Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Electric Motorcycle - opinions?

2K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Just4GP 
#1 ·
Electric cars has become a viable option for mainstream markets for a while. I did not ever consider one until Tesla came out the Model S and BMW came out with their I series. These are too rich for my blood but, I am hopeful for a sleek looking electric car that has some power behind it hitting the mainstream market.

Now on to bikes, would any of you consider a electric bike? There are some that have been released already but, I would love to see a liter bike equivalent, Yamaha sport electric bike. I imagine that torque would be crazy and it would look like the Tron bike [emoji23]. I would ride one.

I googled some electric bikes. Zero seems to be the manufacturer known for successfully launching a electric motorcycle. BMW had a great concept bike but, I haven't seen anything about it outside a few articles from 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Check out the Lightning LS-218. Fastest electric bike in production as of 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

'16 R1 60th Anniversary Edition - Euro Spec
Akrapovic link pipe (cat delete)
Custom LED tail light w/integrated signals
DMP fender eliminator
Woodcraft engine covers
Yamaha aluminum frame sliders
Tech Spec Snakeskin tank grips

#12 ·
I remembered this bike as soon as I saw the racing video on YouTube. This bike is cool. I always thought it was just a prototype. You say it's a production bike?

#6 ·
Not practical enough for me to be interested at this time. The battery tech just isnt there yet to get a reasonable range. I dont think there is 1 on the market right now that would last my normal sunday route.

I would never dare take one on a long distance trip.
Agreed on both. When i did my Cali trip we talked with a guy who was on a zero and the tech is cool and the power right off the bat is insane but that bike made no noise and even he said the range is not there. This will sound lame but for me the rumble is what makes the experience, ive always been a noise guy so i need the motor noise and tbh the louder the better. We had no idea his bike was even on until he told us and when he took off it was the weirdest thing. He was raving about the instant torque though and from what it looked like he took off pretty quick

#10 ·
Just curious. How far do you ride. Are you using a sports bike? I am a new rider and always hear about how uncomfortable long rides on sports bikes are. I haven't taken my bike out for a long ride yet.

#14 ·
I'll pass on electric. I have seen the zeros around here in ca. People talking about them is like prius owners telling me their car has balls. No thanks. I really don't care about global warming or saving on gas.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Damn that is fast. 10 seconds off the MotoGP pole with a street car? (ok, a very expensive "street" car).

I love the concept of an electric bike, but the battery technology is just not there yet. Even when they get the bike up to 100 miles per charge you are basically done for the day after that. It takes me about 2 minutes to recharge my R1 for another 100 miles run...

#28 · (Edited)
this is what I mean by the tech isn't there yet, with all this badassery it still weighs 551 lbs with a carbon fiber frame and swingarm. and can only last 1 lap around the tt. electric bikes as I see it are at least another 10- 15 years off from being practical. maybe even longer. unless someone comes up with a super light weight chemical for a battery it will not happen. possibly the lithium battery will be replaced by sugar...yup, sugar...wich can be recharged by filling it with a solution of 15% maltodextrin.:yea:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...ium-your-smartphone-might-soon-run-on-enzymes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.