Wrecked my R1, please help me pick new bike! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Wrecked my R1, please help me pick new bike!

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you all, I was in an accident on thursday and my bike is not looking good.
I was not at fault, in fact the driver that cut me off made a very stupid move. You guys can be the judge, I will post a link to the video. (also explains injuries, I got off pretty lucky)
I will have surgery on both arms later today, and apologize if I don't get to respond quickly.

I was riding my 2004 R1 (pictured) which I love like a child. I still consider it the most beautiful bike ever made, which I know is subjective. I have loved it for a few years now but I am being faced with a very difficult choice.
I want any and all feedback, feel free to chime in with suggestions.
I have never been one to buy new vehicles, and would much rather buy after the depreciation curve levels out.
The first thing that came to mind was the cross-plane R1, which most including myself are biased towards.
I also like the 06-8 ZX10R.
On a different end of the spectrum, I am considering a Kawi Z1000, anything after 2010. I like how the streetfighter looks and they are cheap ($7k for a new one instead of $9k for the used R1). Has anyone ridden any of these and can give a comparison? I am concerned that it will not be fast enough, coming from a 180hp superbike.
It would be nice to be on something a little more comfortable than a superbike which is why I'm considering a streetfighter, but still kind of a speed freak.

Ride safe out there gentlemen, and thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7202.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	940057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7148.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	940065  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Also forgot to mention Ducati monster. don't know much about them but want as much power as possible
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:28 AM
The Doctor's Assistant

Sorry about your accident, hope you heal up well. I also happen to think the 2014 R1 was the sexiest bike ever.

As far as recommendations for a new bike go, looks like you want a streetfighter with the capable engine. So I'd consider a GSX-S1000 (Very capable bike) for an inline, if you want a different engine configuration then a KTM SuperDuke would be so much fun. Or just get an S1000R and be done with it.

That driver must be hung in a public square and be made an example of.
HR1emer likes this.

Last edited by Masao Furusawa; 06-19-2017 at 02:31 AM.
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao Furusawa View Post
So I'd consider a GSX-S1000 (Very capable bike) for an inline, if you want a different engine configuration then a KTM SuperDuke would be so much fun. Or just get an S1000R and be done with it.
*cough* Tuono *cough*
DarkThrottle likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 AM
Venom X/O

MT-10?

My favorite R1 is the 1st Gen crossplane, so I know all about getting flack.

Glad you're alright, cringeworthy video for sure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squadron
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

That sucks for sure, hope you heal quick. Has your bike been evaluated yet to see if it can be repaired. I'm sure the forks are shot but if the frames not bent then all you'd need are an aftermarket pair or used fairings and maybe a few other miscellaneous parts. It could end up being a lot cheaper than buying a new bike,

Lucky 13 Squadron

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 06-19-2017 at 05:37 AM.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:37 AM
I eat my R1

Jesus dude that is some crazy accident video. You are lucky your not dead. 17 yr old drivers trying to kill you. That's what I'm going to try to keep in my mind out riding. Brutal hope you heal up partner!
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 AM
Johannesburg, South-Africa

Sorry to hear about your accident, as for the new bike... for the love of God please dont buy a Ducati!

07-08 R1 is still a very good buy, the 09-14 crossplaines are junk and the 15 + R1's are still way to expensive.

INSTAGRAM EUGENESC

2016 BMW S 1000 RR - Black Storm Metallic
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM
I eat my R1

To be completely honest, I'm looking at buying a supernaked next year to replace my 07 R1 (bad back and multiple knee surgeries just take a lot of the fun out of it).

My short list is the Super Duke R (or maybe even a Duke GT), Tuono and MT-10, with the budget options of an FZ-09 or new Street Triple.

I don't think there are many modern bikes that would let you down, tbh.

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 AM
I'm the happy go lucky mod!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugensc View Post
15 + R1's are still way to expensive.
and even more so are the 15+ BMW S1000 RR.

sig pic courtesy of THE GODFATHER!

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Chillin'

Garage
Get a 1gen crossplane.

And to be honest, it looks as if you put yourself in a blind spot for oncoming traffic. I'm usually in front of cars or directly behind them when there are traffic lights that potentially have crossing vehicals.

I always look at my accidents and try to figure out what I could have done differently.

Edit: After listening to more of the video, I heard that you've already recognized the mistake made.

Last edited by One2; 06-19-2017 at 08:59 AM.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 AM
I eat my R1

damn dude. brings back bad memories. I just recently had a driver cut me off and i went into his back window. I also suggest the first gen cross plane. Thats what i had.

I agree with One2 as you may have been in a slight blind spot, but given that the nissan on the left slammed their brakes on to narrowly avoid the white car, you didnt stand a chance. hope you are well.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM
I eat my R1

Honestly I would be more concerned with which lawyer I would be hiring than a new bike...You even have video!! I'm not an expert on traffic court but I think you should be getting paid big time on this one...
cyclepsycho7 and Yautja like this.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

2017 zx10. I love my r1 but after plenty of rides on the new Kawi especially in a closed environment is better than the new r1. Except for the sound
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
Honestly I would be more concerned with which lawyer I would be hiring than a new bike...You even have video!! I'm not an expert on traffic court but I think you should be getting paid big time on this one...
All depends on what insurance they have. If it's basic liability after the lawyer gets their cut its peanuts.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Banned

Hope your surgery went well. Don't be shocked thowe if it settles 80/20 in your favor for insurance.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:36 PM
For no ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
Hope your surgery went well. Don't be shocked thowe if it settles 80/20 in your favor for insurance.
That's 100% in OP's favor. Left turn in front of anyone in just about any situation, you are 100% at fault.
cyclepsycho7 and WheelJouster like this.

post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:10 PM
I eat my R1

Thx for sharing the vid and hope you heal quickly.

I agree with the J that the new Kawi is much better bike ergonomically than the new R1, but it's not what you're looking for depreciation wise. Since you've voiced the possibility of going Italian, I hands down agree with iamzombie. Tuono all the way. If you get one a couple years old, it'll take a lot of the depreciation off. And it's got a great soundtrack, gorgeous looks, great ergonomics, and they can pretty much keep up with me in the twisties. I was shocked at how well they perform. (I was going toe to toe with one just a few weeks ago on a zx10rr.)

Tuono. 100%.
iamzombie likes this.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treemugger View Post
That's 100% in OP's favor. Left turn in front of anyone in just about any situation, you are 100% at fault.
Not in the states. Bolth vehicles were moving. You have to approach any intersection with caution regardless of who has the right of way. Only way you get 100% is if someone rear ends you or crosses over a road from a side street or exiting somewhere onto your road. They may give him 90% but that's it. And less if he shows them that video. It was deffenetly the other guys fault but he put himself in a bad spot there's no denying that.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:59 PM
z00
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
2017 zx10. I love my r1 but after plenty of rides on the new Kawi especially in a closed environment is better than the new r1. Except for the sound
Are you sure about that? lol

Zx10 feels heavy, no where as nimble as R1. Its spec look good on paper (brakes, suspension), but man it feels like a s1000RR. R1 feels more like a Ducati without the drama. I agree for the street Zx10 would be the better bike. On the track R1 is the better bike. I almost got zx10RR, but changed my mind and went with a R1 for the track. Hopefully I made the right decision. a 16 zx10 can be found OTD for $11k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode