Let's talk about heat reduction! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
^_^
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Let's talk about heat reduction!

So I just picked up a 2008 R1 w/ 6,600 miles on her. Great bike, but as expected, the heat she puts off is insane.
The bike runs at normal operating temps, so that's not really an issue for me.
The problem is that my legs feel a TON of heat coming through the exhaust.

Questions:
I'm thinking about replacing the mid-pipe with an aftermarket ypipe. Do you NEED a power commander when replacing just the mid-pipe?

Is this something you should think about doing with ANY brand, or just some brands? (Akro and Delko both say no remapping required? This true?)

Instead of replacing the mid-pipe, is exhaust wrap an option? Pros/cons?

What would you recommend as the best option for reducing a LOT of exhaust heat? It's really the only thing I dislike on this beast so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:46 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_^ View Post
So I just picked up a 2008 R1 w/ 6,600 miles on her. Great bike, but as expected, the heat she puts off is insane.

Questions:
I'm thinking about replacing the mid-pipe with an aftermarket ypipe. Do you NEED a power commander when replacing just the mid-pipe?

Is this something you should think about doing with ANY brand, or just some brands? (Akro and Delko both say no remapping required? This true?)

What would you recommend as the best option for reducing a LOT of exhaust heat? It's really the only thing I dislike on this beast so far.
Just did a decat, full ceramic coated exhaust and a ftecu helped a ton. I'm in AZ ambient is over 110 normally and this setup has made my commuting very tolerable

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Unacceptable

Quote:

Questions:

Getting rid of that heat-retaining cat is a big step. You don't HAVE to remap (via ecu reflash or aftermarket fuel module), but it is highly advised since you'll have more exhaust flow.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
Getting rid of that heat-retaining cat is a big step. You don't HAVE to remap (via ecu reflash or aftermarket fuel module), but it is highly advised since you'll have more exhaust flow.
Bike comes alive after a flash! You'll be glad you did

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
Bike comes alive after a flash! You'll be glad you did

I guess I can pull the ecu and take it to a local stealership?
I'd rather not be without a bike for a week by sending in my ECU via mail.

Or - I could go ahead and put on the mid-pipes this summer, and ECU flash this winter when it gets real cold??
I just don't want to put any extra wear and tear on my bike by waiting for the flash/remap.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm all for putting on a new y-pipe - that's too easy. I guess I need to call around locally about an ECU flash...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
I guess I can pull the ecu and take it to a local stealership?
I'd rather not be without a bike for a week by sending in my ECU via mail.

Or - I could go ahead and put on the mid-pipes this summer, and ECU flash this winter when it gets real cold??
I just don't want to put any extra wear and tear on my bike by waiting for the flash/remap.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm all for putting on a new y-pipe - that's too easy. I guess I need to call around locally about an ECU flash...
Ftecu you just install the cable and you can do whatever you want to it unlimited. I really like that I can put the fan speeds on at whatever temperature I desire

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Ftecu you just install the cable and you can do whatever you want to it unlimited. I really like that I can put the fan speeds on at whatever temperature I desire

Not sure the difference between the "bench" or "data link" flash kits.
And DANG these are not cheap. lol. I still gotta pay sales tax on this monster!!!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:56 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Not sure the difference between the "bench" or "data link" flash kits.
And DANG these are not cheap. lol. I still gotta pay sales tax on this monster!!!
Here is where I bought mine, bench is so you can pull it and do it on the table, you want the kit I listed unless you have multiple bikes or ecus...

http://www.veloxracing.com/wp/produc...v=7516fd43adaa

Last edited by gkamp; 06-17-2017 at 08:59 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Here is where I bought mine, bench is so you can pull it and do it on the table, you want there kit I listed unless you have multiple bikes or ecus...

http://www.veloxracing.com/wp/produc...v=7516fd43adaa

Also remember running lean will make it hotter too, if i do 1 thing again with a new bike it'd be a flash tune, best dollar for dollar performance upgrade.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 PM
THEONE

I've heard about the flash tune helping lots on the crossplain r1s but I have a 04/06 and have heard both that it does make a noticeable difference and that it ain't that big of a difference in my model. I plan to have Ivans performance to do my ecu. Would love to hear any info on any difference. With the 07/08 I've heard the flash does a bit more for the bike but not sure how much it helps.
gkamp likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Here is where I bought mine, bench is so you can pull it and do it on the table, you want the kit I listed unless you have multiple bikes or ecus...

6P_FTDL_02 - FTecu FlashTune kit for Yamaha R1 2009 - 2014 - VeloxRacing.com - FTecu Flash-tune Rotobox Graves Motorsports Europe

Mine's a 2008.

So, I'm keeping an extensive maintenance record on this bad boy so I know exactly what date & mileage I've done all these things. (I'm kind of a maintenance freak on my bikes)
Just changed out the oil and filter. Next is coolant flush and filling with distilled water + water wetter. Next is iridium spark plugs. Next is bleeding the brakes for fresh fluid.

Oh, and did I mention I'll be buying this in a couple weeks?!
Stainless Steel De-Cat Pipe to fit YZF-R1 4C8 (2007-2008)
I've heard it's a pretty dang good one (and I like that price).

Shortly after slapping in that midpipe I'll do something with the ECU I guess....and it would also be nice to have fans come on sooner.
I don't mind sinking a little bit of money into Yolanda. I think I got her for a really great price. ('08, 6,600 miles, perfect condition, $6k)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
^_^

.... continued ....Forgot to mention checking the air filter too. If it doesn't have a BMC filter, I'll try one out as I know they are highly recommended.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Here's the link for the 07/08 R1 I think.
6P_FTDL_01 - FTecu FlashTune kit for Yamaha YZF R1 07 08 R6 06 07 XT1200 11 12 13 14 15 - VeloxRacing.com - FTecu Flash-tune Rotobox Graves Motorsports Europe

It's not cheap, so I'm debating whether it's worth buying it....or just having an ECU flash when it's really cold this winter.
I don't plan on doing many mods at all - and I can send in my ECU for like $120. Just thinking out loud here.
The cheaper option kinda sounds better, and idk if I'm comfortable messing w/ my own ECU settings...lol
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
^_^

Apparently, it's real easy to bench flash.
That shows a 2015 - but same concept.

This is something I will strongly consider after replacing the midpipe to remove the cat and get rid of some of this exhaust HEAT!!!
Here's what I'd do with a flash: Fans kicking on sooner. Reduce engine braking. Auto-blipping. Adjustment for exhaust without the cat.
Sounds like a good start. I'm probably not going to be doing many mods - so this would most likely just be a 1 time flash....
gkamp likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 AM
THEONE

Quote:
Just did a decat, full ceramic coated exhaust and a ftecu helped a ton. I'm in AZ ambient is over 110 normally and this setup has made my commuting very tolerable

I'm liking the look of this ceramic coated exhaust. Just got a full arrow system for my r1 and am wondering what the benefits are to having this done other than looking freaking spectacular. So awesome looking. Does it help shed heat?? If so wouldn't that not be a good thing at least in the header section??? Don't racers wrap to keep heat in?? Thinking of sending mine off for this.
gkamp likes this.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
I'm liking the look of this ceramic coated exhaust. Just got a full arrow system for my r1 and am wondering what the benefits are to having this done other than looking freaking spectacular. So awesome looking. Does it help shed heat?? If so wouldn't that not be a good thing at least in the header section??? Don't racers wrap to keep heat in?? Thinking of sending mine off for this.
I've noticed a overall drop in cruising and idle engine temps, just think your radiator is inches away from the headers, if they aren't getting the radiant heat from the headers it will drop engine temp. The ceramic definitely keeps the radiant heat down. I can put my hand within 1 inch of the exhaust after I commute and don't feel much heat. Imo ceramic is better than wrap, wrap will trap moisture and can corrode the piping. My buddy has a performance shop in Oregon where they did this for me, I did a whole write-up on here about it. About 200-250$ depending on what you send, I did the full exhaust and heat shields too. I recommend it highly.

Just4GP likes this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:29 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Mine's a 2008.

So, I'm keeping an extensive maintenance record on this bad boy so I know exactly what date & mileage I've done all these things. (I'm kind of a maintenance freak on my bikes)
Just changed out the oil and filter. Next is coolant flush and filling with distilled water + water wetter. Next is iridium spark plugs. Next is bleeding the brakes for fresh fluid.

Shortly after slapping in that midpipe I'll do something with the ECU I guess....and it would also be nice to have fans come on sooner.
I don't mind sinking a little bit of money into Yolanda. I think I got her for a really great price. ('08, 6,600 miles, perfect condition, $6k)
Not sure how geeky you are or if you have Android but this is a pretty neat app I started playing with that tracks maintenance, you can even upload receipts

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...otogadget.mapp

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Here's the link for the 07/08 R1 I think.
6P_FTDL_01 - FTecu FlashTune kit for Yamaha YZF R1 07 08 R6 06 07 XT1200 11 12 13 14 15 - VeloxRacing.com - FTecu Flash-tune Rotobox Graves Motorsports Europe

It's not cheap, so I'm debating whether it's worth buying it....or just having an ECU flash when it's really cold this winter.
I don't plan on doing many mods at all - and I can send in my ECU for like $120. Just thinking out loud here.
The cheaper option kinda sounds better, and idk if I'm comfortable messing w/ my own ECU settings...lol
If you don't ever plan on changing anything then I agree.... But I've reflashed mine about a dozen times, tweaking speedohealer, fan engine temps and a bunch of other odds and ends. Just food for thought.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:34 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Apparently, it's real easy to bench flash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df4T7xfHw3s
That shows a 2015 - but same concept.

This is something I will strongly consider after replacing the midpipe to remove the cat and get rid of some of this exhaust HEAT!!!
Here's what I'd do with a flash: Fans kicking on sooner. Reduce engine braking. Auto-blipping. Adjustment for exhaust without the cat.
Sounds like a good start. I'm probably not going to be doing many mods - so this would most likely just be a 1 time flash....
Can't do auto down blipping on our models, only up to my knowledge.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:50 AM
THEONE

Quote:
Mine's a 2008.

There's a kit out there as well to remove the baffles from your stock canisters making them into straight through flow just like a slip on system. Not bad priced either. Bout a hundred bucks. I was going to do mine but decided in the future I would want a system so why waste money on something I would still want to upgrade. So I ended up with a full arrow system.
gkamp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode