Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Track riding vs street vs both

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  nidyanazo 
#1 ·
So Ive been riding a brand new r1 since October and Im in love with it. Did some kilimeteres on the road, went to track days, with instructors and everything and doing great.

When on track days, people tell me this thing, constantly:

"Man that brand new bike here on the track, you gotta be crazy. Its too expensive, get something cheaper and older as you are gonna fall down with time. Everyone goes to de ground."

So I was thinking about getting some fiber racing fairings but I like the factory look, not sure if I want to leave it as a racinf bike, mirrors out, tail out, fairings, etc and Im just too lazy for switching from street to track over and over.

Was thinking about getting and old r6 for track days and amateur acing, they have a point on what they say but is just a shame not to put that beautiful bike on the track.

There's also people that you can fall down on the street too but chances are probablt lower as technique is not pushed to ones limits there.

Thoughts? I change my mind every 2 hours, can't make a decision.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
danger on the street is not always you as a rider, its everything and everyone else out there out to get you.

danger on the track? same thing, but at higher speeds :lol

pos 600cc track-only bike, literbike for the street :yesnod

i've heard this said many times, the thrill of riding a slow bike fast is sometimes greater than riding a (brand new) fast bike slow :sneaky

guilty as charged, but i've only bought a used bike once.. Mind you there are some great deals on 600s since they're a dying breed.

Reactions: DarkThrottle
#5 ·
My 08 R6r pulled double duty the last two seasons. I just made sure that I had a lot of spare parts and lots of crash protection before I was comfortable to take it to the track. I would imagine that the used parts for your 15 on up R1 are still not as plentiful as the R6, so you can go buy a bunch of parts. I could be wrong. If you have the spare cash to buy a cheap beater, do it. If not, buy a bunch of used parts including a crashed gas tank that passes tech, and call it a day.

I didn't mind changing my stuff over every time I went to the track. I just had to plan out my time to get everything done. Give yourself a week before you go to the track, so you can make sure everything is correct and not a rush job. Good luck.

#6 ·
Tell anyone who tells you that to piss off. Its your bike and it is only a bike. Insure it...gap it..if you lay it down and walk away that is all that matters.

I swap plastics and enjoy doing it like many others. My buddy races his leggera and rides the piss out if it.

Ride whatever you want wherever you want and have fun!

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Assuming you are talking about track days (and not racing), the amount of danger is up to you. You can ride a motorcycle at a track day just as slow (or fast) as riding it on the street. Just because you are on a track doesn't mean you need to push 100%. Most organizations run the track days split into three or more groups to separate the skill levels, but also so that riders can take a bike on the track and just turn laps.

On the other hand if you are going to push to the limit of your abilities (and maybe beyond) I would seriously consider a cheaper track bike unless you have enough disposable income to replace your ride. If you plan on going all out, just plan on writing the bike off so you won't be disappointed....

#9 ·
Ive ridden on the street a long time, ridden on the track and raced. If you're going to push the limits then it is wise to get a second bike. Then you're also riding without the worry of crashing your new r1. If you're not concerned about crashing then ride the hell out of your r1.. But the cost of fixing it and time you will be out of a bike may be worth getting a second.

#11 ·
I ride my R1 on the street and track and crashed it so I kept a backup cheap small bike to get around on while the R1 was being fixed. :wink2:
Some may say this is back to front but I love riding the R1 on the track and don't regret choosing to risk it .. just regret the bills :crying:

#12 ·
If you want to go all out racing, then it makes sense to get a dedicated track bike.

however, in my opinion, if you just go to the track to have a good time, go fast without worrying about the law chasing you, and dont tend to push it to the edge of it's, or your limits, then theres really no need.

I know plenty of people who regularly go to track days on their flash late model road bikes, they arent the fastest guys there, but they just go to have a little fun.
Nothing wrong with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.