Finally popped my Dragon cherry - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
I ain't scared

Finally popped my Dragon cherry

After living 3.5 hours from Deals Gap the last 7 years I finally took a bike there weekend before last.

I think I must have gotten really lucky because traffic wasn't bad at all. I got a couple runs on the dragon late on Saturday and Sunday with hardly any cars. Even during the busy part of the afternoons cars and Harleys were pulling over to let me pass reasonably quick when I got behind them. Only saw one local cop Saturday and he didn't seem to care that I was running a little over 40 MPH when we went by each other.

I was stupid and took my mesh jacket rather than my full leathers, telling myself that I was going to take it really easy. Then I let peer pressure get to me and pushed harder than I was planning a few times through. I also should have put on new tires before going. I had to stop riding a little earlier Sunday afternoon that I would have because my rear was toast.

I rode the whole skyway early Sunday afternoon and had it all to myself most of the time. Except on the way back when some dude riding two up on a big Victory or something like that saw me coming up in his mirror and decided he wanted to race me rather than let me by. I was impressed by how well he was doing on that big ass bike. But I was annoyed that he was gunning it and running up to 70 or 80 on the straights and pulling away from me at the pace I wanted to ride then I would end up having to slow for him again on the next curve.

Now I want to go back with my R1 again with good tires but I also really want to ride my supermoto there. Need a trailer and more days there so I can take both I guess.

I didn't get lucky with a picture at full lean but Killboy got some decent shots I decided to pay for. Somehow the 129 Slayer guys didn't catch me a single time.

Just thought I would share.

My bike hauler project truck, soon to have an LS motor.

fastrob691 and gkamp like this.

My motorcycle does 185
I lost my license now I don't drive
Life's been good to me so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 AM
For no ma'am

Cool story bro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:24 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Sounds like a good time! One of these days I've got to get there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lucky 13 Squadron

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 AM
I'm the happy go lucky mod!

Garage
I have 3 words for you... Wear Your Gear.

Oh and looks like you had a great time.

sig pic courtesy of THE GODFATHER!

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Garage
Nice! I'll be up there last week in July. Looking forward to a good time!

*2005 R1 Raven 17K, M4 Full System, PCV, 6000K HID (Hi & Lo)*
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Never satisfied...

Next time leave the R1 at home and take the sumo...

2012 Tuono V4R "Factory"
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
I ain't scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
I have 3 words for you... Wear Your Gear.
I wore gear but not my best gear. I had on an armored jacket, decent riding boots, and gloves with some reinforcement and padding. I did have on regular jeans though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
Oh and looks like you had a great time.
I definitely did that.

My motorcycle does 185
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
I ain't scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treemugger View Post
Cool story bro

My motorcycle does 185
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
I ain't scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
Sounds like a good time! One of these days I've got to get there.
You need to do it. I can't believe I waited so long now. It was an awesome weekend and I'm going to be repeating it soon.

I'm in the final weeks of getting a divorce and for the first time in my life I have the freedom to take off for a weekend trip at the last minute together with the $$ to afford it.

My motorcycle does 185
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
I ain't scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33 View Post
Next time leave the R1 at home and take the sumo...
I probably would have taken it instead of the R1 but there's something wrong with it right now. Fuel pump going out or something along those lines. I haven't taken the time to figure it out yet but will soon.

I think the sumo would be perfect on the actual tail of the dragon but the R1 is better suited for a lot of the other riding there, like the skyway.

My motorcycle does 185
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:23 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
One day I'd like to do something like that

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
You need to do it. I can't believe I waited so long now. It was an awesome weekend and I'm going to be repeating it soon.

I'm in the final weeks of getting a divorce and for the first time in my life I have the freedom to take off for a weekend trip at the last minute together with the $$ to afford it.
I'm going to try to make it out there this year but being I live in NY I'll have to rent a trailer to get the bike out there. Due to getting older I can't ride as many hours on my R1 as I used to.

Hope all works out well for ya with the divorce and your divorce laws are more fair than NJ which is where I lived when I went through it. I still haven't fully financially recovered from mine many years ago.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:27 AM
I eat my R1

Sound like fun times. I go there 1-2 times every year (not on my R1 though). Love it every time. The ride up to the dragon from Robinsville is awesome. Love 28 going to-from 129 also (ride by Fontana Dam). 28 south of 19 (into Franklin) is a fun ride also.

Hell, it's pretty tough to find a road that isn't good around there. The parkway is fun also, but the 45mph limit and the idiots stopping in the middle of the road to take pics is a bit of a buzzkill. So is getting a ticket up there. Got one a few years ago and it was like $250 or something stupid.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
I ain't scared

Quote:
I'm going to try to make it out there this year but being I live in NY I'll have to rent a trailer to get the bike out there. Due to getting older I can't ride as many hours on my R1 as I used to.

Hope all works out well for ya with the divorce and your divorce laws are more fair than NJ which is where I lived when I went through it. I still haven't fully financially recovered from mine many years ago.
Thanks. The financial part is the only thing that doesn't suck about the whole ordeal. Since we separated early this year I've had more disposable income than I've ever had in my life.

No kids and we filed uncontested. I've made about 2.5 times what she has the last few years but she makes enough to not need alimony. Plus she has a lot more in her retirement account than I have in mine and I'm letting her keep all of it.
cyclepsycho7 likes this.

My motorcycle does 185
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
I ain't scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_killer View Post
Sound like fun times. I go there 1-2 times every year (not on my R1 though). Love it every time. The ride up to the dragon from Robinsville is awesome. Love 28 going to-from 129 also (ride by Fontana Dam). 28 south of 19 (into Franklin) is a fun ride also.

Hell, it's pretty tough to find a road that isn't good around there. The parkway is fun also, but the 45mph limit and the idiots stopping in the middle of the road to take pics is a bit of a buzzkill. So is getting a ticket up there. Got one a few years ago and it was like $250 or something stupid.
I hardly went over 60 MPH on the skyway. I don't rip down straight sections way over the speed limit when I ride. I just don't slow down for the curves, or at least not more than I need to so I can roll on some throttle coming out.

My motorcycle does 185
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Thanks. The financial part is the only thing that doesn't suck about the whole ordeal. Since we separated early this year I've had more disposable income than I've ever had in my life.

No kids and we filed uncontested. I've made about 2.5 times what she has the last few years but she makes enough to not need alimony. Plus she has a lot more in her retirement account than I have in mine and I'm letting her keep all of it.
BTW, I love that Joe Walsh line in your sig at the bottom. I saw him in the 70's with the James Gang and then about 20 time's there after in his own band.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:00 AM
I eat my R1

I live 5.5 hours away and manage to get there 2-3 times a year, I wish I was only 3.5 hours away. Trying to go this weekend but the rain is looking ugly Friday and Saturday. 28 is by far my favorite road from the dragon all the way past the highlands. I stay off the cherohala because I can get into a lot of trouble on them long fast sweepers.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimer08 View Post
I live 5.5 hours away and manage to get there 2-3 times a year, I wish I was only 3.5 hours away. Trying to go this weekend but the rain is looking ugly Friday and Saturday. 28 is by far my favorite road from the dragon all the way past the highlands. I stay off the cherohala because I can get into a lot of trouble on them long fast sweepers.
I wish I lived that close, your a lucky man. Where I live I have to drive at least an hour to hit any decent places to ride and I'm sure none of them compare to the dragon.

Lucky 13 Squadron

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 06-21-2017 at 03:20 AM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Garage
Counting down to 3rd weekend in July!!! I'm actually pretty nervous about the Dragon...

I did the rattlesnake last year.

It's a 9 hour trip from FL for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	940641   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	940649  

*2005 R1 Raven 17K, M4 Full System, PCV, 6000K HID (Hi & Lo)*

Last edited by RichRaven05; 06-22-2017 at 01:00 PM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:02 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
I wish I lived that close, your a lucky man. Where I live I have to drive at least an hour to hit any decent places to ride and I'm sure none of them compare to the dragon.
Don't do the dragon, you will sell the bike from pure boredom after

I very rarely ride my bike unless i'm going down to the dragon anymore because the roads around home are just so boring now. I'm trying to force myself to get out and explore some new roads around home this year. Trying to clock some miles this year.
RichRaven05 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode