Looks like the Honda hype might be real - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Looks like the Honda hype might be real

I know there was a lot of nay sayers about the MCN review crowning the CBR king but the majority of these guys are placing it higher than everything except the Ape so there might be some truth to this no? or is the world really that corrupt lol

I dont know about yall but that buell looks so dated with the round front and the 2 pipe into 1 silencer
Yautja likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

Saw this and still some picked the ebr in their top 3, I want one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Believe in Him.

Very interesting comparison, thanks for posting it. I like the fact they used many different riders and that they have different bike preferences due to their size and weight. I knew the R1 would come up short in the comfort department, as I'm also having trouble adjusting to it (which is due to my body type). Dropping the rear an inch already made a world of difference. I'll see what else I can do to make it work for me.

Trust unto God and He shall direct your path.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Unacceptable

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Ive been following Guy Martin and for a Honda sponsored rider hes not sugar coating the false neutral issue lol I wonder if this is a known issue for the 2017 cbrs?

All first gens will have their gremlins. please excuse the shitty meme work but you get the point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	939713  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 AM
I'm the happy go lucky mod!

Garage
OK, when is the track comparison coming out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sig pic courtesy of THE GODFATHER!

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 AM
I eat my R1

The aprilia would be in my garage already if I wasn't so gun shy on its mechanic reliability. I just can't go back to the machine being broke all the time. I was going to get the Honda this year but the early reviews said the traction control wheelie control sucked so I'll pass till they fix that. Not worth trading my R1 in for worse performance imo
Yautja likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
The aprilia would be in my garage already if I wasn't so gun shy on its mechanic reliability. I just can't go back to the machine being broke all the time. I was going to get the Honda this year but the early reviews said the traction control wheelie control sucked so I'll pass till they fix that. Not worth trading my R1 in for worse performance imo
I've been gun shy of Hondas since my oil-burner of a 2008 killed its engine w/12,000 miles on the clock. Crappy valve seats straight from the factory. Yeah, I bought a lemon.
fastrob691 likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
I've been gun shy of Hondas since my oil-burner of a 2008 killed its engine w/12,000 miles on the clock. Crappy valve seats straight from the factory. Yeah, I bought a lemon.
You were not the only one. There were many more...lol
fastrob691 likes this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Believe in Him.

You know, you guys really scare me with your engine-killing stories. I'd be absolutely HORRIFIED if something like that happened to my R1, seriously! I have 2 left hands when it comes to anything mechanical, so that makes it even worse if anything even remotely complicated happens to break down. Thankfully I have a good friend (who is a mechanic by trade) to help me out.

It's a shame about the Honda reliability, but I'm hopeful they'll improve their quality. Over here we only have one bike dealer (Yamaha), the next one is supposed to come online this year and guess what...it's a Honda dealer. So we already have a very limited choice among bikes, the last thing we need is an unreliable manufacturer. We used to have a big Harley dealer, but it went bankrupt about 8 years or so ago. I guess they couldn't keep them running long enough and their customers just got fed up and took off...

Trust unto God and He shall direct your path.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:02 PM
I eat my R1

Interesting. The Honda has come last in the 2 UK comparisons I've read (Bike and Performance Bike). One was street and track, the other track. And the winner in both was the Gixxer. Neither test included any Italian bikes.

The main gripes with the Honda were inconsistent throttle response, poor ABS on the track, and not enough power.

Both comparisons had the bikes in exactly the same order - Gixxer, RR, R1 and Blade. One mag included the ZX10R at 4th.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:10 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawle View Post
Ive been following Guy Martin and for a Honda sponsored rider hes not sugar coating the false neutral issue lol I wonder if this is a known issue for the 2017 cbrs?
It is now! They had the onboard of the crash in the TT coverage complete with audio of a box full of neutrals and I expect it's all over YouTube. Then there was the McGuinness crash at the NW200. Now this guy just doesn't crash and said it felt like the throttle stuck. Honda said they couldn't download the data afterwards, but they changed from the kit ECU to a Motec for the TT!

Then to rub salt in, a Gixxer won the Senior TT. Not a good month for Honda, and I doubt they'll be selling many new Blades in the UK.!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:02 PM
THEONE

I wish they would put Dunlop on the r1 for a tt senior win. Yamaha didn't have any of the top riders on the r1.
DarkThrottle likes this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:58 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
I wish they would put Dunlop on the r1 for a tt senior win. Yamaha didn't have any of the top riders on the r1.
They did, 2 years ago. He was so unimpressed with the bike that he walked out during practice week and did the races on the BMW's he'd ridden the previous year.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:22 PM
THEONE

I like to read about this, I'm wondering what it was that he did not like about the bike.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 AM
Horsepower whisperer

Garage
I would pick the Beemer. But I'm a bit biased.
I'd love to test the new Honda. I enjoyed my '08 CBR10000RR. Mine never used a drop of oil in 13,000+ miles.

2016 BMW S1000RR Premium (Dream bike)
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR (Sex machine)
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (Only HD that handles)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My 3rd R1)
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:56 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
I like to read about this, I'm wondering what it was that he did not like about the bike.
I'll see if I can find a link.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:33 AM
The Doctor's Assistant

The Fireblade's throttle is dismal and is the reason it was placed so low in the UK camparos. The fact that the aforementioned review claim the FireBlade's throttle is smooth unlike the Yamaha's (which happens to be the exact opposite) is what grinds my gears about that overtly bias review.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 AM
99 R1

Send a message via AIM to Death R1
I've been following this on the CBR forums ( 1000rr.net ) and I have money down / ordered a SP2 .. I should receive it this fall.

The problem with the honda is that it came out during race season. No winter testing. All the testing is being done on the track. For the street, it should be fine - under powered without a flash but fine. I would expect some software updates for 2018. Some of the racers are junking the OEM quick shifter and going aftermarket. I would expect the CBR 1000 to have a few recalls before it's all said and done. .. The R1 had a significant motor recall it's first year. Heck my 99 had a transmission recall it's first year. Lock up on me on the back roads with less than 1700 miles on her. Par the course -- bike quality isn't what it used to be.

in terms of rider impressions .. unless it's flashed and someone spends time on the suspension setting up the bike - I wouldn't worry about it .. they are so close for the street off the showroom floor -- get what fits good and looks good
cyclepsycho7 likes this.

Tuned by Bugaj

"In pursuit of more speed with the same power"

my "back from the dead" thread:

Last edited by Death R1; 06-16-2017 at 06:20 PM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yautja View Post
Very interesting comparison, thanks for posting it. I like the fact they used many different riders and that they have different bike preferences due to their size and weight. I knew the R1 would come up short in the comfort department, as I'm also having trouble adjusting to it (which is due to my body type). Dropping the rear an inch already made a world of difference. I'll see what else I can do to make it work for me.

I tippy toe like crazy on mine but LOVE the legroom. I had an 08 CBR 1000 and my short (30.5/31.0 inseam) legs were CRAMPED all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode