Thinking about buying an R1 !!! (But is the heat normal?) - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
^_^
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Thinking about buying an R1 !!! (But is the heat normal?)

So I currently own an SV650, and it's nice...but I want more power - especially at the top end.

I went and sat on several bikes, and found the 2008 CBR1000rr and 2007 Yamaha R1 to be the most comfortable.
The R1 seemed to be REALLY smooth, and surprisingly comfortable....and it was a total blast to ride.
More forgiving than I thought - and easily controlled. I was slightly hesitant to try the liter class, but I was very comfortable controlling the throttle and had total confidence.

The ONLY negative thing I noticed was the amount of heat hitting my legs. (Within a few minutes).
Is this the exhaust? The radiator? The engine? Is it normal? Do they just run hot?

I fell in love with this bike very fast, but I feel like the extra heat would be brutal in the summertime and I would definitely need to correct this.
Tips? Suggestions?

The one I rode was red, but I prefer blue. It's a good deal at $5,500 for an 07' R1 w/ 17k miles.
Do I hold out for one in blue? Or do I sell the SV650, and buy this red one next week? LOL!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:58 AM
I eat my R1

Does the bike still have the catalytic converter? If so, the heat you're feeling is likely exhaust (though to be honest, I don't find it that bad on my 07, which still has the cat)

As for the fairings, you can:
- get the bike painted
- see if someone on the forums with a blue bike wants to trade fairings
- buy an aftermarket fairing kit
- live with the red fairings :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzombie View Post
Does the bike still have the catalytic converter? If so, the heat you're feeling is likely exhaust (though to be honest, I don't find it that bad on my 07, which still has the cat)

As for the fairings, you can:
- get the bike painted
- see if someone on the forums with a blue bike wants to trade fairings
- buy an aftermarket fairing kit
- live with the red fairings :P
The bike is about 45min away, and while I was there I didn't look to see if it still had the catalytic converter. I know it had akrapovic exhaust, but not sure about the cat.
From things I've read, these bikes just tend to run pretty hot. If I can get rid of 50% of the heat, it would be OK to ride in both summer and winter. Right now, it's a furnace. lol
I wanted to stay longer, but had to go to work. Once I have some real cash put together I wouldn't mind taking another trip out there.

As for the fairings... it's either live with the red, or buy a blue bike. But this price....seemed very reasonable. Retail value at a dealership seems cool.
They said they could only move a couple hundred off the price, but you know how that goes. Show up with $4,800 cash ... and suddenly they can come off $700. lol
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 03:47 AM
I eat my R1

I have what is/was a red 07.

I liked the look of the 2012 WGP50 edition, so I bought a set of aftermarket fairings, and I'd say for the price they were well worth the money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 03:56 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

I have an 06 which is very similar to the 07 design and it is definitely exhaust heat. I have the cat removed and installed a Y pipe and a set termigoni slipons, got a PCIII and a dyno tune and the heat isn't bad at all and runs excellent. R1's from 04 to 08 all have undertail exhaust and will be hotter than a bike with side mounted exhaust so it will feel hotter than what you're used to but to me the look is worth it and if modded as I did or something similar it shouldn't bother you. Enjoy the bike, 07-08's are great bikes and one of the sweetest looking sportbikes ever made.
iamzombie, RichRaven05 and ^_^ like this.

Lucky 13 Squadron

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 05-27-2017 at 04:01 AM.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
I have what is/was a red 07.

I liked the look of the 2012 WGP50 edition, so I bought a set of aftermarket fairings, and I'd say for the price they were well worth the money.

Looks nice. Fairings generally aren't cheap though are they? Mind I ask how reasonably priced they were?
Eliminating some heat would be a higher priority for me, but I guess if I got the bike at a good price - I could invest into some fairings if the red bugged me.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
I have an 06 which is very similar to the 07 design and it is definitely exhaust heat. I have the cat removed and installed a Y pipe and a set termigoni slipons, got a PCIII and a dyno tune and the heat isn't bad at all and runs excellent. R1's from 04 to 08 all have undertail exhaust and will be hotter than a bike with side mounted exhaust so it will feel hotter than what you're used to but to me the look is worth it and if modded as I did or something similar it shouldn't bother you. Enjoy the bike, 07-08's are great bikes and one of the sweetest looking sportbikes ever made.
Thanks, that's what I figured. If I picked up this bike, or another similar - eliminating some heat would be a top priority. lol.
This summer is going to be hot - so I don't mind tinkering around on the bike and putting my tools to good use.
The R1 is soooo smooth. Much more than the CBR1000rr which was incredibly surprising. Love at first ride.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 04:39 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_^ View Post
Thanks, that's what I figured. If I picked up this bike, or another similar - eliminating some heat would be a top priority. lol.
This summer is going to be hot - so I don't mind tinkering around on the bike and putting my tools to good use.
The R1 is soooo smooth. Much more than the CBR1000rr which was incredibly surprising. Love at first ride.
Go get it today, I guaranty you won't be sorry!!!!
RichRaven05 likes this.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 04:48 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_^ View Post
Looks nice. Fairings generally aren't cheap though are they? Mind I ask how reasonably priced they were?
Eliminating some heat would be a higher priority for me, but I guess if I got the bike at a good price - I could invest into some fairings if the red bugged me.
Fairings were cheaper than you'd think... OEM fairings are super expensive, the aftermarket stuff ranges from the super cheap stuff you find on ebay for $300 to the higher-end stuff for around $650.

I bought my fairings from suretribe.com, they have a LOT of different kits

Aftermarket fairings and body kits for Yamaha YZF-R1 2007 2008 - SureTribe.com

(they have 2 different blue schemes, which are on sale for under $600)

I wrote a review of my experiences with suretribe, you can read it here on the forums if you're interested:

REVIEW: WGP 50th replica bodykit from Suretribe.com (in progress)

post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
Go get it today, I guaranty you won't be sorry!!!!
I would if I could. Basically, I'll have $3,000 in a week. And an SV650 that I can sell for $3,000.
So, it's not an option today...but I'm definitely getting an R1. Being 6'3" 260lbs, I was surprised at how comfortable it was.
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Fairings were cheaper than you'd think... OEM fairings are super expensive, the aftermarket stuff ranges from the super cheap stuff you find on ebay for $300 to the higher-end stuff for around $650.

I bought my fairings from suretribe.com, they have a LOT of different kits

Aftermarket fairings and body kits for Yamaha YZF-R1 2007 2008 - SureTribe.com

(they have 2 different blue schemes, which are on sale for under $600)

I wrote a review of my experiences with suretribe, you can read it here on the forums if you're interested:

REVIEW: WGP 50th replica bodykit from Suretribe.com (in progress)
The price isn't too bad I guess. I still would be hesitant to spend that kind of money unless it was dropped and scraped up.
Living with red, and having the extra $600 is probably doable, but it's nice to have the option of different color schemes if I ever want to change it up.
There are far worse looking red bikes, and this one isn't really that bad honestly....I'd just prefer blue
Maybe something will pop up in between now and when the cash is put together for it. *Hopefully sooner than later*
Glad they sorted out your little mishap with the tank cover not being properly aligned - good business ethics by taking care of that issue.
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Also I meant to mention - insurance is surprisingly cheap!!!
Cheaper than many other bikes I had quoted.
All the more reason to join the R1 club.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:52 PM
My R1 feeds me

As a somewhat biased rider (07 R1), The heat is almost a no issue if you have a good pair of ridding jeans with the kevlar linner in the legs, even less so with leather, but yes, removing the cat takes much of it away, if you like to squid around in shorts

While not without its faults, I would rather deal with the 07/08 kwirks, as oposee to the melting dashes in the 09+ with problem headlights and charge issues, altho most must have been taken care of by now.

I drove a 08 cbr1k for a month while I rebuilt my head on my bike, and tbh it was good, but that one did seem to consume more oil and was less comfortable for me (6f 260lbs)

07 has no riders aids either, but thank god for a slipper clutch at the very least XD

Gl with your purchase
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Chillin'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings of gold View Post
While not without its faults, I would rather deal with the 07/08 kwirks, as oposee to the melting dashes in the 09+ with problem headlights and charge issues, altho most must have been taken care of by now.
My 09 has none of these issues. Not sure what you're talking about.

post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
^_^

Heat was noticeable through jeans. Never shorts when riding. Although, quite frankly...going down at higher speeds - it probably wouldn't make much difference.
I looked into several types of overpants (because I ride to work 5x/week) - but pretty much every pair I tried had the knee armor sitting too low.
I'm really interested in going to a track a couple hours away but I'll need a full riding suit - so that's an investment that I'll need to make sometime.

I'll definitely remove the cat off the R1 and consider some exhaust wrap. Glad to hear it's just how the bikes were designed.
It's unbelievably comfortable, smooth, and (obv) has plenty of power.

10/10 highly recommend. Would buy now if the cash was sitting here. lol
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Banned

DO NOT!!! Buy the 08 cbr1000rr I had one and like many others there was a Pistons ring issue that caused them to use "excessive" OIL.... Mine was running threw a quart every 600 miles. It also had crank issues as well. please beware of that bike.
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
DO NOT!!! Buy the 08 cbr1000rr I had one and like many others there was a Pistons ring issue that caused them to use "excessive" OIL.... Mine was running threw a quart every 600 miles. It also had crank issues as well. please beware of that bike.
Thanks for the heads up. Funny thing - the 2008 cbr1000rr had only 8k miles and the gas light was stuck on.
Not only that, it seemed way less smooth through the rpms when compared to the 2007 R1 w/ 17k miles. lol
I did a quick test ride of each, and rode the R1 first. Within a few minutes of riding the Honda, I wanted to go back and ride the R1 again. lol
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:25 PM
Banned

beware of all CBR's no but seriously honda's are over engineered and can be a pain in the azz to work on.
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharandy View Post
beware of all CBR's no but seriously honda's are over engineered and can be a pain in the azz to work on.
Honestly, I really like the brand Honda and I was very surprised at how much I favored the R1 over it.
Without test riding them, I wouldn't have had any idea the R1 was a much nicer fit!!
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:16 PM
My R1 feeds me

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings of gold View Post
My 09 has none of these issues. Not sure what you're talking about.

congratulations, you are a special snowflake.
If every bike was plagued with every issue of its model they wouldnt be "quirks" they would be manufacturing defects and mass recals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode