for the day, second lap, turn 5 - lost the rear, and then got it back suddenly, resulting in the infamous highside.
Footage of (a very short) session 2:

Damage to me: Broken collarbone in 2 places, 3 hairline fractures in my shoulder, dislocated index finger on the right, sprained wrist, sprained ankle, and a concussion. I was knocked out for while, apparently I regained consciousness but remained unresponsive until I got to the trackside clinic.

Damage to the bike: Broken right footpeg, bent rearset, rashed tank, some rashing on the right lever and switchgear, lots of fairing damage on the front, and a rashed tailpiece. All in all not too bad for a highside.

I've decided to fix it enough to sell it off, as I'm making plans for a move to NZ. SO sadly I will be parting ways with her.
It's such a good bike, I'd be inclined to get another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.