Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What do you think of GSX-R riders?

5K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  Just4GP 
#1 ·
I swear to god all GSX-R riders are the same low rent stereotypical people who give riders in general a bad name, always ghetto, always cocky, always ignorant, always reckless, always inexperienced, always the people causing disturbances and always the type of people you would expect to see on some Jersey Shore-esque reality TV show, it doesn't matter if it's a girl or guy, it's like they're bred in a factory.

I've been riding for 11 years and I feel nothing but disdain for these people when I go out on a group ride and a pile of GSX-R's roll up, I feel like leaving and in a pack I stay well away from them as I know they're going to do something stupid and embarrassing, it's cringe inducing...

Is this linked to financial status and the ability to get approved for a loan or something? It just seems like Suzuki will give a bike to any asshole who walks into a showroom...

#2 ·
Not a fan of gsxrs or most of their riders either... Most are squids, or others steal your girlfriend of 7 years, marries her and has a baby with her(not saying anything that specific happened or anything....) Lol.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Nuff said.

#5 · (Edited)
Love them. Never had a group of people that can provide as much entertainment on a consistent basis like GSX-R riders can.

Met a 1k rider that KILLS Busa's all the time because he has a dyno tune, power commander and a full system exhaust ( had to burst his bubble that he only had a slip on to which he said "Who cares? It's still tuned and KILLS Busas")

I had to walk away.

#8 ·
My sensible and non-squid riding buddy has 2 of them. He is oblivious to the stereotypes.
Probably because he has no interest in forums and any other social media sites that spread it.

#12 ·
I swear to god all GSX-R riders are the same low rent stereotypical people who give riders in general a bad name, always ghetto, always cocky, always ignorant, always reckless, always inexperienced, always the people causing disturbances and always the type of people you would expect to see on some Jersey Shore-esque reality TV show, it doesn't matter if it's a girl or guy, it's like they're bred in a factory.

I've been riding for 11 years and I feel nothing but disdain for these people when I go out on a group ride and a pile of GSX-R's roll up, I feel like leaving and in a pack I stay well away from them as I know they're going to do something stupid and embarrassing, it's cringe inducing...

Is this linked to financial status and the ability to get approved for a loan or something? It just seems like Suzuki will give a bike to any asshole who walks into a showroom...

I'm in the military and have the unique ability to interact with a large cross section of our different sub-cultures in America. I can't judge a rider based on their bike or car.

There are TONS on GSX-Rs over here on island and I can't say that all are douches or fit the stereotype that you are presenting. I don't judge a person before I interact with them. Their car/lifestyle choice may be an indicator but, how can we accurately judge that.

The GSX-R riders may think you are a douche for being anti social in a social group ride or the stereotype of being snobbish and entitled.....see where I am going with this?

Saying all of that. I have met A$$hats that ride all types of bikes and vehicles. They can equally eat a Sausage [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
I've been on 2 wheels for over 22 years and I'm also military and I can for sure say that different bike manufacturers do attract certain types of riders with different riding styles.

I'm also from Myrtle Beach, SC and I saw riders from all over growing up.

What island are you on and what are you riding?

#16 ·
GSX-R's have always been solid bikes and sell well, which translates into a lot of them on the road and great aftermarket support, which leads to a large number of squids riding them. Doesn't take away from all the good GSX-R riders our there or the quality of the bike, but it is just human nature to see ten GSX-R's a day and only remember the one guy riding a wheelie in city traffic wearing shorts and a tank top with sandals flapping in the wind. Kind of like what happens everyday with non riders when they see any bike... :(

But friends don't let friends ride Suzuki... :p

#20 ·
In france it doesn't necessarily exists, there sure are douchebags, but i can tell you (unfortunately) that i saw as much of them on R1's as on Gsx-r's. It is true though that most of the gixxer owners always feel like they are faster than anybody and most of em are kinda "young pricks". But well the riders do not make the brand, if that was the case i would never have ordered my R1 haha...

#49 ·
They do exist, in ignorance. Stereotypes help people sift through vast amounts of information and categorize it quickly. But that does make the object beholden to the stereotype. It makes the observer's thought process speed up. Nonetheless, most people do not live up to the stereotypes.

#51 ·
I think people are getting a bit caught up by the premise of generalizations and what they may use for a race bikes rather than the origin of the stereotype, a stereotype that is predicated upon street riders and well known across the internet, it didn't come to be for no reason. Regardless of what anyone may think or disagree with, stereotypes are rooted in reality, yes they may generalize an entire group but when a group has stigmatized themselves enough to become stereotyped then they have left a largely noticeable and universal impact on a national level.

#57 ·
We can have a deep discussion on stereotypes, discrimination and self filling prophecies but, it will derail the point of your original post haha.

American History will show how many stereotypes a negative impact on a sub culture. Asian and Eastern European stereotypes were created to gain support of traditionalist movements during the gold rush and Industrial Age; stereotypes of Africans that were slaves portrayed as savages, dumb and less than human....there are many more examples and I don't think that these people created the stereotypes that they were given.

GSX-R riders are ok in my book. I agree that there are idiots that ride them too. Just not all of them. I can admit that I probably would have been a squid on a GSX-R if the military didn't require me to go to the MSF course before riding. I probably would have picked up a GSX-R 1000 if I didn't find a R1 for sale out here. I wanted a R1 after meeting a veteran rider in Florida that had a black and blue R1. His bike was dope. It was modded out and He lowered it.

#55 ·
My best friend and riding buddy was/still is a big fan of the GSXR1000. He owned one while in SA and plan on buying another in NZ - he is by no means a squid, and I consider him to be one of the most capable riders I know.

That being said, I do see a lot of idiots on Gixxers. But I also see a lot of idiots on any other bikes, especially on 1200GS'. But they stand out that way as they are very popular bikes - more bikes in circulation, this more idiots riding them.
I'm pretty sure the ratio of idiot GSXR owners are close to that of any other manufacturer/model, but we see less of them due to the number of bikes on the road.

GSXR's have a reputation for being able to take abuse, so a lot of newcomers and squids lean towards them as they think they can get away by skimping on the maintenance.
I know they are popular on track due to the amount of spares available

This review on the Hayabusa is rather hilarious - the guy has a funnily accurate way of summing up the kind of squids we so often lambaste on forums and other social media.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.